Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 603 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 09-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #9031
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser

I didn't take any pics of the sealer but you're right, just put a bead down like you are caulking a bathtub and smooth it with your finger. It doesn't have to be perfect since the ML is going to hide any imperfections. Just the edges, inside corners where the sheet metal of the tub and fenders meet. The seam sealer comes in a caulking tube and fits in a standard caulking gun. You can run a bead all the way down each side all the way along the sides and down where the roll bar bolts up...just anywhere you want a nice seam.
Thanks for the advice. I am doing a LJ tub and hope that the 1 gal kit I got will be enough. I was also wondering about the drain holes. I replaced all the factory metal plugs with the JK style rubber plugs. My worry is that the ML will be to thick for the plugs to stay in place. But it hard to tell in some of the pics from other members projects. Do you have any insight or suggestions on this as well or does anyone else have any advice on this matter? And how high do you recommend going up the side of the tub? I have seen some that go up over the lip where the soft top slides into. My kids have scratched the top of the tub up so I thought about doing the lip as well!

ospreyfe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #9032
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I did the lip and it fits just fine with the soft top. I don't have any problems with the drain plugs as I took mine out. BUT..before i did that I ran with them in. They stayed put just fine.
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #9033
BchCruzr

An issue with the liner becoming tacky in the heat.
BchCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #9034
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BchCruzr View Post
An issue with the liner becoming tacky in the heat.
definitely not. the underside of my jeep was within an inch of the muffler at one point. neither the liner under the jeep or inside the jeep directly above the muffler became even slightly soft. this stuff holds up very well to radiant heat.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #9035
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyfe55 View Post
Unlimited I just read on the monstaliner website that the shelf life on an unopened can will last up to 12months! I'm surprised you got anything after waiting 2 1/2 years!
well there you go. don't waste your money on this product unless you can set several days aside for the project pretty quick.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #9036
caninjunn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lined the hard top today! Fenders and tub next...
caninjunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #9037
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
well there you go. don't waste your money on this product unless you can set several days aside for the project pretty quick.
hahaha "2.5 years" & "pretty quick"....
not even close to the same thing!
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #9038
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ View Post
hahaha "2.5 years" & "pretty quick"....
not even close to the same thing!
I just checked, it was actually less than 2 years. obviously it was my mistake buying the product too early, while it was "on sale" with a forum deal (which was suggested to expire yet never has). Here's my first post here. I've been too busy with life to spend several days prepping my jeep and a trailer that wasn't even finished.

Clearly, I was suckered in hook line and sinker. Oh well, wasn't the first waste of money on my Jeep, and won't be the last.
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #9039
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I just checked, it was actually less than 2 years. obviously it was my mistake buying the product too early, while it was "on sale" with a forum deal (which was suggested to expire yet never has). Here's my first post here. I've been too busy with life to spend several days prepping my jeep and a trailer that wasn't even finished.

Clearly, I was suckered in hook line and sinker. Oh well, wasn't the first waste of money on my Jeep, and won't be the last.
I can see where you are coming from.. but dont think you should doubt the product if it was in fact your fault. just my .02 I wouldnt have even attempted to use it after that long. most stuff like this has a short shelf life.
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #9040
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ View Post
I can see where you are coming from.. but dont think you should doubt the product if it was in fact your fault. just my .02 I wouldnt have even attempted to use it after that long. most stuff like this has a short shelf life.
when I bought the product I was not aware of a short shelf life. Heck I've got stuff in my fridge older than 2 years, and I'll still eat it. I can't even attempt to do anything with painting half the year anyway...it's either too cold or too hot. The shelf life isn't stated anywhere in the documentation, in the adds online or on the box I've got....but it sounds like its on the website now, which is news to me.

And say you're like me and busy with life, and can only apply this stuff in smallish window in the year, when the temp is right over a consistent time and the hard top is off....what would you do with it if not use it? throw it away? just caulk up a wasted couple hundred bucks? keep the box and stare at it?

I don't know about you, but I don't have a couple hundred bucks to throw away on a regular basis. If you do, I'm happy for you.

And, like I said, it's my fault. Sucks. I wasted my money. I was hoping there was a way to recover some of what I've got so I can use it.
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #9041
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is why we ask questions. I am a cheap sum*****, so I verify EVERYTHING before making a purchase. I would say its a good mix of blame on not being able to use the entire contents of the can. YOU should have asked, and I believe Monstaliner should state clearly that the product has an approx 1 year shelf life.

Hard lesson learned, but now you will research better before jumpin on a deal before you are ready to utilize it.

I am kind of a hypocrit since i purchased mine in May and haven't done my tub yet.
USMCBuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #9042
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
This is why we ask questions. I am a cheap sum*****, so I verify EVERYTHING before making a purchase. I would say its a good mix of blame on not being able to use the entire contents of the can. YOU should have asked, and I believe Monstaliner should state clearly that the product has an approx 1 year shelf life.

Hard lesson learned, but now you will research better before jumpin on a deal before you are ready to utilize it.

I am kind of a hypocrit since i purchased mine in May and haven't done my tub yet.
Dude, if anyone researches hard before purchasing something, it's me. My lift sat in my living room for several months before it got installed, and I took like 4 years to pick out the parts. My job is research. So believe me, I'm on top of the research thing. Like I said, I did my research and did NOT come across the 1 year shelf life thing until long AFTER purchasing....so I'm guessing some others had the same issue I did, and they added some info to their website.

Since you purchased it in May, you better get to it. You'll be in the same boat I'm in...winter approaching and weather issues to prevent you from using the product and you'll end up with a wasted can of gum next summer when you finally get the opportunity to do something with it. btw, my box never saw temps outside 60-80°F, so you can't blame cold/heat for anything.
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #9043
Red82
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How's the color been holding up for everyone? Any severe fading?
Red82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #9044
ospreyfe55
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I too am in the same boat! I bought mine a few months ago and with 4 kids and prego wife and Uncle Sam I don't know if I will ever get to it! I am hoping this weekend by who knows! And as for their website not giving all the details, last night I was reading over everything and most of what I read was based on a 2 gal kit! I got the 1 gal kit, so I am curious if I should split up the gal or mix it all at once. Also the website said they were going to have a special write up and how to on Jeep Tubs and that was supposed to be available by August! Oh well!
ospreyfe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #9045
caninjunn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I found it easier to break up the gallon when I lined the hard top...I did a quart at a time, which was 28 oz of liner to 4 oz of catalyst...I wasn't able to re coat in the time recommended, so I had to scuff the first coat before I did the next layer....I'll probably do the same when I get to my tub, but mix a half gallon at a time
caninjunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.