Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 606 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #9076
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

MEK (substitute)???

ospreyfe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #9077
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I could not find MEK, but Lowe's sells Sells a product called "MEK substitute" that Magnetman says works just as well.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #9078
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I put in one gallon Black ML on my Inca Gold TJ tub. It took all of the one gallon in 2 coats rolled to cover it so none of the original color came through. I would guess a LJ would run a little thin.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #9079
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims-87YJ View Post
Yes I could not find MEK, but Lowe's sells Sells a product called "MEK substitute" that Magnetman says works just as well.
MEK substitute is fine - Ace Hardware sells MEK Substitute. Buy 2 qts, take 1 back if you don't use it.

Last edited by mooncruiser; 10-02-2012 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: add text
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #9080
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyfe55 View Post
Ok I am getting a little nervous! I bought a 1 gal kit and some extra rollers a couple of months ago and I am planning on tackling this project this weekend on my LJ. However I am now getting stressed out and think I won't have enough to line my tub! For the guys that have done their TJ how much of the whole gallon did you used? Or is there anyone out there that has lined their LJ? Should I put this off until I can get another gallon or will it be enough?
Took 1 gal to do the interior of my CJ7, almost every bit.
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #9081
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyfe55 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am doing a LJ tub and hope that the 1 gal kit I got will be enough. I was also wondering about the drain holes. I replaced all the factory metal plugs with the JK style rubber plugs. My worry is that the ML will be to thick for the plugs to stay in place. But it hard to tell in some of the pics from other members projects. Do you have any insight or suggestions on this as well or does anyone else have any advice on this matter? And how high do you recommend going up the side of the tub? I have seen some that go up over the lip where the soft top slides into. My kids have scratched the top of the tub up so I thought about doing the lip as well!
I pulled all my drain plugs, not sure if they are the same style on your LJ...I plugged all threaded holes with those squishable earplugs-you can buy them cheap at Wally World or a drugstore. Just coat the entire tub, 2 coats, and pull the ear plugs from the threaded holes as soon as you're done with the 2nd coat. I used 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" taps to just chase the threads once it had cured so I didn't have any problems putting everything back together. If you don't have the taps go to your local parts store and buy a cheap set-I bought a nice set just so I don't have to worry about the cheap ones breaking off in hole I'm threading for other times, but a cheap set would fine for cleaning up these threads.
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #9082
Netrix
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Dude, if anyone researches hard before purchasing something, it's me. My lift sat in my living room for several months before it got installed, and I took like 4 years to pick out the parts. My job is research. So believe me, I'm on top of the research thing. Like I said, I did my research and did NOT come across the 1 year shelf life thing until long AFTER purchasing....so I'm guessing some others had the same issue I did, and they added some info to their website.

Since you purchased it in May, you better get to it. You'll be in the same boat I'm in...winter approaching and weather issues to prevent you from using the product and you'll end up with a wasted can of gum next summer when you finally get the opportunity to do something with it. btw, my box never saw temps outside 60-80°F, so you can't blame cold/heat for anything.
I ran into the same thing, good to know I wasn't the only one. Bought it when the first sale went up. Stored in my finished basement where we've stored paint for years and years. It was about 1.5-2 years after purchase before I was ready for it. It all separated and settled in the bottom of the can. Destroyed the paddle trying to mix it, since the black was hardened in the bottom. Ended up being to many chunks, stringy pieces, and hard pieces stuck to the bottom. I didn't want to try to apply it and be stuck with the results. Never seen info on shelf life until after I opened the can. Had to search pretty deep on the website to find the shelf life.

E-mailed magnetman and he recommended buying another paddle to mix it (since the one I had got destroyed), but it had already been 2 days since I put the activator in (early Saturday morning). So I opted not to even try that.

Ended up just buying another gallon to get it done. Second can I mixed without any issues. Partially my fault for not preparing before I purchased. Still should be made clear this stuff should not sit for very long.
Netrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #9083
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

I placed an order over the weekend. Should I be receiving a tracking number or anything? I was hoping to get it this week?????
Jevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #9084
morr
2007 JK Wrangler 

sorry is this has been asked,but i have a 97 wrangler sport color red . what color would match that the best to do the grill and tale gate
morr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #9085
Jevy
1984 CJ7 

How much time should i budget to actually apply one coat for a tub interior. Also did you guys remove the roll bar or just do it all together

My M416 with Roof Top Tent [URL="http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84244-Jevy-s-humble-M-416-build-thread"]Build[/URL] Thread
Jevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #9086
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevy View Post
How much time should i budget to actually apply one coat for a tub interior. Also did you guys remove the roll bar or just do it all together
Definitely remove roll bar or anything else bolted to tub. Use ear plugs, rolled up paper/tape to plug the threaded holes to keep the ML off threads.
Figure about an hour to roll the first coat. The most time consuming part is "cutting in" all the corners, tight spots that you can't get the roller.
Unread 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #9087
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i left roll bar and seam sealer in, lined everything.
BAMFpullin719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #9088
mooncruiser

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser View Post
Definitely remove roll bar or anything else bolted to tub. Use ear plugs, rolled up paper/tape to plug the threaded holes to keep the ML off threads.
Figure about an hour to roll the first coat. The most time consuming part is "cutting in" all the corners, tight spots that you can't get the roller.
Only reason I removed bolted items is that you are going to have to mess up the liner if you need to remove it later- same goes for window hinges, door hinges, tailgate...you get the picture hopefully.
Unread 10-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #9089
Netrix
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just put wide painters tape around the flat bracket where the sports bar mounts to the tub. Then traced the bracket with a razor blade to trim the tape. Bit of newspaper around the areas of the bars I didn't want to slop paint on. Wrapped tin foil around the wiring in the tub. Also used some fishing line to keep the wiring up out of the way so I could work around it. Plastic grocery bags + tape over pedals, shifter, steering wheel, and transfer case handle.

After you prep it, applying it is easy. Wish I would've got a mini roller for the hard to reach areas.
Netrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #9090
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just an FYI after the fact I found that Big Lots (the store) sells a big box of the Foam ear plugs for only $5.00 I wish I had them when I did mine...
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.