Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 767 - JeepForum.com

 14Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11491 of 13209 Old 02-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Cuder
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by khselwa View Post
Has anyone lined their flame red TJ with "Lady In Red?" I was going to color match my bedliner to the body but I ordered the paint chips and it looks like a pretty good match.
Yes it's a good match. It was mixed to match at Dr Eric's Lab.

Cuder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #11492 of 13209 Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 PM
khselwa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post

Yes it's a good match. It was mixed to match at Dr Eric's Lab.
Thanks! That's awesome, can't wait to line mine!
khselwa is offline  
post #11493 of 13209 Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Cuder
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by khselwa View Post
Thanks! That's awesome, can't wait to line mine!
Look in my build thread link posted below and there are pictures of the Monstraliner that I rolled.
Cuder is offline  
post #11494 of 13209 Old 02-06-2014, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cullman
Posts: 11,340
magnetman is offline  
post #11495 of 13209 Old 02-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Blk92XJGuy
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 456
So the weather still isn't warm enough, but I have other things that need to be done to the Jeep anyway, so I don't mind.

I was wondering if I could find out how much Monstaliner I'll have left over after putting the 2 coats on the ZJ. I have a winch bumper coming and I'd like to line it as well. I'm wondering if I should order like a quart or something for it.


Also, I'm doing black on the Jeep. How do you think a bumper lined in Pyroclastic would look?

92 XJ - 7''/SeriousOffroad long arms/Bilstein 5100/Aussie/33x12.50 15x8 Kumho KL71s/plus more
98 5.9 -Monstaliner bed liner exterior - 3'' Kolak exhuast - SCT Tuner - OEM rubber cup holder insert - 52mm Holley TB - Complete audio upgrade
Blk92XJGuy is offline  
post #11496 of 13209 Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Grangler
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kingsport
Posts: 61
Im sure this has been asked but i dont feel like reading 700 pages worth of comments.How many coats/gallong would I have to do to coverage outside of a tj? Could I just coat it right over my old paint? Also is it possible to ever get this off if needed?
Grangler is offline  
post #11497 of 13209 Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Blk92XJGuy
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grangler View Post
Im sure this has been asked but i dont feel like reading 700 pages worth of comments.How many coats/gallong would I have to do to coverage outside of a tj? Could I just coat it right over my old paint? Also is it possible to ever get this off if needed?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2 gallon kit should be enough for the TJ, since I've been told it's more than enough for an XJ/ZJ, and I'll be using the 2 gallon kit for my ZJ.

You'd need to sand off the existing paint down to bare metal for it to adhere to the body.

And I'm sure it's possible to come off. I mean with enough sanding and work I'm sure it'd come off..

92 XJ - 7''/SeriousOffroad long arms/Bilstein 5100/Aussie/33x12.50 15x8 Kumho KL71s/plus more
98 5.9 -Monstaliner bed liner exterior - 3'' Kolak exhuast - SCT Tuner - OEM rubber cup holder insert - 52mm Holley TB - Complete audio upgrade
Blk92XJGuy is offline  
post #11498 of 13209 Old 02-09-2014, 05:52 PM
roughknight69
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jamestown ny
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk92XJGuy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2 gallon kit should be enough for the TJ, since I've been told it's more than enough for an XJ/ZJ, and I'll be using the 2 gallon kit for my ZJ. You'd need to sand off the existing paint down to bare metal for it to adhere to the body. And I'm sure it's possible to come off. I mean with enough sanding and work I'm sure it'd come off..
No need to take it down to bare metal just to monstaline it.
roughknight69 is offline  
post #11499 of 13209 Old 02-09-2014, 06:10 PM
rodgers3
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: imperial
Posts: 1,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk92XJGuy View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2 gallon kit should be enough for the TJ, since I've been told it's more than enough for an XJ/ZJ, and I'll be using the 2 gallon kit for my ZJ.

You'd need to sand off the existing paint down to bare metal for it to adhere to the body.

And I'm sure it's possible to come off. I mean with enough sanding and work I'm sure it'd come off..
Monsta does not like bare metal. It needs an non etching primer underneath it for best results.
rodgers3 is offline  
post #11500 of 13209 Old 02-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Blk92XJGuy
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
No need to take it down to bare metal just to monstaline it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgers3 View Post
Monsta does not like bare metal. It needs an non etching primer underneath it for best results.
Good to know!


So bare metal, non etching primer, Monstaliner?

92 XJ - 7''/SeriousOffroad long arms/Bilstein 5100/Aussie/33x12.50 15x8 Kumho KL71s/plus more
98 5.9 -Monstaliner bed liner exterior - 3'' Kolak exhuast - SCT Tuner - OEM rubber cup holder insert - 52mm Holley TB - Complete audio upgrade
Blk92XJGuy is offline  
post #11501 of 13209 Old 02-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Richard_
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 604
from what I understand , scuff up the existing paint to take off the clear coat and scuff up the paint to give it something to bond to
Richard_ is offline  
post #11502 of 13209 Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cullman
Posts: 11,340
Every exterior job varies slightly depending on who is applying. Coverage estimates for rolling is not as accurate as spraying because some people roll heavier. Also depends on what color you will be using and what color you're covering. You may get the bumper from the same 2 gals... you may not. ZJ will use more than a Wrangler. Most I have seen done used most of 2 gals if not all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk92XJGuy View Post
So the weather still isn't warm enough, but I have other things that need to be done to the Jeep anyway, so I don't mind.

I was wondering if I could find out how much Monstaliner I'll have left over after putting the 2 coats on the ZJ. I have a winch bumper coming and I'd like to line it as well. I'm wondering if I should order like a quart or something for it.


Also, I'm doing black on the Jeep. How do you think a bumper lined in Pyroclastic would look?
magnetman is offline  
post #11503 of 13209 Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cullman
Posts: 11,340
The normal job when existing paint is in good condition is to scuff well, solvent clean and install Monstaliner.

Never intentionally sand off existing paint unless there are problems with it peeling, cracking, badly chalking, etc. Correct surface prep is done by scuffing the existing clear coat until you generate a fine white powder off the surface. You are not removing the clear coat only busting the gloss off. In the case where you do remove the paint to bare metal, you never put ML directly to this surface so primer is needed. No self etch primers, only 2 part epoxy primer is recommended under Monstaliner.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk92XJGuy View Post
Good to know!


So bare metal, non etching primer, Monstaliner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgers3 View Post
Monsta does not like bare metal. It needs an non etching primer underneath it for best results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
No need to take it down to bare metal just to monstaline it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grangler View Post
Im sure this has been asked but i dont feel like reading 700 pages worth of comments.How many coats/gallong would I have to do to coverage outside of a tj? Could I just coat it right over my old paint? Also is it possible to ever get this off if needed?
magnetman is offline  
post #11504 of 13209 Old 02-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Blk92XJGuy
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Every exterior job varies slightly depending on who is applying. Coverage estimates for rolling is not as accurate as spraying because some people roll heavier. Also depends on what color you will be using and what color you're covering. You may get the bumper from the same 2 gals... you may not. ZJ will use more than a Wrangler. Most I have seen done used most of 2 gals if not all.
Would you recommend I pickup an additional quart or something then, or just do a lite first coat, and a slightly heavier second coat? I'm fine with allocating the whole 2 gallon kit to the ZJ, since I've not yet decided what color I want to do to the bumper. I just don't want to run out of bed liner when I'm 90% done with the ZJ haha.

92 XJ - 7''/SeriousOffroad long arms/Bilstein 5100/Aussie/33x12.50 15x8 Kumho KL71s/plus more
98 5.9 -Monstaliner bed liner exterior - 3'' Kolak exhuast - SCT Tuner - OEM rubber cup holder insert - 52mm Holley TB - Complete audio upgrade
Blk92XJGuy is offline  
post #11505 of 13209 Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cullman
Posts: 11,340
magnetman is offline  
Reply

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
Kuntryboy816
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome