Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 62 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #916
apexjeepinjoe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Please don't post information that is incomplete.
The paragraph below comes from this link: OSH Answers: 2-Health Effects of Methyl Ethyl Ketone

Q: Is there potential for methyl ethyl ketone to build-up or accumulate in my body?

MEK does not accumulate in the body. It is rapidly absorbed by inhalation, skin contact and ingestion and transferred into the blood and other tissues.
MEK is metabolized in the liver, mainly to 3-hydroxy-2-butanone and 2,3-butanediol which are eliminated in urine. Most MEK probably enters the
general metabolism in the body and is converted to acetate which is eventually broken down to carbon dioxide and water which are then
eliminated in exhaled air and urine. Small amounts of MEK itself are also eliminated in exhaled air and urine. MEK and its metabolites are mostly
cleared from the body within 24 hours.
I stand corrected. I know that MEK does go right through the thinner gloves. I do not have a problem with it what so ever. I just wanted people to know to wear the correct gloves.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon(my woman's ride)
2002 Wrangler Apex Edition(with lots of goodies)
1988 Comanche(stock for now)
1970 Jeepster Commando(a work In progress)
apexjeepinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #917
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexjeepinjoe View Post
I stand corrected. I know that MEK does go right through the thinner gloves. I do not have a problem with it what so ever. I just wanted people to know to wear the correct gloves.
All solvents need to be respected. I don't think that MEK actually penetrates nitrile gloves but weakens them to the point that they break easily. Doubling the gloves usually helps to a point.

While any exposure to MEK can make you dizzy or light headed, the short term exposure experienced during a jeep tub project is nowhere near enough to damage anyone permanently BUT... extreme cautions must be observed because the stuff is quite flammable and anyone who is easily bothered by odors should avoid them.

There's another ketone solvent called MIBK which is really nasty. MEK is mild compared to that stuff.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #918
burlyq

magnetman,
Is the promo still going? If so count me in.
burlyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #919
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlyq View Post
magnetman,
Is the promo still going? If so count me in.
Promo #1 has ended...BUT

This weekend will begin The Bride of Promo so stay tuned and don't change the channel!

Hey Keith, what's going on with the signature graphics?
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #920
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Excited to see what this new promo is all about...

Since Keith probably has NOT seen this post, I will pass it along.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:30 AM   #921
aerojeeptj

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexjeepinjoe View Post
I hope you all know that MEK goes straight to your liver through your skin. So please wear the correct gloves.
That sounds scary
aerojeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #922
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojeeptj View Post
That sounds scary
I sure hop you read the full information that MagnetMan posted about it.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #923
apexjeepinjoe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
This is straight from the MSDS

8. Exposure Controls/Personal Protection

Airborne Exposure Limits:
-OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):
200 ppm (TWA)

-ACGIH Threshold Limit Value (TLV):
200 ppm (TWA), 300 ppm (STEL)
Ventilation System:
A system of local and/or general exhaust is recommended to keep employee exposures below the Airborne Exposure Limits. Local exhaust ventilation is generally preferred because it can control the emissions of the contaminant at its source, preventing dispersion of it into the general work area. Please refer to the ACGIH document, Industrial Ventilation, A Manual of Recommended Practices, most recent edition, for details. Use explosion-proof equipment.
Personal Respirators (NIOSH Approved):
If the exposure limit is exceeded and engineering controls are not feasible, a full facepiece respirator with organic vapor cartridge may be worn up to 50 times the exposure limit or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-facepiece positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator. WARNING: Air purifying respirators do not protect workers in oxygen-deficient atmospheres.
Skin Protection:
Wear impervious protective clothing, including boots, gloves, lab coat, apron or coveralls, as appropriate, to prevent skin contact. Butyl rubber is a suitable material for personal protective equipment.
Eye Protection:
Use chemical safety goggles and/or a full face shield where splashing is possible. Maintain eye wash fountain and quick-drench facilities in work area.

Unread 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #924
aerojeeptj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Lol I did, it's just the thought that sounds crazy
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #925
apexjeepinjoe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lol I did, it's just the thought that sounds crazy
All I was trying to say is use caution. I used to work with MEK everyday.

Unread 04-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #926
aerojeeptj

I hear ya!
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #927
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I hear ya!
If anyone using MEK would just do the "wipe down" procedure outdoors you can place the MSDS in the open top file cabinet (garbage pail) MSDSs are written to cover the most severe worker safety situation. OXYGEN DEFICIENT ENVIRONMENTS?

All the warnings listed for solvents deal with using them in confined spaces with limited or poor ventilation and for extended periods of time. Just take the common sense approach and if you are working indoors to prep and install bedliner just pull the vehicle out in the air to use the MEK.

Additionally, if you are working in front of an open garage door this will be plenty of ventilation to prevent vapor build-up and breathing too much.

In ones lifetime, you will breathe 10 times more gasoline fumes at the gas station while filling your tank than you will prepping a jeep tub with MEK.

Coming Soon: The Bride of MONSTA PROMO

Last edited by magnetman; 04-08-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #928
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
If anyone using MEK would just do the "wipe down" procedure outdoors you can place the MSDS in the open top file cabinet (garbage pail) MSDSs are written to cover the most severe worker safety situation. OXYGEN DEFICIENT ENVIRONMENTS?It means if using a repirator in a garage or the like where the fumes of MEK are taking over the percentage of oxygen,,then don't do it,it filters the MEK fumes out,but not enough percentage of oxygen is there for a human to safely breathe through the respirator.
I have to disagree with you totaly on throwing away the MSDS tag in the garbage and ignoring it,they are there for a GOOD reason,to imform people of the possible dangers of using the chemical,being industrial or just the common home user.

All the warnings listed for solvents deal with using them in confined spaces with limited or poor ventilation and for extended periods of time. Just take the common sense approach and if you are working indoors to prep and install bedliner just pull the vehicle out in the air to use the MEK.

Additionally, if you are working in front of an open garage door this will be plenty of ventilation to prevent vapor build-up and breathing too much.

In ones lifetime, you will breathe 10 times more gasoline fumes at the gas station while filling your tank than you will prepping a jeep tub with MEK.

Coming Soon: The Bride of MONSTA PROMO
I'm an International Ironworker,have and still work all over the country the past 30 years.....,we have to study,learn and pass tests about safety before we are even allowed to work a certain jobsite or plant,one MAJOR thing is chemicals/MSDS because too many people have been permanantly injured or DIED from not knowing the dangers and taking the needed precautions in the past...
That's why i STRIVE safety and knowledge of what you're working with..and no one should EVER take it lightly.

I'm not trying to say folks can't use you're products safely,they just need to know the dangers and precautions needed to be safe...

Sorry if i offended,but just felt i had to express concerns about safety

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #929
aerojeeptj

lol I don't think anyone offended anyone, it's actually a kind gesture by teaching us the risks of this stuff
Unread 04-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #930
crazycollinz
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Whats the new promo going to be probably going to down mine this weekend
crazycollinz is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.