Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 638 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #9556
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Awesome!

That pyroclastic?

bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #9557
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Ya know I thought it was black originally but I think it may be Pyro
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #9558
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Not the best pic. Needs to be reshot in good sunlight

Sans Panties / Coppa Feel
sans-panties-coppa-feel-.jpg  
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #9559
pods8

Wow this is an epic thread. Its gotten monstaobsessed and I've literally read through the first 7500 posts so far over the last week. But curiosity is getting the best of me and I have some questions. [Note pardon I'm not a jeep guy these days (I did have an XJ with 33’s and 4.11s in the past though ) but some of you might find my project interesting none the less]

Magman I already emailed you some of my preliminary questions over the weekend but I'm sure you get swamped and I've refined some of the questions through my reading so far and all the experienced users can weight in as well. Again I've read to post 7500 so far so I'm still catching up in case some of this has already been covered in the last portion of the thread.

I'm contemplating putting monsta over my home built sandwich panel composite pop-up truck camper project. Reason for doing so would be to have a bit thicker coating over conventional paint and with some texture to it my fairing work would be notably reduced. Construction is fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin hand laid over a shaped foam core (its far more time consuming than I imagined when I started...).

Anyways onto the questions:
1) I've got basically flat surfaces to cover and about 400sqft of it to do. In general I'm looking to do a smoother texture like vincent and I'm not necessarily looking to get a really high build up on most of the structure like you would want in the tub of a jeep. So with that said any idea how far thinned monsta with a smoother texture could be reasonably stretched?

2) Vincent used ~7oz of xylene in black monsta and strained with a medium cone strainer if I recall. I see there are different directions for spraying black verse tinted monsta, any suggested differences in thinned tinted monsta for rolling like Vincent?

3) I thought I read vincent used cabinet/trim rollers (which I assume are those Wizz brand deals) but magman said he used the monsta rollers in a later thread. Who's used what for a smoother texture? Regardless I'd get some monsta rollers as a back up and also I'd want some texture on the bottom of the camper.

4) Tapping off and switching color procedures? I'm thinking the main body would be light grey with the top being white (think of a toyota FJ) potentially. But even if not it would be nice to break up the job between sides and top/bottom so it doesn't get overwhelming. With tinted monsta what are the recommendations to be able to mask off and recoat w/o messing up the base coat but also ensure a good bond on the overlapped area?

5) Smell, how strong are we talking for the days/weeks after while this is curing? I need to leave the project in my garage (HOA rules), during application I can have to door wide open but not for the days/weeks after. Wife will be pissed if the smell creeps into the house, will the door open something like 6" and an air mover fan circulating the air keep the smell out of the house?

6) Physical properties? Any idea of the tensile strength and percent elongation of this stuff or never tested? I know polyurea can get in the 2300psi range and elongation is all over the board between 50-400% depending on formulation. More of a curiosity here.

7) The links for some of the data sheets and MSDS on the magnet paint site aren't working could you post a link or email me the TDS/MSDS for magnapoxy and the TDS for Magnatron 5000 and 160HS?

Since everyone loves pics, here's some from the above description to paint a better mental picture:
I've taken this stuff:

And turned it into this currently:

(Pardon the poor texture over the peel ply, I've been using heat blankets over plastic sheeting to help cure in the cooler temps which leaves that texture, it'll come off when the peel ply is ripped off.)

Overall planned interior layout is this:

Its getting mounted onto this rig to take the place of my current camper:
pods8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #9560
pods8

One more question I forgot. I was planning to use something like sikaflex 252 or (another similar sikaflex product) to help glue the jack brackets onto the camper along with mechanical fasteners, datasheet says its paintable. Per earlier reading it sounds like it would be fine to coat over something like this when fully cured but figured it doesn't hurt to ask: http://usa.sika.com/dms/getredirect....s.sika.com/979
pods8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #9561
goducks3620
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Coworker liked the look of my new Monstaliner so much he ordered a kit for his YJ. We're the opposite of you all up in NY, we're trying to get it done in south Florida before it gets any hotter.
goducks3620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #9562
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Answers

1) We've learned a great deal since Viencent's job. I do not usually recommend thinning for smoother texture with either black or tintable. Just don't re-roll after the 2nd coat and you won't pick up the texture higher than the initial roll. If you insist on thinning, do not add more than 2 - 3 oz MEK per gallon. Filtering is not necessary.

2) see answer above

3) I don't remember Viencent using different rollers but I may be wrong. It was probably discussed at the timw. Any other rollers we have tested have not worked out to too well. You need the open cell design of the foam to spread the material uniformly and not get lines in it. I would stick with what we know thus far and stay out of trouble.

4) Plan to overlap colors by at least 1/2" to 1".
Map out your lines and run tape for 1st color. Pull the tape immediately following the 2nd coat. Let the tintable cure for at least 24 hours.

Run tape again allowing 1st color to underlap new tape edge by the 1/2 - 1" mentioned above. Press tape down well and gently scuff exposed 1st coat where 2nd coat will overlap. Be carefull not to destroy the edge of the tape and scuff the 1st coat only enough to dull it down. You don't need to remove material. just remove the sheen and gently roughen it up. Roll your 2 coats of 2nd color and pull tape immediately following final coat.

5) ML smells but not like automotive paint smell. The more ventilation you can provide in the first 12 hours after application the less it will linger afterwards. If you doing this in a garage attached you your house I would plastic off the the door to keep fumes from easily entering house.

6) Not tested for elongation and tensile but it will be similar to a urethane automotive coating, probably less elongation. You can not compare this type of product to polyurea in any way. That would be like comparing apples to oranges.

7) PM me an email address. We had to rebuild those data sheets recently after a server crash. I don't have them online yet to download

Regarding the Sikaflex, I don't see any problem coating over that with ML. Jack brackets are just for mounting and carrying the jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pods8 View Post
Wow this is an epic thread. Its gotten monstaobsessed and I've literally read through the first 7500 posts so far over the last week. But curiosity is getting the best of me and I have some questions. [Note pardon I'm not a jeep guy these days (I did have an XJ with 33ís and 4.11s in the past though ) but some of you might find my project interesting none the less]

Magman I already emailed you some of my preliminary questions over the weekend but I'm sure you get swamped and I've refined some of the questions through my reading so far and all the experienced users can weight in as well. Again I've read to post 7500 so far so I'm still catching up in case some of this has already been covered in the last portion of the thread.

I'm contemplating putting monsta over my home built sandwich panel composite pop-up truck camper project. Reason for doing so would be to have a bit thicker coating over conventional paint and with some texture to it my fairing work would be notably reduced. Construction is fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin hand laid over a shaped foam core (its far more time consuming than I imagined when I started...).

Anyways onto the questions:
1) I've got basically flat surfaces to cover and about 400sqft of it to do. In general I'm looking to do a smoother texture like vincent and I'm not necessarily looking to get a really high build up on most of the structure like you would want in the tub of a jeep. So with that said any idea how far thinned monsta with a smoother texture could be reasonably stretched?

2) Vincent used ~7oz of xylene in black monsta and strained with a medium cone strainer if I recall. I see there are different directions for spraying black verse tinted monsta, any suggested differences in thinned tinted monsta for rolling like Vincent?

3) I thought I read vincent used cabinet/trim rollers (which I assume are those Wizz brand deals) but magman said he used the monsta rollers in a later thread. Who's used what for a smoother texture? Regardless I'd get some monsta rollers as a back up and also I'd want some texture on the bottom of the camper.

4) Tapping off and switching color procedures? I'm thinking the main body would be light grey with the top being white (think of a toyota FJ) potentially. But even if not it would be nice to break up the job between sides and top/bottom so it doesn't get overwhelming. With tinted monsta what are the recommendations to be able to mask off and recoat w/o messing up the base coat but also ensure a good bond on the overlapped area?

5) Smell, how strong are we talking for the days/weeks after while this is curing? I need to leave the project in my garage (HOA rules), during application I can have to door wide open but not for the days/weeks after. Wife will be pissed if the smell creeps into the house, will the door open something like 6" and an air mover fan circulating the air keep the smell out of the house?

6) Physical properties? Any idea of the tensile strength and percent elongation of this stuff or never tested? I know polyurea can get in the 2300psi range and elongation is all over the board between 50-400% depending on formulation. More of a curiosity here.

7) The links for some of the data sheets and MSDS on the magnet paint site aren't working could you post a link or email me the TDS/MSDS for magnapoxy and the TDS for Magnatron 5000 and 160HS?

Since everyone loves pics, here's some from the above description to paint a better mental picture:
I've taken this stuff:

And turned it into this currently:

(Pardon the poor texture over the peel ply, I've been using heat blankets over plastic sheeting to help cure in the cooler temps which leaves that texture, it'll come off when the peel ply is ripped off.)

Overall planned interior layout is this:

Its getting mounted onto this rig to take the place of my current camper:
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #9563
nnosu
1980 CJ5 

Mad Scientist,

What is the current promo? I need to get an order placed before the price increase.

Thank you
nnosu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #9564
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnosu View Post
Mad Scientist,

What is the current promo? I need to get an order placed before the price increase.

Thank you
See PROMO link in my sig below
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #9565
zaleski
1979 CJ7 

magnetman, i ordered 2 gallon tintable kit, 2 read my lip red tints, 1-1 gallon black kit, 1 quart black, and one gallon of primer and some extra rollers.

and i forgot to enter the promo codes when i checked out lol I was womdering if you would be able to help me out or not, i understand if not, it was my fault.

cant wait to get it on though, 79 cj7 is going to be read my lips red exterior, and black monstaliner on the roll cage and interior, pics will be up when i get it!
zaleski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #9566
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaleski View Post
magnetman, i ordered 2 gallon tintable kit, 2 read my lip red tints, 1-1 gallon black kit, 1 quart black, and one gallon of primer and some extra rollers.

and i forgot to enter the promo codes when i checked out lol I was womdering if you would be able to help me out or not, i understand if not, it was my fault.

cant wait to get it on though, 79 cj7 is going to be read my lips red exterior, and black monstaliner on the roll cage and interior, pics will be up when i get it!
When did you place this order?

Give me invoice # from your email confirmation, leave off the 6 zeros
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #9567
Taylor_44
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered the 1 gal kit Thursday night, but never got confirmation that it shipped. I tried calling and didnt get an answer. Is there a way I can check to see if it shipped, I was planning on doing it this week. My invoice number is 4877
Taylor_44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #9568
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_44 View Post
I ordered the 1 gal kit Thursday night, but never got confirmation that it shipped. I tried calling and didnt get an answer. Is there a way I can check to see if it shipped, I was planning on doing it this week. My invoice number is 4877
Shipping Tuesday

See my post #9554 below
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #9569
Taylor_44
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman

Shipping Tuesday

See my post #9554 below
Thanks for the quick reply
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #9570
Taylor_44
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_44

Thanks for the quick reply
Also, what can I do to prep my jeep while waiting or it to arrive? Sanding, scuffing what grit sand paper or scuff pad type! Any advice is appreciated.

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.