Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 61 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 04-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #901
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
Sigs can be turned on and off in your profile.

Got my package yesterday packed very nicely!!! Small dent in the chassis saver can but no leaks!

Picked up sponge brushes, 60 grit paper and block, and a breather mask for paint fumes.
I think Keith is having an issue with images. Anything that is listed as an attachment is loading really small. He is supposed to be fixing those issues today. That might be why there is an issue with the pic in your sig MagnetMan. Go to edit sig and check the bottom of the page for permissions. As far as I know, only vendors have the ability to use images in sigs. That might be messed up right now.

As for the Breather mask, good call. It can be pretty strong, even in a well ventilated area. We had the garage door open and you could really smell it. I would also suggest leaving the garage door open, or the Jeep outside as it cures. My downstairs smelt like paint for 2 days because the door was closed at night.

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #902
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where I work, safety is always an issue. While not really called for in this application, why not take proper precautions with ventilation and filtration...
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #903
aerojeeptj

That MEK stuff is pretty nasty, I literally held my breath while I wiped the floor pans with it because the fumes were VERY strong!!
aerojeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #904
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojeeptj View Post
That MEK stuff is pretty nasty, I literally held my breath while I wiped the floor pans with it because the fumes were VERY strong!!
Have you lined yet? I found the Liner to be stronger than the MEK. Then again, the MEK and the Liner might irritate differently. The MEK didn't bother me much, and I found it to work well on hands so I used that to clean mine.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #905
aerojeeptj

Noo haven't lined yet :/ I just rustproofed the rust spots with the chassis saver. You are right though, MEK can definitely clean well. I got chassis saver on the laundry room tub and it seemed it was permanently on there until I tried rubbing it out with MEK and sure enough it came off. I noticed it turns my finger tips dry and white (until you wash with soap) I'm pretty sure that MEK probably has some carcinogens in it, it's probably something you shouldn't wash your hands with all the time lol. Anyways, I'm hoping to get the liner on soon, I'm extremely anxious but just don't have the time yet!
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #906
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Noo haven't lined yet :/ I just rustproofed the rust spots with the chassis saver. You are right though, MEK can definitely clean well. I got chassis saver on the laundry room tub and it seemed it was permanently on there until I tried rubbing it out with MEK and sure enough it came off. I noticed it turns my finger tips dry and white (until you wash with soap) I'm pretty sure that MEK probably has some carcinogens in it, it's probably something you shouldn't wash your hands with all the time lol. Anyways, I'm hoping to get the liner on soon, I'm extremely anxious but just don't have the time yet!
lol, sounds good. I definitely would clean my hands with it all the time since it does turn hands white and chalky. We used it to clean out our spray gun when we ran oil based paint through it (purposely). The mek cleaned out the gun, and it looked like new.
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #907
aerojeeptj

I think it's amazing how good it works but I'm always going to use it as a last resort
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #908
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I think it's amazing how good it works but I'm always going to use it as a last resort
MEK smells gooooood. Adn I cna't fnid nay evodnece onlien taht ti cuases drain bramage

Sorry, that was a symptom of overexposure. Flammability is #1 caution followed by breathing too much in a confined space but mainly for long periods of time. If you are working with decent ventilation it should be minimal risk. No determination on MEK causing cancer and it does not accumulate in the body.

Just don't work with it in a closed up garage with open flame!
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #909
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
MEK smells gooooood. Adn I cna't fnid nay evodnece onlien taht ti cuases drain bramage

Sorry, that was a symptom of overexposure. Flammability is #1 caution followed by breathing too much in a confined space but mainly for long periods of time. If you are working with decent ventilation it should be minimal risk. No determination on MEK causing cancer and it does not accumulate in the body.

Just don't work with it in a closed up garage with open flame!
lol

I'm probably the living proof that it DOES cause brain damage ( so the lil lady says i have brain damage anyhow..lol)

I've been around and used it ALOT in Structural Fabrication shops,it's regularly used on steel before it is painted with primer and coatings to rid the grease and oils.

Anytime we've used it,it had to be either outside or in a paint booth with ventilation systems,and wearing respirators or HUGE fines were placed to the owners from OSHA...so there IS some kind of serious danger to the health.I would think that stuff would do some serious damage to lungs and throat with the way it eats away at chemicals and coatings.

I've had work gloves that practictly fell apart a few days after some of the MEK had gotten onto them,probably from drying them out so much,chemicaly safe rubber gloves work best and respirators(not the dust mask type),i wouldn't personaly want to be the guinea pig if it actualy is dangerous to the health.

Bottom line is..be safe,safety should always be No 1 in a persons life...I've seen too many lil kids and other halves lose their loved ones because the person said"'ahhhh..it won't happen to me!"

Just lil note...lol...still waitin on the Spice color

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #910
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
I've had work gloves that practictly fell apart a few days after some of the MEK had gotten onto them,probably from drying them out so much,chemicaly safe rubber gloves work best and respirators(not the dust mask type),i wouldn't personaly want to be the guinea pig if it actualy is dangerous to the health.
Wow that is a long sentence. Anyways, the finger on one of the gloves that came with the kit just disappeared on my dad when the MEK hit it. It was kind of funny. I looked over and asked what happened to his finger, and he said the glove just disintegrated.
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #911
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
lol

I'm probably the living proof that it DOES cause brain damage ( so the lil lady says i have brain damage anyhow..lol)

I've been around and used it ALOT in Structural Fabrication shops,it's regularly used on steel before it is painted with primer and coatings to rid the grease and oils.

Anytime we've used it,it had to be either outside or in a paint booth with ventilation systems,and wearing respirators or HUGE fines were placed to the owners from OSHA...so there IS some kind of serious danger to the health.I would think that stuff would do some serious damage to lungs and throat with the way it eats away at chemicals and coatings.

Bottom line is..be safe,safety should always be No 1 in a persons life...I've seen too many lil kids and other halves lose their loved ones because the person said"'ahhhh..it won't happen to me!"

Just lil note...lol...still waitin on the Spice color
Agreed upon regarding safety to avoid being sorry.
Overexposure is what needs to be avoided and common sense needs to be observed.
Work fast, breathe little and run fast if you see flames.
AND DON'T SMOKE WHILE WIPING YOUR TUB DOWN!
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #912
aerojeeptj

I was wearing rubber gloves and they starting wrinkling up and became weak after MEK came in contact. I didn't even see my buddy get any on his hands but he must of because the skin on his hands suddenly turned dry as was peeling! He was confused but thought it was kinda funny, I made him wash his hands lol
Unread 04-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #913
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Look into using "Butyl Rubber Gloves" for safely working with MEK.
These are expensive around $20 a pair but will last a while.
Army's MOPP Level 4 Gloves for those who had the pleasure.

The more common Nitrile gloves won't last long using direct contact with MEK. A lesson from past experience.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #914
apexjeepinjoe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I hope you all know that MEK goes straight to your liver through your skin. So please wear the correct gloves.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon(my woman's ride)
2002 Wrangler Apex Edition(with lots of goodies)
1988 Comanche(stock for now)
1970 Jeepster Commando(a work In progress)
apexjeepinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #915
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexjeepinjoe View Post
I hope you all know that MEK goes straight to your liver through your skin. So please wear the correct gloves.
Please don't post information that is incomplete.
The paragraph below comes from this link: OSH Answers: 2-Health Effects of Methyl Ethyl Ketone

Q: Is there potential for methyl ethyl ketone to build-up or accumulate in my body?

MEK does not accumulate in the body. It is rapidly absorbed by inhalation, skin contact and ingestion and transferred into the blood and other tissues.
MEK is metabolized in the liver, mainly to 3-hydroxy-2-butanone and 2,3-butanediol which are eliminated in urine. Most MEK probably enters the
general metabolism in the body and is converted to acetate which is eventually broken down to carbon dioxide and water which are then
eliminated in exhaled air and urine. Small amounts of MEK itself are also eliminated in exhaled air and urine. MEK and its metabolites are mostly
cleared from the body within 24 hours.

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.