Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 709 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #10621
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
I went this route.

Should I MEK in between the CS and the ML?
Copperhead89 got it right. If you are putting ML over CS within 24 hrs, no scuffing is required so then no MEK wiping required

Solvent wipe is only to remove oils from touching surface and dust from scuffing.

Scuff CS if cured more than 24hrs and wipe with MEK or acetone to remove dust

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #10622
BEETROOT
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 277
Awesome. Thanks guys. I put the second coat of chassis saver on this afternoon, will put the ML on in the morning.

I used the free quart of chassis saver and it covered the entire interior of my tub with two good coats. I could coat a battleship with this extra gallon I bought.
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #10623
jzoomer
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: canton, nc
Posts: 66
How much monstaliner will I need to order to cover my headliner in my zj, I'm assuming 1qt should be able to do it but figured I'd get your opinion before ordering, thanks in advance
jzoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #10624
BEETROOT
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 277
Hey magnet, sorry for all of the questions but... I need to wait until the CS is completely dry before I put the liner on correct? I did a second coat of CS about 12 hours ago and it's still wet. I'm guessing due to the low humidity here in Phoenix.
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #10625
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
Hey magnet, sorry for all of the questions but... I need to wait until the CS is completely dry before I put the liner on correct? I did a second coat of CS about 12 hours ago and it's still wet. I'm guessing due to the low humidity here in Phoenix.
You can coat over CS as soon as you can run a finger tip across it gently without sticking
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #10626
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzoomer View Post
How much monstaliner will I need to order to cover my headliner in my zj, I'm assuming 1qt should be able to do it but figured I'd get your opinion before ordering, thanks in advance
Measure your area, quart does 15 sq ft in 2 coats
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #10627
BEETROOT
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
You can coat over CS as soon as you can run a finger tip across it gently without sticking
Gotcha thanks.
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #10628
BEETROOT
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 277
Making progress...

BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #10629
BEETROOT
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 277
Before:


Stripped:


Chassis Saver:


Monstaliner (still wet):
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #10630
Therios
King of Stupid Questions
 
Therios's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Before:

Stripped:

Chassis Saver:

Monstaliner (still wet):
That looks so good! Amazing how much it covers! Most of those dimples don't even show up. Can't wait to get time to do mine! Any week now. Still have not opened the can from the factory.

So, how long did it take yours to tack? You doing a second coat? How long did you wait? How long for the second coat to tack?
__________________
Therios Pendragon aka Ken Johnson
2003 maroon Jeep Wrangler SE - Soft top
Hard half doors
-New Bestop replacement
-Orfab front bumper (DONE)
-CRS rear bumper
-CRS rear bumper tire mount swing arm.
-led third light mods that sit in the two spare tire lug holes.
-because of above - removed ugly third light tower completely
-smitty top end grab handles
-20" LED light bar 10 degree spot (installed now and blindingly operational)
-50" LED light bar 20 degree flood ( changed to 30" in center 3 tabs, installed but not wired)
-windshield mount light bar (done)
-winch 8000# smitty
-Monstaliner complete pan in red head(as soon as they deliver it) (done)
-Carpet removed
-corbeau RS reclining seats
-corbeau water proof seat covers
-corbeau seat mount replacements (removes tilt forward passenger seat)
-AXD 430 receiver http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070AXD4...-Receiver.html
-hood hinge mount for my hi lift jack
-Headlight replacements
-tremendous mt 31.5/10.5 15s on nice alloy rims
-Everything else is stock... For now

-next items
Led dash replacements

Led square lights for 6 free mounting tabs
Led backup lights
Therios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #10631
BEETROOT
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therios View Post
That looks so good! Amazing how much it covers! Most of those dimples don't even show up. Can't wait to get time to do mine! Any week now. Still have not opened the can from the factory.

So, how long did it take yours to tack? You doing a second coat? How long did you wait? How long for the second coat to tack?
Thanks. I'm very happy with the way it came out. Love the product, love the color.

That picture is after the second coat. I waited about 90 minutes after the first coat then I started going over the small stuff again. It was probably 2 1/2 hours before I used the roller for the second coat.

I'm in Phoenix though and it was 108 today. Definitely helped speed the drying process along. I left the house for a few hours after the second coat so I'm not exactly sure drying time on that. It feels completely dry now, about 4 hours after the second coat.
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #10632
BEETROOT
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 277
The only real issue I had was getting in all the nooks and crannies around where the front seat belts attach to the roll bar. That's a pain in the ***. When I realized I couldn't reach everywhere in there I tried to remove the belts, but my ratchet/torx bit was too big to reach the bolt. So I had to just jam the brush in there a hundred times while trying my best to avoid the belt. I definitely didn't get everywhere that I wanted to.

Magnetman - the addition of the little foam square is great, that wasn't in there the last time I ordered the kit. My only complaint is that I could not for the life of me figure out how to remove the small roller from the little metal handle. I pulled on it as hard as I could, pried at it with a screwdriver, bashed it with a hammer. All that I ended up doing was stripping off the foam from the cardboard. So on my second coat I was limited to the large roller and the foam block. I was in a hot garage huffing fumes all day so maybe I was just doing it wrong...
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #10633
jeep63
Member
 
jeep63's Avatar
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 484
Hey Eric, I sent a PM a while back but it may have been during your account issues

I am getting ready to line my YJ with Read My Lips (hoping it is a good match to my original color: Radiant Fire Red.)

I have some 'new' bare metal from patches I had to weld in, and some small rusted spots.

I cleaned with TSP, and used the pads in the kit to scuff the original paint.

My question is can I use the Jet Black chassis saver from the order as a spot primer, even on bare metal, or can I use some Home Depot spray primer? The home depot primer is their professional line; I believe it is enamel.

I have done so many searches and I see many opinions, so I want to go to the source.

Also, I am hoping to due the transmission cover in Black Monstaliner. Is it possible to get a size smaller than a quart? The cover is not very large; I just like the black/red contrast and hope to keep it.

Thanks in advance; looking forward to the end result.
__________________
89 YJ - Locked and Loaded
91 YJ
95 YJ
jeep63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #10634
BEETROOT
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep63 View Post
My question is can I use the Jet Black chassis saver from the order as a spot primer, even on bare metal, or can I use some Home Depot spray primer? The home depot primer is their professional line; I believe it is enamel.
Here is what he told me about that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
At this point you have two choices

Coarse scuff the bare metal with 50 grit and put CS as primer or get a regular metal primer to put on smooth surface
CS will not stick to smooth steel and ML can not go on bare steel
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #10635
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,904
Follow what BEETROOT posted for CS

The black repair kit we sell covers 3.5 sq ft and is probably enough to cover the trans cover (repair kit is 25% of a quart)

I recently posted a pic of Radiant Red on PPG chart with "Lady in Red" next to it as the best match

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep63 View Post
Hey Eric, I sent a PM a while back but it may have been during your account issues

I am getting ready to line my YJ with Read My Lips (hoping it is a good match to my original color: Radiant Fire Red.)

I have some 'new' bare metal from patches I had to weld in, and some small rusted spots.

I cleaned with TSP, and used the pads in the kit to scuff the original paint.

My question is can I use the Jet Black chassis saver from the order as a spot primer, even on bare metal, or can I use some Home Depot spray primer? The home depot primer is their professional line; I believe it is enamel.

I have done so many searches and I see many opinions, so I want to go to the source.

Also, I am hoping to due the transmission cover in Black Monstaliner. Is it possible to get a size smaller than a quart? The cover is not very large; I just like the black/red contrast and hope to keep it.

Thanks in advance; looking forward to the end result.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote



Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.