Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 804 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #12046
kidddhawk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

These last few pics are not helping me actually pick a color. I've had some sample chips for a few months now and still can't decide between sans panties and desert sand (with od green and yank my doodle also in the running but farther behind). I have my jeep torn down pretty far at this point but it is just kind of sitting there until I pull the trigger on a color and get rolling.

As far as prep goes, I plan on basically going down to bare metal on the body. My previous paint job from a few years ago is from the dupicolor rattlecans over a sloppy repaint job from the PO. Somewhere in among the layers there is cracking and bubbling and huge chunks falling off in some spots. This pic is an example of the worst part. Other parts of the body aren't as bad but you can tell there is some different levels/depth of paint. Especially along the indented bodylines along the windshield and near the front of the tub.

If I order some primer and some chassis saver and get the body prepped and coated, is there any problem with the jeep sitting outside like that for a few days or weeks until Im ready to line it? Obviously I'd have to clean all the dirt and critters off of it again. The other option is to just wait and do it all at once but that will lead to a bit of a time crunch on my end. If it would be all around better to hold out until I had everything, I'll just deal with that then.

My other question is can I line over one color of monsta with another? I plan on getting a quart of tintable in desert sand or sans panties and doing my grill or tailgate to see what it really looks like. If I dont care for the color I'd like to be able to just coat over it with another and not have to strip it off.

This is a huge thread and I skimmed over most of it. Hopefully you haven't answered these questions too many times before

kidddhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #12047
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

Question! I have a portable air compressor it's a small:

Husky Easy Air To Go compressor like pictured below...

2.0 SCFM @90 Psi
135 Max Psi
1.75 Gallon air tank

Would this suffice to spraying the monstaliner on? I would rather spray than do rolls... I'll do either but figured spray would be faster...

Would this do the trick?
_bfntqbq_2k___kgrhqmokjces_tzkz3hbl_yyl6zzq___1.jpg

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 05:39 AM   #12048
SBpunk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Magnet,

How much do you suggest to cover the cab floors in the pic bellow? Someone did a ****e job on the bed already.
4:10 Gears
2 Inch Budget Boost.
SBpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 10:19 PM   #12049
iamtheecho
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARIS88 View Post

2.0 SCFM @90 Psi
135 Max Psi
1.75 Gallon air tank

Would this suffice to spraying the monstaliner on? I would rather spray than do rolls... I'll do either but figured spray would be faster...

Would this do the trick?
I started out with a a 2hp 4 gallon 125psi max with 4.3 avg scfm @ 90psi made by CH-(cambel Housefeild poor spelling there, sorry iam tried amd not wanting to think too hard tablet sucks) u get the idea tho. It did the job in the tub,as there is alot of stopping and going due to all the angles and it had time to catch up and reach shut off psi of 125. This was spraying at about 65-70 psi with shultz style gun.

You dont mention if you are doing the tub or exterior, if doing the tub it is prob going to be annoying waiting on it to catch up, if you spray at a lower psi it might work ok, just barely imo. In my exp. Lower psi = rougher larger bigger texter, not an issue for some people, personally I wanted a little smaller less rough texter, and the high psi did that for me. Regaurdless make sure you use a water separater at the compressor and air dryer at the gun. The more that thing runs the more condensation/water in the air you will have.... monsta sets faster in moist atmosphere or water/moister in it..... I was reading up befor I did mine, and it was mentioned that jjst sweat dripping intp the can will cause faster setting, or a clump. Pretty sure that was in monsta's ligature somwhere......

Summery ofall of that book I wrote is, you are pushing your luck. You will have things over taped off for spraying, as compared to rolling, so if you get going and find it will not work, you could easily just switch to rolling the big flat areas after you have the hard to get to spots sparyed.

If you are spraying the exterior forget about, I started out with above memtioned compressor, and barely got the first qaurt sprayed, compressor barely maintained 55-60 psi and that was taking my time doing some of the smaller stuff..... I had jeep 90% disasymbled so had plenty of smaller, still fairly large items to get past that first qaurt. IE. crowl, doors tail gate windowframe ect. Too rough of a texture fo me, and comp ran the whole time spraying that quart.
Ended up getting moisture passed the water separater and was overwhelmimg my small dryer ment for autobody spray guns. I ended up sealing my gallon with mek and went and bought the $300 something or other 26gal comp from HF 10 mins away from me. I needed a bigger comp in my shop as my old one was ready for rebuild that I never got around to as small one surficed for the air I needed in shop. So bigger compressor was no brainer.
AND that 26 gallon only kicked on a couple times per quart! Pretty much held the trigger down 95% of the time doing the larger panels 70-75 psi Had no moisture in water separater after about 1 1/2 gallons sprayed. Just a slight little fog on the glass bowl. And the beads in the dryer @ the gun had 0 fading discoloration or any other signs of moisture.
iamtheecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #12050
iamtheecho
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBpunk View Post
Magnet,

How much do you suggest to cover the cab floors in the pic bellow? Someone did a ****e job on the bed already.

Just did my tj. I would guess 2 on exterior. Could prob stretch one gallon on the exterior if going with a close color match, and spaying. Magnet prob would not recommend that as jeeps are generally 2 gallons. If rolling then i am pretty sure 2 gals is mandatory, and if you did run short even if you are spraying u would be screwed. An extra$125 or w/e it would cost, would be cheaper than than the time/labor involved to rescuff, and retape, (cant leave that tape on there while waiting, need to pull it right after last coat is sprayed or monsta will try to peel up with it if you let it completely dry.) In my world time is money, and I feel like scuffing monsta for prep is more time consuming than the original paint, although it is doable.
Better to just stick to the recommend 2gallon kit and get really good thick coverage. Heavier on rockers and around wheels/qaurters to protect from bottoming out on trails, and rocks flying outa the tires, if you run trails you would want it thicker anyway for trees rubbing and what not, I sprayed 2 gallons, looked like great coverage after one gallon and was beautiful, I started to save the 2nd gallon but glad i didnt. I went through about 10 miles of 4 wheeler/atv trails with branches rubbing the jeep so hard I tore a 3 month old rampage bimini top and after I scurbbed all the bark off the monsta.......( tree limbs musta been scratched to hell) it looks as good as the day I sprayed it, not a scratch or scuff on the monsta at all ( sprayed just one month ago maybe only 2 1/2-3 weeks at the time of wheeling that trail. shoulda been fully set considering fla humidity, but just barely, I was pushing 3-4" branches against the windshield frame ( tweeked it enough to crack my new winshield) and front corners of fenders, it still looks great so glad I used both gallons.

I used a full gallon srayed on inside, last quart was used in high wear area areas, driver floor board got like 6 coats 4ish coats on passenger and back as I work out of my jeep alot.(edit: I sprayed much much thinner than rolling it thin.... for instance I only cover about 50-60% of original color at most only used about 1-1/4 qaurts for main tub exterior, hood, and doors, even after 2nd coat you could almost see the original color if looked really hard. By spraying this thin I was able to lay the whole 2 gallons pretty much back to back coats, by the time I walked inside got a beer, and a cookie or something, all privious coats were pretty dry barely tacky and ready for recoat I also felt like I was getting a finer texter this way, as it didnt build,up as high/thick so there fore didnt have much of a settle/spreading out effect causeing a larger texture puddle (that might not make sence as u first read it that but, anyone that is a customed to painting this or other like thick products might understand what I am trying to say, u will too once you see it go on id imagine same principle would slightly apply to rolling even tho the roller lefts privious coats, I am sure it would not lift as much if the previous coats were thinner) I have no experence rolling any bed liner always sprayed it)..... not sure if this is a proper way, it is not recomended at this point in time, but it worked well for me, and prob cut my total paint time factoring in wait time almost in half, thus far I see no ill effects from this process of spraying it).
If you are doing that side rail bar w/e that is on the back expect almost a quart just for that if spraying a few good heavy coats rolling that would prob be less wasteful.... I will prob actully roll brush gaurds myself in the future as it seems wasteful verses spray them little bars. Such a small surface in a circle with a shultz gun spray having a large surface foot print. If doing that top also, another couple qaurts, although Black will go along ways on that black top, and you could stretch it thin, however if wheeling on tight trails then a little more to get a good recomended min mil thickness and dont have issues with it getting scrapped off
I am thinking 2-3 qaurts MY full length/size hardtop, might be steatchng it thin, but I only use my hard top during fla winters.... like mid dec- begining of feb so not concerned about durability, dont usally go out to the woods during these months, and if I do for hunting purposes, the top is off anyway so I can just jump up on the seat and use the roll bars to steady my shot.( and for all those calling me a sissy it gets cold even in fla doing 70-75 on the interstate in 40-50 deg temps at 2am in a wide open jeep for an hour comute)....

.. sooooa 1 gallon + 2-3 qaurts to do tub and top/the tub rails? Might get away with 1 gallon of black if you are not addressing PO's mess in the back? You were not clear on your intentions there, see next paragraph below. Maybe Magnet will jump on and veryify, but I think I am getting you close to the right numbers. Probably take closer to that 3 qaurt mark for the black on the outside if you are going to accent hinges latches ect. In black as I did on the midnight blue tj a couple pages back on page 802. 2 gallon kit come out to be cheaper in the long run.

Edit. Just looked over your question again. Depending on how bad or ruff the previous job is it might take more/thicker/multiple coats to get it looking good and uniform. As long as it is stuck good and not peeling up monsta should stick if prep properly..... that is a question f o r magnet, please edit your post and state what brand was used if you happen to know, or post a pic of it. Magnet has been busy lately and I notice he pops in only once every few days, it would help him to know or see what is there to give you a better estimate. Instead waiting on you to answer his question, visi versa.

My typos and spellimg grammer getting worse and I am rambling time bed, gl on your project I love mine....... Eric feel free to clean up my post and use it as a testimonial if you do such things..... only slightly touched on the great qualities of monstaliner, I am loving it. For all the haters out there prepprepprep that is all I can say about that. I put mine through more than most people would for a daily driver ( hell prob through more than most trail rigs besides rock crawlers) when it was prob not fully cured and not a single chip scratch or scuff, I loved the look immediately upon completion and it is growing on me more and everyday. I love this stuff and get comments daily on it.

Sorry for these two long *** books of a post just really like mine more and more everytime I get in my jeep

Last edited by iamtheecho; 08-02-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Unread 08-02-2014, 04:47 AM   #12051
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARIS88 View Post

2.0 SCFM @90 Psi
135 Max Psi
1.75 Gallon air tank

Would this do the trick?
I would say, no. I don't think its going to move enough air to operate a shutz gun. The 2.0 SCFM @ 90psi is what concerns me, in addition to having a tiny air tank. I suggest hecking your local tool rental stores to see if they rent out a portable air compressor.
I do agree that spraying is much faster and less work than rolling.
Unread 08-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #12052
jski701
2004 TJ Wrangler 

PHARIS88, that compressor isn't going to produce enough air…
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2014, 06:04 AM   #12053
jski701
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Guess I should have looked into your store hours before waiting until saturday to shop…..Oh well, I'll try for this friday.
Hey Eric, any chance you'll be around on friday? I'd like to meet the man behind the curtain..
Anthony
jski701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #12054
iamtheecho
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jski701 View Post
PHARIS88, that compressor isn't going to produce enough airÖ

Ya I agree, not even sure why I said earlier it might barley work....... I stopped after 1 qaurt doing the extiorer with almost twice the specs as that.
Unread 08-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #12055
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyKimber View Post
Rolled the ZJ in Pyroclastic this weekend. Ill have to send some Pics when I get home.

How can I send you Pictures anyway... or just post them?
I am really interested in seeing this color on a Jeep.
937Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #12056
SBpunk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBpunk View Post
Magnet,

Sorry let me rephrase. Want to do the cab interior floor. Thinking a whole gallon is overkill
4:10 Gears
2 Inch Budget Boost.
SBpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #12057
CareyKimber
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 937Comanche View Post

I am really interested in seeing this color on a Jeep.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/k...build-1626817/
Unread 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #12058
JoeFont
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So this is the exterior finish I want on my TJ. I have the 2 gallon kit and want to know if I should follow the directions he posts or if there has been some experience since his that says otherwise. I thought I read a thread somewhere in here that said that, but I can't find it again. Thanks in advance for any support.

Here are his directions:

Ok here is the write-up for my exterior roll-on with the Monstaliner. First I wanted a smoother texture than the normal roll-out I did on the inside of my tub last year. Magnetman was a big help with doing a few sample roll-outs and figuring out how much to thin the Monsta. Iím new at write-ups so feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to fill in anything I missed.

First what you will need.
I started with the 2 gallon kit in Black
Then added
Xylene 1 gallon
6Ē foam rollers 4 got mine at Lowes, called cabinet and trim rollers
Extra paint brush
2 extra paint trays
2 empty paint cans
2 5 qt buckets
12 cone filters can get them at home depot or Lowes 4 for $1
A sheet of plastic to put under the jeep
1st step prep the jeep. For me this was remove everything I could then do a light sanding, any spots I found a little surface rust I sanded all the way down to the metal then coated with CS. Wipe down with MEK to make sure everything is clean and free of dust and wax.
2nd step Mix 1 gallon of the Monsta then pour into the 5qt bucket and add 6oz Xylene mix well then place a filter over a empty can and fill with liner. Will take about 5 minutes to filter thru. When done throw filter away and pour the filtered mix into paint try. Set up the next filter and get it started. While it is filtering start the roll out. By the time you finish with whatís in the tray the next batch will be ready. Keep going until you finish the first coat.

3rd wait until the Monsta is tacky then roll the second coat
4Th mix the second gallon and do the 3rd and 4th coats and youíre done.

Now the hard part, when rolling it on uses only the foam rollers and roll very thin coats. Once you start donít stop if you stop then start over try and do it at a seam, or you will be able to see roller marks. Do small areas at a time, roll it on with a lot of pressure then go back over lightly to remove any marks, once you have finished a area do not go back over it again until ready for the next coat. It helps if you have someone to help refill your tray and filter the mix so you can keep rolling. Change trays and roller each coat. If you get anything on the jeep itís very hard to fix after. Also I found the rollers started to separate from there cardboard backs after the first coat but the foam is fine. For me it was in the low 90ís with low humidity and I found by the time I was done with a coat it was dry and ready for the next. So I did 2 coats, took about a 30 minute break then mixed the second can and did the last 2. With 4 coats I would say itís about 75% the thickness of a normal roll-out, but since itís not going to be walked on, stuff dragged over it extra I think it will work great and last a long time. Plus if at some point in time it needs a touch up I can get a 1qt and just do a spot fix or get 1 gallon and do 2 more coats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viencent View Post
Hi, Im one of those that did the body in Monsta, its been allmost a year and I still love it.
to answer your questions
I did roll on
get the 2 gallon kit
yes thin it and you can get a smoother finish

here is a pic of mine

and a close up too see the texture I got

you can read my write-up here
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/i...l#post11840472
JoeFont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 02:55 AM   #12059
rajivkhandelwal

It's really nice thread.
rajivkhandelwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #12060
1997_Sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking to do the bottom half of the jeep black (top of the flares down all the way around) then the rest of the jeep predator. Cant wait to order it and try it out and hope it looks as good as the others in this thread!

Jeep is already white so no need for a primer for the predator correct?

Also is there a new promo code for the month of August? Not going to effect my thoughts on buying the product but just curious.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.