Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 744 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 09-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #11146
ezekiel97
2012 JK Wrangler 

I know i posted a couple weeks ago about how i messed up my install, with the seats and stuff back in and actually wheeling it...im 1000% satisfied with the monstaliner...all I need to do is order a touch up kit and I'll be set. Great product.

Unread 09-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #11147
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Im going to be doing my ZJ soon I think full exterior Monstalining. Im stuck between white smurfadelic and predator so I ordered some sample chips.

I read from a fellow ZJ member he did 2 gallons for his ZJ in desert sand color and a quart of black on his bumpers and cladding but said he would do 3 gallons of color rather than 2 if he did it over again so I guess I should probably get 3 gallons.

If I do white do I need to do the universal white primer first to get good coverage like I would with the predator?

My factory paint color is chargold. Paint doesnt look that bad at all in pics but there are some rust issues here and there that need to be taken care of and tons of chips and scratches everywhere on it so I think its time to take care of the rust and Monstaliner her.

98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #11148
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I rolled Pyroclastic on my custom center console. I did just one coat, because I wanted a less aggressive texture. The aluminum panel will be painted red to match the exterior.

Unread 09-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #11149
boogernfo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered my kit in Desert Sand! Quick question about the scuffing: my plan was to use a glass bead-blast product that had been discarded from work. The stuff has already been extensively used to remove PVD (plasma metal vapor deposition) coatings from tools and was no longer aggressive enough, so it gets discarded. How scuffed does the paint have to be for the ML to adhere properly?

Not having read the promo clear enough, I ordered the black satin chassis saver, so any spots that go to bare metal, like the rusty spots near the floor drains, will have to get rust-oleum as a primer coat. Do I let the rust-oleum cure completely before the ML? I will be rolling the ML on.

Thanks,
Paul
boogernfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #11150
BRODY881975

Got everything sprayed with two coats. This stuff can get very messy and starts to thicken up very quickly. Had to add acetone periodically. 4 ounces doesn't really cut it right off the bad per instructions for spraying. Other than that so far the product looks good!

Lighting kinda sucks on the last two. Sorry
BRODY881975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #11151
Mase

Product Ordering Help Needed

Hi Eric... I'm about to order Monstaliner for my ZJ below and wanted to get your input on all the materials I'll need. I'm planning to do white on the body and black (or grey) on the bumpers, cladding, roof rails, rock sliders, and trailer hitch. Can you please give me your input on the following questions:
  • What grit sandpaper should I use to remove the paint, primer, and rust? I have a Porter Cable (7424xp) random orbital sander/polisher which we'll be using to do the sanding. I don't have enough air for a DA.
  • After we sand the Jeep... which of your sealer/primers should we use and how much? We plan to roll it on.
  • Do we need to seal the rust some how... what product do we use and how much? I've used POR15 before on my vintage VW's. Do I need to sand this before applying the primer?
  • Is there a period of time which the sealer/primer needs to dry?
  • What prep do I need to do on the plastic pieces (bumpers & cladding)?
  • How many gallons of the white will I need?
  • How many gallons of the black (or gray) will I need?
  • We plan to do a panel or two at a time to prevent being overwhelmed. Do we just pour what we need into a container and then seal the can back up?
  • We also plan to remove as many pieces from the Jeep as we can in order to get a more professional look (door handles, trim, bumpers, cladding, license surround, etc.)
  • Any other tips as we start this project?

Here are the as is pictures...
 photo C90EEE81-D38B-418E-88D1-358D8ABEC38E-7235-0000095A95872688_zpsc3eefa64.jpg

photo 4886F7BF-B0C8-48DB-AAB6-A8B40D942D7F-7235-0000095A7D0E3527_zpsa6bc3317.jpg

photo 53C667AA-FAD9-4D28-B4D1-4A166002F36E-7235-0000095A693D8491_zps9c995cde.jpg

photo 7ED60BB5-6661-4763-A3B6-A8849CEFAF46-7235-0000095A56EBBB61_zps5b3d1ca6.jpg

photo C9FCEFAC-79D7-4F5D-887A-53A8B061A08F-7235-0000095A40CB5030_zps207557fa.jpg
Mase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #11152
Icheer4beer

Eric, please call me back. It's been over a week and I cannot put my jeep back together without the paint.
Todd
Icheer4beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #11153
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheer4beer View Post
Eric, please call me back. It's been over a week and I cannot put my jeep back together without the paint.
Todd
Todd I sent you an email. We can ship that today just let me know what else you needed
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #11154
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Is this all you need to know?

To sand to bare metal use 60 grit and it will go fast. Take that roof down to metal and get rid of the rust
Prime all with 2K epoxy primer. It rolls nicely, get white hot dog rollers at HD or Lowes
Recoat the primer within 2 days or you need to scuff it. You can ML over the primer in 3 hours

Not sure on your ML requirements. May do it with 1 gal ea WHT + BLK/GRAY. Do some measurements. Coverage = 60 sq ft from 1 gal. Can't use tomorrow what you mixed with catalyst today. Do WHT 1 day, BLK or Gray next day

See here for plastic prep
http://www.monstaliner.com/documents...ng_Plastic.pdf

Tips: Have a good helper, good lighting, no beers, women make the best supervisors for jobs like this (I'm not kidding)
No White Castles, eat fruit only or salad with lemon juice and balsamic

Edit: I don't think 1 gal of white will be enough. Do the measurements and let me know what you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase View Post
Hi Eric... I'm about to order Monstaliner for my ZJ below and wanted to get your input on all the materials I'll need. I'm planning to do white on the body and black (or grey) on the bumpers, cladding, roof rails, rock sliders, and trailer hitch. Can you please give me your input on the following questions:
  • What grit sandpaper should I use to remove the paint, primer, and rust? I have a Porter Cable (7424xp) random orbital sander/polisher which we'll be using to do the sanding. I don't have enough air for a DA.
  • After we sand the Jeep... which of your sealer/primers should we use and how much? We plan to roll it on.
  • Do we need to seal the rust some how... what product do we use and how much? I've used POR15 before on my vintage VW's. Do I need to sand this before applying the primer?
  • Is there a period of time which the sealer/primer needs to dry?
  • What prep do I need to do on the plastic pieces (bumpers & cladding)?
  • How many gallons of the white will I need?
  • How many gallons of the black (or gray) will I need?
  • We plan to do a panel or two at a time to prevent being overwhelmed. Do we just pour what we need into a container and then seal the can back up?
  • We also plan to remove as many pieces from the Jeep as we can in order to get a more professional look (door handles, trim, bumpers, cladding, license surround, etc.)
  • Any other tips as we start this project?

Here are the as is pictures...

Unread 09-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #11155
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

This is properly scuffed paint for ML (before solvent wiping)
Back door has not been scuffed yet
I have no idea what kind of scuffing job that thingamajig you got will do

Rusto primer should be dry to touch. Check the directions what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogernfo View Post
Just ordered my kit in Desert Sand! Quick question about the scuffing: my plan was to use a glass bead-blast product that had been discarded from work. The stuff has already been extensively used to remove PVD (plasma metal vapor deposition) coatings from tools and was no longer aggressive enough, so it gets discarded. How scuffed does the paint have to be for the ML to adhere properly?

Not having read the promo clear enough, I ordered the black satin chassis saver, so any spots that go to bare metal, like the rusty spots near the floor drains, will have to get rust-oleum as a primer coat. Do I let the rust-oleum cure completely before the ML? I will be rolling the ML on.

Thanks,
Paul
erickpl-dscn1118-sm.jpg

Unread 09-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #11156
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

2 good coats of white will cover that without primer but the primer will make your job easier and you could avoid a 3rd gallon for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GCLimited View Post
Im going to be doing my ZJ soon I think full exterior Monstalining. Im stuck between white smurfadelic and predator so I ordered some sample chips.

I read from a fellow ZJ member he did 2 gallons for his ZJ in desert sand color and a quart of black on his bumpers and cladding but said he would do 3 gallons of color rather than 2 if he did it over again so I guess I should probably get 3 gallons.

If I do white do I need to do the universal white primer first to get good coverage like I would with the predator?

My factory paint color is chargold. Paint doesnt look that bad at all in pics but there are some rust issues here and there that need to be taken care of and tons of chips and scratches everywhere on it so I think its time to take care of the rust and Monstaliner her.

Unread 09-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #11157
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSB View Post
Ok, thanks for getting back to me. Where do I purchase an basecoat toner with nothing added that you said? I have searched and only found it with an reducer added. I am looking for Jeep PQ7 (Gunmetal Pearl Coat) I will not be adding metallic then. Is there an place you know of?
Sorry for the delay, I know you sent me an email on this

Basecoat tints without reducer, binder or balancer is NOT an off the shelf item. You must go to an auto paint store and have them mix this for you special. Give them your paint code and instruct them to omit all the extra items. Some stores will think you are on drugs when you ask this. Make some phone calls first to find someone who understands what you are talking about. Stores that sell Raptor or SEM bedliners will know what to do
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #11158
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Shirts be here later today
ml-shirt-back.jpg

Unread 09-18-2013, 01:27 AM   #11159
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I've got an extra quart of Black Monstaliner (plus foam applicator) left over from my previous project earlier this summer.
A) Magnetman, can I send it back in for any kind of refund?
B) If not... anyone looking to buy a quart of black? PM me.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #11160
Therios
King of Stupid Questions

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman
Shirts be here later today
That is all good but when will mine be HERE!?
-New Bestop replacement
-Orfab front bumper (DONE)
-CRS rear bumper
-CRS rear bumper tire mount swing arm.
-led third light mods that sit in the two spare tire lug holes.
-because of above - removed ugly third light tower completely
-smitty top end grab handles
-20" LED light bar 10 degree spot (installed now and blindingly operational)
-50" LED light bar 20 degree flood ( changed to 30" in center 3 tabs, installed but not wired)
-windshield mount light bar (done)
-winch 8000# smitty
-Monstaliner complete pan in red head(as soon as they deliver it) (done)
-Carpet removed
-corbeau RS reclining seats
-corbeau water proof seat covers
-corbeau seat mount replacements (removes tilt forward passenger seat)
-AXD 430 receiver http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070AXD4...-Receiver.html
-hood hinge mount for my hi lift jack
-Headlight replacements
-tremendous mt 31.5/10.5 15s on nice alloy rims
-Everything else is stock... For now

-next items
Led dash replacements

Led square lights for 6 free mounting tabs
Led backup lights
Therios is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.