Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 609 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 10-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #9121
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyfe55 View Post
Well so far I am very disappointed in the prep work involved leading up to rolling the liner. The instructions are very vague! It doesn't mention anything about what or how to prep the surface when dealing with bare metal and It seems that I had to jump through hoops just to figure out what I needed to do, because everything that I now about prepping bare metal is/was wrong when using this product. And now I have spend a good portion of the day fixing it. Now I am about ready to lay down the liner and what do I use to do a final wipe down, because if I use the MEK or prep solvent it takes the primer off!
Yes, that is a little frustrating. The MEK is used to remove any dirt, skin oil etc. If you've already cleaned with MEK, just spray your primer, you don't need to scuff the primer, and lay the ML over it...just as long as you aren't rubbing your hands or touching the surface-just wear latex or nitrile gloves. After I had same problem as yours, MEK disolving my primer, I used Mineral Spirits to remove any scuff or sanding dust since I knew that I had previously wiped down the surface with MEK.

mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #9122
takirc02
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyfe55
Well so far I am very disappointed in the prep work involved leading up to rolling the liner. The instructions are very vague! It doesn't mention anything about what or how to prep the surface when dealing with bare metal and It seems that I had to jump through hoops just to figure out what I needed to do, because everything that I now about prepping bare metal is/was wrong when using this product. And now I have spend a good portion of the day fixing it. Now I am about ready to lay down the liner and what do I use to do a final wipe down, because if I use the MEK or prep solvent it takes the primer off!
Agreed that it is a little frustrating. The stuff was originally designed to lay over top of a good coat of paint that has been scuffed up, as in a truck bed. Then it moved on to jeeps where we do everything differently and often have bare metal exposed. The install instruction are definitely a little outdated. From what I have read in this thread, chassis saver gloss or silver is the ideal primer for bare metal surfaces or 2K epoxy primer. The universal primer sold on the website stands up well to the ML but is best over top of something else already adhered well to the metal (ie a paint job that is a drastically different color than what you are laying down). Other primers might be OK, even aerosol ones, as long as they have good adhesion themselves and can stand up to the solvents within the ML. To know for sure whether one is going to work, read the label to ensure it is designed to stick to bare metal on its own, test on a small spot and use MEK with a rag to see if any comes off. ML is formulated with MEK itself so if your solvent wipe is stripping your primer, you may have adhesion problems once you lay down the ML. If you can't find MEK, MEK substitute or acetone or xylene (xylol) are ok alternatives, mineral spirits and other solvents aren't close enough to mimic the solvents in ML for primer testing though they will work fine for removing dirt and oil prior to application as long as you let it dry completely.

Hopefully this helps, I have been following this thread religiously for quite a while now and am pretty sure what I have said is accurate. I also hope Eric gets back in the game soon because this is a great product and many folks including me have received phenomenal customer service...I would hate to see them get a bad rep because he got overly busy with his company's move. For those of you that are frustrated, I think this product and company are worth giving a little patience but can see your pain.
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #9123
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I agree with the instructions being out dated. And as for the primer being used, I am using the primer that Eric has recommended I just hope it's enough an cant afford to redo this project or the liner itself. I am about to go out and do a final wipe down and get to mixing some ML and start rolling! So only time will tell and hopefully it looks amazing in the end.
ospreyfe55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #9124
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

So what is the correct procedure for coating over bare metal? First I thought I read to use acid etch primer, now im seeing the 2k epoxy primer.

edit: Second question. How about coating over seam sealer?
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #9125
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What kind of brush did everyone use to get along the edges? Will a simply foam brush walk? I got a small green foam block in the kit but other than the rollers that was it!
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #9126
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What kind of brush did everyone use to get along the edges? Will a simply foam brush walk? I got a small green foam block in the kit but other than the rollers that was it!
Any small 1-2" brush will do the trick. You are just "dabbling" it on in those tight areas
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #9127
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
So what is the correct procedure for coating over bare metal? First I thought I read to use acid etch primer, now im seeing the 2k epoxy primer.

edit: Second question. How about coating over seam sealer?
Don't coat over bare metal - read the previous posts
Unread 10-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #9128
Neudiin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Seems one of the many thing Eric needs to do is a FAQ from this thread. Of course if people learned to use the search feature inside threads that works too. For example, I searched bare metal primer and 6 pages of replies came up, that is a very manageable number to read through.
Neudiin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #9129
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Search doesn't work well from my phone Since that is my chief source of internet connection I don't have a whole lot of control over how I find my info. I can ask another dumb question YOU aes sick of hearing, or I can spend more valuable time searching through the thousands of Google hits.

I did take the opportunity to skim through the first 100 pages or so and then subscribe so MOST of my questions were quickly addressed. I know more people should actively search before asking questions, but its not as easy for some of us.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #9130
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neudiin View Post
Seems one of the many thing Eric needs to do is a FAQ from this thread. Of course if people learned to use the search feature inside threads that works too. For example, I searched bare metal primer and 6 pages of replies came up, that is a very manageable number to read through.
times a 1000 on a FAQ for things that effect us doing jeeps. And I searched in the thread many times before I asked my questions. The search is the worst feature of this forum its better but still google seems to get more relevant hits.

Maybe a install guide for us jeep guys its officially called "truck bed and jeep tub liner" maybe a jeep tub section in the install guide. Answer the bare metal prep question, the chassis saver compatible question right in the install guide that way its from the horses mouth not well intentioned but not always correct forum users.

I researched for many hours before I did mine and still used the wrong stuff under my monsta no one to blame but me, but it still sucks that my pass side high traffic area is probably going to have moisture trapped under it and rust again and eventually peel up. I tried to do my homework but still got it wrong.
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #9131
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well it's done! And thank god! What a pain that was! Overall I am satisfied with the turn out and of course there are some spots that could have better coverage or that were missed altogether! I am now just waiting the cure time and need my jeep tomorrow so I will only be installing the roll bar and my seat everything else will wait a few days. I will also try and get some pics up today. If I had it to do all over again or have to do another jeep then I will be spraying it on! The jeep has some unusual spots that are hard to get with the rollers and the turn out isn't the greatest with just a brush. But if you ask me spraying is the only way to go!
Unread 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #9132
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well it's done! And thank god! What a pain that was! Overall I am satisfied with the turn out and of course there are some spots that could have better coverage or that were missed altogether! I am now just waiting the cure time and need my jeep tomorrow so I will only be installing the roll bar and my seat everything else will wait a few days. I will also try and get some pics up today. If I had it to do all over again or have to do another jeep then I will be spraying it on! The jeep has some unusual spots that are hard to get with the rollers and the turn out isn't the greatest with just a brush. But if you ask me spraying is the only way to go!
Great. I've sprayed a CJ and have rolled it on...the spray is nothing like spraying paint but is great for the hard to reach areas. Rolling gives a much better texture, smoother, and if you are doing it in a garage, a whole lot less prep to roll . Congrats anyhow
Unread 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #9133
semperfi1919
1976 CJ5 

Just finished spraying my 2nd coat of black in my tub, I am about to lay the 3rd coat down, It was alot easier spraying than rolling, but my tub is off the jeep and stripped down so I didnt have to worry about taping anything off, I used the roller to roll the edges but sprayed everything else, I like the texture it has, I ended up at 100psi to get a consistent texture. Thanks again Eric for a great product and top notch customer service, I know some on here has complained about not being able to get the service they needed but I have been lucky I guess, Got emails even when the bussiness was closed.. Thanks
semperfi1919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #9134
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well here are the pics as promised.

I think the only thing that was bad was the roller started to come apart and got some foam in the liner, but oh well. Like I said before, If I have to do another jeep I will be spraying over rolling! And does anyone know what process is involved if I want to put another gallon down on the ML thats in place?
Unread 10-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #9135
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I believe that after it is cured you have to scuff sand and MEK wipe down then Coat. I am sure someone else will verify or correct. It looks good.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.