Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 808 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #12106
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Tintable liner with no tint added is clear/brown pea soup.
Will not be clear like a clear coat. Has a brownish cast. Even slightly purplish from the catalyst.
I've never put it over another color paint to see what it looks like.
I must try this some time.
Good to know. Would I be able to order a black (or something close) tint individually that I can ad in instead of the desert tan color it currently has? Don't want to order a whole new kit when I'm already deciding what color to paint the outside haha.

Unread 08-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #12107
mccwho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccwho View Post
Hey magnetman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccwho View Post
Hey magnetman.

You new roller testing post gave me an idea for you.

rollers that can produce different patterns. Off the top of my head I thought of a tiger strip pattern. Humm, that could be interesting.

Oh well for what its worth there it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Not a bad idea. If you carve them I will sell them

Sounds like an interesting proposal. IF you'll PM me a number where we can talk, I would like to discuss.
mccwho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #12108
JoeFont
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for posting this again, but never got a reply. I plan on painting my exterior this weekend and would really like to ensure I get it right. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFont View Post
So this is the exterior finish I want on my TJ. I have the 2 gallon kit and want to know if I should follow the directions he posts or if there has been some experience since his that says otherwise. I thought I read a thread somewhere in here that said that, but I can't find it again. Thanks in advance for any support.

Here are his directions:

Ok here is the write-up for my exterior roll-on with the Monstaliner. First I wanted a smoother texture than the normal roll-out I did on the inside of my tub last year. Magnetman was a big help with doing a few sample roll-outs and figuring out how much to thin the Monsta. Iím new at write-ups so feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to fill in anything I missed.

First what you will need.
I started with the 2 gallon kit in Black
Then added
Xylene 1 gallon
6Ē foam rollers 4 got mine at Lowes, called cabinet and trim rollers
Extra paint brush
2 extra paint trays
2 empty paint cans
2 5 qt buckets
12 cone filters can get them at home depot or Lowes 4 for $1
A sheet of plastic to put under the jeep
1st step prep the jeep. For me this was remove everything I could then do a light sanding, any spots I found a little surface rust I sanded all the way down to the metal then coated with CS. Wipe down with MEK to make sure everything is clean and free of dust and wax.
2nd step Mix 1 gallon of the Monsta then pour into the 5qt bucket and add 6oz Xylene mix well then place a filter over a empty can and fill with liner. Will take about 5 minutes to filter thru. When done throw filter away and pour the filtered mix into paint try. Set up the next filter and get it started. While it is filtering start the roll out. By the time you finish with whatís in the tray the next batch will be ready. Keep going until you finish the first coat.

3rd wait until the Monsta is tacky then roll the second coat
4Th mix the second gallon and do the 3rd and 4th coats and youíre done.

Now the hard part, when rolling it on uses only the foam rollers and roll very thin coats. Once you start donít stop if you stop then start over try and do it at a seam, or you will be able to see roller marks. Do small areas at a time, roll it on with a lot of pressure then go back over lightly to remove any marks, once you have finished a area do not go back over it again until ready for the next coat. It helps if you have someone to help refill your tray and filter the mix so you can keep rolling. Change trays and roller each coat. If you get anything on the jeep itís very hard to fix after. Also I found the rollers started to separate from there cardboard backs after the first coat but the foam is fine. For me it was in the low 90ís with low humidity and I found by the time I was done with a coat it was dry and ready for the next. So I did 2 coats, took about a 30 minute break then mixed the second can and did the last 2. With 4 coats I would say itís about 75% the thickness of a normal roll-out, but since itís not going to be walked on, stuff dragged over it extra I think it will work great and last a long time. Plus if at some point in time it needs a touch up I can get a 1qt and just do a spot fix or get 1 gallon and do 2 more coats.
JoeFont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #12109
ScooterScott
2009 JK Wrangler 

Finally placed my order!!
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:43 AM   #12110
vaiksuotis

I'm looking at the "Directions for purchasing automotive tints to mix with Tintable Monstaliner" (http://www.monstaliner.com/documents...aint_Tints.pdf) to make sure I understand how much tint I would need. Directions say:

"Tell them you are tinting 1 full gallon of a tintable bedliner. You should wind up with somewhere between 1 pint and 1 quart of concentrated tints."
"You add only 8 to 10 oz of what you have purchased to 1 gallon of Tintable Monstaliner + Catalyst mixture."

It sounds like when you tell a shop that you are tinting 1 gallon, they interpret that to mean you need between a pint and a quart of tint. I'm guessing this is because these are the units they sell the tint in?

It seems then, that a pint of automotive tint is about enough for a 2 gallon Monstaliner kit.

Is this correct?
vaiksuotis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #12111
bostondparty

First off awesome stuff, so glad I discovered it. Second, would trail dings like these be extremely noticeable post monstaliner?

bostondparty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #12112
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostondparty
First off awesome stuff, so glad I discovered it. Second, would trail dings like these be extremely noticeable post monstaliner?

Would it be more noticeable after monstaliner? No, it kind of masks small dings.
You definitely wouldn't have any scratches
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #12113
kidddhawk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just ordered. Went with sans panties after months of flopping back and forth on a few different colors. Still have a ways to go on prep, I'm still welding in some patches but I'm getting pretty excited.
kidddhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #12114
swannytd

This thread is so large it's sometimes hard to find answers so sorry if this has been asked before. I could only find mek substitute here in Colorado and although I know it's fine for the prep work clean up can it be added to the monstaliner in very small amounts to thin it? I would like a smoother finish for my exterior and I will be rolling it on. Thanks in advance, I swear I googled and searched this site but couldn't find an answer.
swannytd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #12115
in8kaos
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Getting ready to order today, are there any current specials I could get today? Also, does anyone have a side by side of a painted gloss black side by side with the black monstaliner, like a flare butted to the gloss fender for comparison.
in8kaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #12116
mccwho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swannytd View Post
This thread is so large it's sometimes hard to find answers so sorry if this has been asked before. I could only find mek substitute here in Colorado and although I know it's fine for the prep work clean up can it be added to the monstaliner in very small amounts to thin it? I would like a smoother finish for my exterior and I will be rolling it on. Thanks in advance, I swear I googled and searched this site but couldn't find an answer.
I had the same problem here. I just ended up calling the Industrial coatings and Automotive paint stores. Try to give them a call one of them will have it.
mccwho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #12117
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

With Regards to MEK Substitute, yes you can use it, Magnetman posted in thread #12036 that it was OK.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #12118
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Eric, I'm going to spray my plastic fender flares with black Monsta. I read your website's instructions, and it specifies Sprayway 050 Glass Cleaner. The Home Depot near me sells 050R. I can't tell what the difference is, other than the style of the cap. Perhaps the R merely stands for Retail? Is it OK to use the 050R?

Also, is it OK to add a flex agent to Monstaliner?
Unread 08-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #12119
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead89 View Post
Hey Eric, I'm going to spray my plastic fender flares with black Monsta. I read your website's instructions, and it specifies Sprayway 050 Glass Cleaner. The Home Depot near me sells 050R. I can't tell what the difference is, other than the style of the cap. Perhaps the R merely stands for Retail? Is it OK to use the 050R?

Also, is it OK to add a flex agent to Monstaliner?
The 50R should be fine
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #12120
tjMtl
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Lined my tub with Desert Sand tinted coating. This stuff looks great and I will leave it a week for max strength before I drop the seats back in.

Thanks for the great product!

Last edited by tjMtl; 08-27-2014 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: Wrong color name
tjMtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.