Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 746 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 09-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #11176
a_l_i_C_i_a

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Hey!

Anyone from upstate NY / Vermont / Lake George area

This Saturday I am going to be here representing Monstaliner

Stop by and get a Pink MONSTA decal!
I think my jeep needs a pink monsta! How do i get my hands on one??

a_l_i_C_i_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #11177
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

I measured fairly precisely with a tape measure, the entire exterior of my ZJ and if anything tried to error on the side of measuring a little larger in some areas than might be needed.

I came up with approx 148.5 sq ft for a ZJ full exterior after taking all my inches x inches measurments and then dividing by 144 to get sq ft. With an average estimated 2 coats over 60 sq ft coverage per gallon of Monsta that is just under 2.5 gallons of liner for 2 coats on the whole exterior. These measurements do not include the door jambs at all.

Took me like an hour to measure everything and do the math but it is good to know the approx sq ft of a ZJ now. When I do end up doing it I think I will get 3 gallons to be safe, would have loved to do it in 2 gallons and save a decent chunk of change on the job but I dont want light spots or to run out towards the end.

Also I just measured and subtracted the cladding, bumpers, and rockers from the previous total since I was thinking about doing two tone with black bumpers/side cladding/rockers and everything above it in tintable liner. I came up with approx 110.3 sq ft for the exterior minus the cladding, bumpers, rockers and approx 38.2 sq ft for the bumpers, cladding, rockers.

So I could theoretically do 2 gallons of tintable on the body and might be able to get away with 2 quarts of black for the bumpers, cladding, and rocker panels. But even if I end up getting a whole gallon of black it would still save me a little money doing it that way vs all 3 gallons of tintable, especially since I think I might do Predator and thats like $50 per gallon for tint and thats not cheap (to me) that $50 saved there would pay for the gallon of white universal primer I need to base coat for the Predator.

Last edited by 98GCLimited; 09-26-2013 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Added info and corrected measurement (forgot to measure the grill first time)
98GCLimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #11178
eduardostewart
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GCLimited View Post
I measured fairly precisely with a tape measure, the entire exterior of my ZJ and if anything tried to error on the side of measuring a little larger in some areas than might be needed.

I came up with approx 146 sq ft for a ZJ full exterior after taking all my inches x inches measurments and then dividing by 144 to get sq ft. With an average estimated 2 coats over 60 sq ft coverage per gallon of Monsta that is just under 2.5 gallons of liner for 2 coats on the whole exterior.

Took me like an hour to measure everything and do the math but it is good to know the approx sq ft of a ZJ now. When I do end up doing it I think I will get 3 gallons to be safe, would have loved to do it in 2 gallons and save a decent chunk of change on the job but I dont want light spots or to run out towards the end.
do i smell a three gallon package deal coming up?
eduardostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #11179
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey magnetman, It probably has already bee discussed but I have a lot of seam sealer in my jeep, and I mean A LOT! Should I remove it all or just scuff the paint on it and roll over it?
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #11180
jawasan
Sk8er4life

1989 YJ Wrangler 

....I have searched, maybe I didn't do it the most thorough job....but i am trying to keep the Islander yellow I have now...the colors I would more than likely use all say they contain LEAD. Does this pose any health risk inside the jeep? I know, silly right? But I am curious (thanks Cali!!)
jawasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #11181
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post
Hey magnetman, It probably has already bee discussed but I have a lot of seam sealer in my jeep, and I mean A LOT! Should I remove it all or just scuff the paint on it and roll over it?
Seam sealer can be sciffed and coated over same as it was in the factory with the OEM paint

People have removed it with considerable effort when they did not like the looks.

Is there sound dampening goop in there as well?
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #11182
Icheer4beer

I started removing my seam sealer and stopped. What a pain. I actually put it back in where I had taken it out. The Monstaliner covered it perfectly. This was an 88 yj.
Icheer4beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #11183
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post
I easily removed the majority of my seam sealer from the floor area with a stiff putty knife, it came up pretty easy because it was hiding rust underneath it
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #11184
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Seam sealer can be sciffed and coated over same as it was in the factory with the OEM paint

People have removed it with considerable effort when they did not like the looks.

Is there sound dampening goop in there as well?
Ok I will just leave it if it doesnt effect the ML, less work.
Not sure about sound dampening material, where would it be located and what kind of material is it?

Live Free,
Brad
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #11185
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
I easily removed the majority of my seam sealer from the floor area with a stiff putty knife, it came up pretty easy because it was hiding rust underneath it
Mine has almost no rust anywhere, not too worried about that. This is my preventative measure and its awesome lol.

Live Free,
Brad
Unread 09-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #11186
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

A glimpse at the old factory

Unread 09-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #11187
Mase

Thank you Eric... I'm placing my order this afternoon in order to take advantage of your September promotion. I can't find the coverage information for the 2K epoxy primer. I need to cover 100 square feet on the ZJ (white part). I'm planning to order the 2 gallon kit... but don't know if I can get away with the one coat kit. Also... do I need to do two coats of the primer... and does the coverage info include two coats.

Many thanks,

Rich

Quote:
Is this all you need to know?

To sand to bare metal use 60 grit and it will go fast. Take that roof down to metal and get rid of the rust
Prime all with 2K epoxy primer. It rolls nicely, get white hot dog rollers at HD or Lowes
Recoat the primer within 2 days or you need to scuff it. You can ML over the primer in 3 hours

Not sure on your ML requirements. May do it with 1 gal ea WHT + BLK/GRAY. Do some measurements. Coverage = 60 sq ft from 1 gal. Can't use tomorrow what you mixed with catalyst today. Do WHT 1 day, BLK or Gray next day

See here for plastic prep
http://www.monstaliner.com/documents...ng_Plastic.pdf

Tips: Have a good helper, good lighting, no beers, women make the best supervisors for jobs like this (I'm not kidding)
No White Castles, eat fruit only or salad with lemon juice and balsamic

Edit: I don't think 1 gal of white will be enough. Do the measurements and let me know what you have
'02 WJ
Mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #11188
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

2 gals of primer is way too much.

Coverage stated on most regular paints and primers is usually based on 1 coat.
So if 1 gallon is stated to cover 350 - 400 sq ft you would split in 1/2 for 2 coats

Epoxy Primer/Universal Primer both cover 80 - 100 sq ft per qt, gallons cover 350 - 400 sf

A 2 quart kit of Epoxy primer would go 160 - 200 in 1 coat, 2 gal kit @ 700 - 800 sf

Side note: We explain ML to go only 60 sq ft per gallon in 2 coats because it's always recommended as a 2 coat system and 1 coat only would not get the thickness you need or produce the results it was designed for
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #11189
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

I think I misread what you wrote referring to 2 gal kit of ML not primer?
Unread 09-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #11190
Mase

Hi Eric... I was referring to the MagnaPoxy 2k epoxy primer. You answered my question... looks like the two quart version will be enough.

Is it recommended to do 1 or 2 coats of MagnaPoxy if I am doing it over bare metal?

Many thanks,

Rich

Quote:
2 gals of primer is way too much.

Coverage stated on most regular paints and primers is usually based on 1 coat.
So if 1 gallon is stated to cover 350 - 400 sq ft you would split in 1/2 for 2 coats

Epoxy Primer/Universal Primer both cover 80 - 100 sq ft per qt, gallons cover 350 - 400 sf

A 2 quart kit of Epoxy primer would go 160 - 200 in 1 coat, 2 gal kit @ 700 - 800 sf

Side note: We explain ML to go only 60 sq ft per gallon in 2 coats because it's always recommended as a 2 coat system and 1 coat only would not get the thickness you need or produce the results it was designed for
'02 WJ
Mase is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.