Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 608 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #9106
mooncruiser
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyfe55 View Post
I went ahead and used some self etching primer to all the bare metal spots. So the gloss black is the one to use with ML? I remember talking to Eric about it and I ended up with gloss black in my kit. But vaguely remember him mentioning that satin or gloss was not compatible. So when I opened the box and to my surprise was black!!! But it's gloss.
Eric told me not to use self etching primer, that they've had some issues with ML bonding to it...Go over that(self etching primer) with Rustoleum Automobile Primer, he recommended that in one of his posts and i spoke to him regarding the Rustoleum.You dont need to scuff the Rustoleum. If you don't apply ML within the cure time of the Chassis Saver you'll need to scuff the CS before applying the ML.

mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #9107
mooncruiser
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser View Post
Eric told me not to use self etching primer, that they've had some issues with ML bonding to it...Go over that(self etching primer) with Rustoleum Automobile Primer, he recommended that in one of his posts and i spoke to him regarding the Rustoleum.You dont need to scuff the Rustoleum. If you don't apply ML within the cure time of the Chassis Saver you'll need to scuff the CS before applying the ML.
http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgproduct.asp?pid=37
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #9108
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome! That's something I wish I knew before hand! With limited time to complete my jeep, this is definitely not what I wanted to hear! So I guess just spray a few more coats with the rustoleum primer?
ospreyfe55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #9109
mooncruiser
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Awesome! That's something I wish I knew before hand! With limited time to complete my jeep, this is definitely not what I wanted to hear! So I guess just spray a few more coats with the rustoleum primer?
I feel your pain! I went ahead and lightly sanded the self-etching primer I put on, wiped it clean and and then sprayed the Rusto...not sure if it was necessary
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:13 AM   #9110
mooncruiser
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser View Post
I feel your pain! I went ahead and lightly sanded the self-etching primer I put on, wiped it clean and and then sprayed the Rusto...not sure if it was necessary
I don't think you need a few coats, just cover the self-etching with the Rusto and away you go!
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #9111
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What about using CS over the self etching primer? Also where can I find the rusto primer? Ive seen duplicolor and similar brands but cant recall where I have seen the Rusto. Also just cover the self etching primer with the rusto and I should be good to go?
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #9112
mooncruiser
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What about using CS over the self etching primer? Also where can I find the rusto primer? Ive seen duplicolor and similar brands but cant recall where I have seen the Rusto. Also just cover the self etching primer with the rusto and I should be good to go?
Rusto I bought at ACE, probably find it at HD or Lowes? Eric didnt say anything about the CS over self-etching. I would imagine it would be fine, that stuff will stick to anything, it's tough stuff. Just remember to scuff that CS if you go bast the cure time-I think it's 8-10 hours..maybe someone else can chime in regarding the cure time of CS??
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #9113
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Wait a minute. I thought Magnetman said not to apply over aerosol products?
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #9114
mooncruiser
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegWJ View Post
Wait a minute. I thought Magnetman said not to apply over aerosol products?
Never heard that-if you do a search, you will find where Eric recommends and even post a picture of the Rustoleum Automobile Primer.
Unread 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #9115
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yep I sent Eric and email late last night and I woke up to his kind words! And a pic of the What rustoleum primer to get! They have it at lowes and now back to the jeep! Hopefully I can get to lining today or first thing in the morning! I'm on day 2 and the wife is already complaining! Mooncruiser it's the exact primer you mention above in the link. Thanks man, now lets just hope the gallon is enough for the job!

Also so I can mix the whole gallon at one time and it should be good for the second coat
Unread 10-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #9116
mooncruiser
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep I sent Eric and email late last night and I woke up to his kind words! And a pic of the What rustoleum primer to get! They have it at lowes and now back to the jeep! Hopefully I can get to lining today or first thing in the morning! I'm on day 2 and the wife is already complaining! Mooncruiser it's the exact primer you mention above in the link. Thanks man, now lets just hope the gallon is enough for the job!

Also so I can mix the whole gallon at one time and it should be good for the second coat
No problem, good luck and yep, just mix the entire gallon. Post pics when you're done.
Unread 10-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #9117
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser

Well crap I just put the montsa over self etching primer. It was an autobody professional quality brand Aeropro. I had never heard of it, the paint shop guy said he sells a ton of it and never heard a bad word. That makes me feel a bit better but I guess time will tell.
Unread 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #9118
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

He said not too long ago that there had been too many failures over self etching primers.
No go on self etching primer
Stick with epoxy primers.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #9119
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well so far I am very disappointed in the prep work involved leading up to rolling the liner. The instructions are very vague! It doesn't mention anything about what or how to prep the surface when dealing with bare metal and It seems that I had to jump through hoops just to figure out what I needed to do, because everything that I now about prepping bare metal is/was wrong when using this product. And now I have spend a good portion of the day fixing it. Now I am about ready to lay down the liner and what do I use to do a final wipe down, because if I use the MEK or prep solvent it takes the primer off!
Unread 10-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #9120
inovermyhead2
1983 CJ7 

As far as the self etching primer is concerned, it is the single component primer that is the problem (aerosol type). A "2K" professional self etching primer should be fine. 2K being (2) component or simply put, it requires mixing with another chemical before it cam be applied. Just never use an aerosol self etching primer.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/just-another-83-cj7-build-thread-1325757/[/url]

1983 CJ7
350ci Chevy
SM465 Trans
Rancho 2 1/2" lift
Confer Engineering Shackles
32x11.50x15 BFG All Terrains

[QUOTE]whoever invented Torx bolts should be shot in the face, burned then pissed on - saskcj7[/QUOTE]
inovermyhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.