Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 607 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #9091
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Everything is out! - ready to rock and roll, but first a few quick questions. Will the MEK take off tape residue? Previous owner had some duct tape over the plugs and some Velcro holding down the carpet. Also I have some screw holes in the tub that I'd like to cover before applying the Monstaliner. Any suggestions for filling in those holes? Finally there is some sort of goop (looks like roofing tar) around where I pulled off my shifter boot. Again, is this something that the MEK should be able to take care of? I plan on finishing my prep work tomorrow then paint on Friday.

Open to all hints and recommendations at this point. Thanks in advance-

Unread 10-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #9092
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

so the install guide says not to expose the coating to temps below 50 degrees for 12 hours? is here any leway in this? i prepped today and wanted to spray tomorrow. Weather says its going to drop to about 40, this could be my last chance out here on the northwest coast till spring. Should i do it? its in a unheated garage and I'm spraying it.

Unread 10-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #9093
Nightstr
1969 CJ5 

Subd for future promos.
Nightstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #9094
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are colored quarts ever going to happen?
SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #9095
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob024 View Post
Are colored quarts ever going to happen?
Yes...they have them, give them a call.
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #9096
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

2nd day of prep complete. Monstaliner goes on tomorrow.

Unread 10-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #9097
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

well I did it.

After a chat with the tech line in NY decided I should worry less about the temperature and more about the humidity. Its right at about 60 degrees for the high today but its about as dry as I have seen it in 8 months so with 60% humidity I went for it. The guy I talked to (didn't ask his name maybe Eric) said 60% was plenty humid enough for it to cure and that with it that humid the low temp should be ok. Obviously not ideal but better than warmer and wetter which is most likely the only other option this close to a rain forest.
My compressor is a mismatched bunch of compressor parts that I put together for free. It had a hard time keeping 40psi to spray with.
Its the same one I used for the raptor so I expected this. I did not expect the Montaliner to be so thick. You could really see it in the spray pattern as soon as it got down to 40 psi it would start spattering more than spraying. I highly recommend a cheap pressure regulator right at the gun so you can compensate for the quick drop in pressure if you have a questionable compressor like I do. A bit of fiddling kept the pressure where I wanted it for one pass around the tub.

Comparing this product to Raptor is really not fair. Its a much better product you can tell that just by how it sprays and how thick it is when mixed, you can just see the ceramic in it and it looks a bit like metal flake.

And I can say that with experience, this is my third product like this and my fourth project.

Before shots,

passenger side floor, the green is self etching primer and a spot where the raptor had peeled reveling rust.

Here is the driver side roll bar mounting this was the most rusted area and I had wire wheeled it and primed it three years ago. The raptor didn't seem to slow the rust much.

overall inside.

Here are some pictures of the texture and such sprayed at 40 psi or as close as I could keep it with my tools. at 60 degrees and 60% humidity.

macro shot with the footman loop for size reference.

The tailgate bar area and the lip for the soft top.

Top of the tailgate.

overall inside.

driver side floor.

so far very pleased I look forward to the cured final product.
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #9098
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Yea no roller pan or mixing sticks...
Unread 10-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #9099
Neudiin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepBeepGoJeep View Post
Yea no roller pan or mixing sticks...
1 or 2 gal kit?
Neudiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #9100
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Does anybody know if this stuff is ok to lay overtop of bondo?
Unread 10-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #9101
semperfi1919
1976 CJ5 

Was just wanting to make sure I was right, I got my tub sanded down today, and alot of it is to the metal, I already have my primer and monstaliner, How long after I spray the primer can I wait before I put on the monstaliner before I have to scuff up the primer. My primer is the universal high solids primer I got with the kit, Also do I need to wait the full 12 hrs of cure time on the primer before spraying the monstaliner on top of it, Thanks
semperfi1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #9102
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I cant seem to find the answer but does anyone remember what color Chassis saver was best to use before MLing? I thought he said something about black not being compatible but it was either the satin or the gloss! Also I had some light rust after pulling my roll bar and after cleaning up some of the factory seam sealer, I know have bare metal, is it ok to use CS over it or should I just lay down the ML over the bare metal? And if I need to put the CS down on the bare metal should I do that before I lay down the new seam sealer?
ospreyfe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #9103
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyfe55 View Post
I cant seem to find the answer but does anyone remember what color Chassis saver was best to use before MLing? I thought he said something about black not being compatible but it was either the satin or the gloss! Also I had some light rust after pulling my roll bar and after cleaning up some of the factory seam sealer, I know have bare metal, is it ok to use CS over it or should I just lay down the ML over the bare metal? And if I need to put the CS down on the bare metal should I do that before I lay down the new seam sealer?
Gloss black. Don't apply th ML to the bare metal
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #9104
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

ML over Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1919 View Post
Was just wanting to make sure I was right, I got my tub sanded down today, and alot of it is to the metal, I already have my primer and monstaliner, How long after I spray the primer can I wait before I put on the monstaliner before I have to scuff up the primer. My primer is the universal high solids primer I got with the kit, Also do I need to wait the full 12 hrs of cure time on the primer before spraying the monstaliner on top of it, Thanks
You want to apply the Monsta with in the Re-coat window of the primer (what ever that is) If you what till it is cured you will have to scuff sand.
When I did mine I used PPG epoxy primer and If I recall it had a 48 hr re-coat window. I waited 12 hours (the next day and sprayed the Monsta.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]

Last edited by Jims-87YJ; 10-05-2012 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: missing word
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #9105
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser

Gloss black. Don't apply th ML to the bare metal
I went ahead and used some self etching primer to all the bare metal spots. So the gloss black is the one to use with ML? I remember talking to Eric about it and I ended up with gloss black in my kit. But vaguely remember him mentioning that satin or gloss was not compatible. So when I opened the box and to my surprise was black!!! But it's gloss.
ospreyfe55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.