Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 687 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 05-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #10291
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
OK.. this is really weird and interesting. ALL instances with no exceptions of this happening, have been in rocker areas.
Never anything high up in the middle of a large area, quarter panel, hood, etc. WTF is up with this? Need to figure this out.

Just leave it alone for right now. It's repairable.

Is the primer used only on the areas that have bubbles?

How long was the primer down before ML went over it?

What was the date you rolled the Smurf?

What was approx temp that day?

What kind of rags did you use to wipe with MEK?

There's going to be more Q's
Primer was used on whole Jeep.

4 days

5th day (I believe the 24th)

75* about 30% humidity

terry towels

Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #10292
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman

Didn't you do a 3 color job? DSND, Black and Brown inside?
Yes sir, but I've been toying with the idea of either putting one more coat of dsnd on or going over it with jungle love or the newest green color
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #10293
lynskynbnd
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How to keep Monstaliner out of the threads in your tub:

3/8" course thread for seats and roll bar and 7/16" fine thread for seat belts

I used these bolts during CS and ML applications. Tape on the threads acted as a gasket to seal the threads
lynskynbnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #10294
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

But, you can roll right over the top of ear plugs after pushing them in flush, they pull out quick and easy also.
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #10295
pods8

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
OK.. this is really weird and interesting. ALL instances with no exceptions of this happening, have been in rocker areas.
Never anything high up in the middle of a large area, quarter panel, hood, etc. WTF is up with this? Need to figure this out
Osmonic blisters? Wetter area and folks having some raw metal and not using a more robust epoxy primer? Just spit balling. Those Rick rails obviously didn't get factory primer/paint.
pods8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #10296
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pods8 View Post
Osmonic blisters? Wetter area and folks having some raw metal and not using a more robust epoxy primer? Just spit balling. Those Rick rails obviously didn't get factory primer/paint.
You're a smart man pods8

Potential answer is in the paragraph just before the summary here:
http://www.metalfinishing.com/view/2...and-adhesives/
magnetman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #10297
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My entire rockers were primed. I think you are correct, but I think the cause of it is more because the fact that the rockers are hollow and trap water/moisture inside of them, to be permeated later.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #10298
pods8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
My entire rockers were primed. I think you are correct, but I think the cause of it is more because the fact that the rockers are hollow and trap water/moisture inside of them, to be permeated later.
I was just getting at the fact the factory primer is usually a rather robust one. We know the rockers in your case didn't get factory primer and I'm wondering if the other folks with blisters on their rocker panels were in areas where they were down to bare metal/rust since those are usually high wear/rust potential areas.

Without looking I'm guessing the duplicolor stuff is a single component (likely rattle can) product? Might not be sealing things off good enough IF we are talking osmonic blisters. Again it was just a spit ball idea, I'm not well versed in it.

I wouldn't think moisture in the box tub would matter in this case though since the metal shouldn't be permeating water.
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #10299
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was just getting at the fact the factory primer is usually a rather robust one. We know the rockers in your case didn't get factory primer and I'm wondering if the other folks with blisters on their rocker panels were in areas where they were down to bare metal/rust since those are usually high wear/rust potential areas.

Without looking I'm guessing the duplicolor stuff is a single component (likely rattle can) product? Might not be sealing things off good enough IF we are talking osmonic blisters. Again it was just a spit ball idea, I'm not well versed in it.

I wouldn't think moisture in the box tub would matter in this case though since the metal shouldn't be permeating water.
Anyone who had slight rust on their rockers (a lot of people do) and then painted over it could potentially have pin-holes that allow moisture to permeate.

Hence why I made the comment about raw epoxy.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #10300
lynskynbnd
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
But, you can roll right over the top of ear plugs after pushing them in flush, they pull out quick and easy also.
I sprayed.
lynskynbnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #10301
Gaducker
1983 CJ8 

How thick can this be sprayed on? any pics of a tape edge that shows the thickness build up???
Gaducker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #10302
pods8

Quote:
Hence why I made the comment about raw epoxy.
You mean epoxy primer? I haven't heard of folks doing raw epoxy over metal first before verse epoxy primer. Not saying its right/wrong just never heard it so I'm clarifying for curiosity.

I did raw epoxy over my camper first because its a epoxy/fiberglass construction, and then went epoxy primer over that surface (scuffed first) then the monsta.

I really liked the magnapoxy in how well it coated stuff as an FYI. I should have leftovers when I'm done painting the camper (I used about 1.5qts to coat the whole camper top so far) and I'm glad to have some around for other future misc. metal things on my truck verse single component stuff that I've gotten mixed results from in the past.
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #10303
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You mean epoxy primer? I haven't heard of folks doing raw epoxy over metal first before verse epoxy primer. Not saying its right/wrong just never heard it so I'm clarifying for curiosity.
Yes, I was just at work and posting via my phone so I wasn't typing out the whole thing. Sorry if that caused confusion. Doesn't help that my phone is mostly broken.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #10304
pods8

Quote:
Doesn't help that my phone is mostly broken.

Mine was like that a month or so ago and I knew I'd keep limping the dang thing along if it wasn't totally broke so I finally smashed it over the counter to force me to replace it. It was gratifying. Next time I go shooting it's gonna turn to swiss cheese.
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #10305
CavScout102nd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What is my best option to get as close of a look to a military HMMWV? I have a white 95 Wrangler and I and considering doing an exterior job with it.
09 Kawi Ninja 650r
CavScout102nd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.