Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 687 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #10291 of 13159 Old 05-12-2013, 02:30 PM
DNFJ
Wannabe Desert Rat
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
OK.. this is really weird and interesting. ALL instances with no exceptions of this happening, have been in rocker areas.
Never anything high up in the middle of a large area, quarter panel, hood, etc. WTF is up with this? Need to figure this out.

Just leave it alone for right now. It's repairable.

Is the primer used only on the areas that have bubbles?

How long was the primer down before ML went over it?

What was the date you rolled the Smurf?

What was approx temp that day?

What kind of rags did you use to wipe with MEK?

There's going to be more Q's
Primer was used on whole Jeep.

4 days

5th day (I believe the 24th)

75* about 30% humidity

terry towels


Project Leviathan
'00 XJ 8.5" on 35s

Previous:
'00 TJ 2" on 33" Grabbers
'00 XJ 6.5" on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2" on 31" Baja Claws
'93 ZJ - Stock, Totaled
DNFJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10292 of 13159 Old 05-12-2013, 03:54 PM
roughknight69
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jamestown ny
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman

Didn't you do a 3 color job? DSND, Black and Brown inside?
Yes sir, but I've been toying with the idea of either putting one more coat of dsnd on or going over it with jungle love or the newest green color
roughknight69 is offline  
post #10293 of 13159 Old 05-12-2013, 08:36 PM
lynskynbnd
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: warrenton
Posts: 179
How to keep Monstaliner out of the threads in your tub:

3/8" course thread for seats and roll bar and 7/16" fine thread for seat belts



I used these bolts during CS and ML applications. Tape on the threads acted as a gasket to seal the threads

87 YJ, 4.0, AX15,
www.offcambercrawlers.com
lynskynbnd is offline  
post #10294 of 13159 Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Cuder
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,726
But, you can roll right over the top of ear plugs after pushing them in flush, they pull out quick and easy also.
Cuder is offline  
post #10295 of 13159 Old 05-12-2013, 09:31 PM
pods8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boulder
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
OK.. this is really weird and interesting. ALL instances with no exceptions of this happening, have been in rocker areas.
Never anything high up in the middle of a large area, quarter panel, hood, etc. WTF is up with this? Need to figure this out
Osmonic blisters? Wetter area and folks having some raw metal and not using a more robust epoxy primer? Just spit balling. Those Rick rails obviously didn't get factory primer/paint.
pods8 is offline  
post #10296 of 13159 Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cullman
Posts: 11,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by pods8 View Post
Osmonic blisters? Wetter area and folks having some raw metal and not using a more robust epoxy primer? Just spit balling. Those Rick rails obviously didn't get factory primer/paint.
You're a smart man pods8

Potential answer is in the paragraph just before the summary here:
http://www.metalfinishing.com/view/2...and-adhesives/
magnetman is offline  
post #10297 of 13159 Old 05-13-2013, 03:51 AM
DNFJ
Wannabe Desert Rat
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by pods8 View Post
Osmonic blisters? Wetter area and folks having some raw metal and not using a more robust epoxy primer? Just spit balling. Those Rick rails obviously didn't get factory primer/paint.
My entire rockers were primed. I think you are correct, but I think the cause of it is more because the fact that the rockers are hollow and trap water/moisture inside of them, to be permeated later.

Project Leviathan
'00 XJ 8.5" on 35s

Previous:
'00 TJ 2" on 33" Grabbers
'00 XJ 6.5" on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2" on 31" Baja Claws
'93 ZJ - Stock, Totaled
DNFJ is offline  
post #10298 of 13159 Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 AM
pods8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boulder
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
My entire rockers were primed. I think you are correct, but I think the cause of it is more because the fact that the rockers are hollow and trap water/moisture inside of them, to be permeated later.
I was just getting at the fact the factory primer is usually a rather robust one. We know the rockers in your case didn't get factory primer and I'm wondering if the other folks with blisters on their rocker panels were in areas where they were down to bare metal/rust since those are usually high wear/rust potential areas.

Without looking I'm guessing the duplicolor stuff is a single component (likely rattle can) product? Might not be sealing things off good enough IF we are talking osmonic blisters. Again it was just a spit ball idea, I'm not well versed in it.


I wouldn't think moisture in the box tub would matter in this case though since the metal shouldn't be permeating water.
pods8 is offline  
post #10299 of 13159 Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 AM
DNFJ
Wannabe Desert Rat
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by pods8 View Post
I was just getting at the fact the factory primer is usually a rather robust one. We know the rockers in your case didn't get factory primer and I'm wondering if the other folks with blisters on their rocker panels were in areas where they were down to bare metal/rust since those are usually high wear/rust potential areas.

Without looking I'm guessing the duplicolor stuff is a single component (likely rattle can) product? Might not be sealing things off good enough IF we are talking osmonic blisters. Again it was just a spit ball idea, I'm not well versed in it.


I wouldn't think moisture in the box tub would matter in this case though since the metal shouldn't be permeating water.
Anyone who had slight rust on their rockers (a lot of people do) and then painted over it could potentially have pin-holes that allow moisture to permeate.

Hence why I made the comment about raw epoxy.

Project Leviathan
'00 XJ 8.5" on 35s

Previous:
'00 TJ 2" on 33" Grabbers
'00 XJ 6.5" on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2" on 31" Baja Claws
'93 ZJ - Stock, Totaled
DNFJ is offline  
post #10300 of 13159 Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 AM
lynskynbnd
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: warrenton
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
But, you can roll right over the top of ear plugs after pushing them in flush, they pull out quick and easy also.
I sprayed.

87 YJ, 4.0, AX15,
www.offcambercrawlers.com
lynskynbnd is offline  
post #10301 of 13159 Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Gaducker
Registered User
1983 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newnan
Posts: 63
How thick can this be sprayed on? any pics of a tape edge that shows the thickness build up???
Gaducker is offline  
post #10302 of 13159 Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 AM
pods8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boulder
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Hence why I made the comment about raw epoxy.
You mean epoxy primer? I haven't heard of folks doing raw epoxy over metal first before verse epoxy primer. Not saying its right/wrong just never heard it so I'm clarifying for curiosity.



I did raw epoxy over my camper first because its a epoxy/fiberglass construction, and then went epoxy primer over that surface (scuffed first) then the monsta.

I really liked the magnapoxy in how well it coated stuff as an FYI. I should have leftovers when I'm done painting the camper (I used about 1.5qts to coat the whole camper top so far) and I'm glad to have some around for other future misc. metal things on my truck verse single component stuff that I've gotten mixed results from in the past.
pods8 is offline  
post #10303 of 13159 Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
DNFJ
Wannabe Desert Rat
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by pods8 View Post
You mean epoxy primer? I haven't heard of folks doing raw epoxy over metal first before verse epoxy primer. Not saying its right/wrong just never heard it so I'm clarifying for curiosity.
Yes, I was just at work and posting via my phone so I wasn't typing out the whole thing. Sorry if that caused confusion. Doesn't help that my phone is mostly broken.

Project Leviathan
'00 XJ 8.5" on 35s

Previous:
'00 TJ 2" on 33" Grabbers
'00 XJ 6.5" on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2" on 31" Baja Claws
'93 ZJ - Stock, Totaled
DNFJ is offline  
post #10304 of 13159 Old 05-13-2013, 02:58 PM
pods8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boulder
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Doesn't help that my phone is mostly broken.

Mine was like that a month or so ago and I knew I'd keep limping the dang thing along if it wasn't totally broke so I finally smashed it over the counter to force me to replace it. It was gratifying. Next time I go shooting it's gonna turn to swiss cheese.
pods8 is offline  
post #10305 of 13159 Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM
CavScout102nd
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wantage
Posts: 33
What is my best option to get as close of a look to a military HMMWV? I have a white 95 Wrangler and I and considering doing an exterior job with it.

Cert FF/EMT
PFC NJARNG
95' Wrangler 2.5 SE... Daily Driver
09 Kawi Ninja 650r
CavScout102nd is offline  
Reply

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome