Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 588 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 08-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #8806
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

I tried, but could not peruse the over 500 pages of this thread. Did anyone ask how it would stick to gelcoat? I have a fiberglass body that is over 20 years old and has never been painted. Am growing tired of the white gelcoat color and am wanting a change. What kind of prep is needed to make it stick to gelcoat? Has anyone figured out how much would be needed to cover a frame and a CJ 5 body tubs interior?
Thanks

JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #8807
Obie95Sahara
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccallie View Post
Just started on the predator on the cherokee, got the roof, the hood, the cowl, and 1 of the fenders done with 1 gallon. Picked the wrong day to do this (100 degrees today) the monsta started to get hard with layers on top with in 15 minutes. Even stirring and keeping the lid on when I could, got down to about a 1/4 gallon left and the monsta was getting really ugly and clumpy... Ended up wasting about 1/8 of the can, hopefully the other gallon will do the rest... Was nervous about the color, but now that I got some of the jeep done I love it!

Let's see some pics! I was thinking of going predator also.
Obie95Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #8808
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Here ya go..

Unread 08-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #8809
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

By the way the windshield was cracked so I am replacing it after the monsta, made it easy cut all the black molding away and just rolled around the windshield. Where I stopped with the monsta coming into the interior from the monsta in will all be edged with black paint. Everything will be cleaned up nice when all finished!
Unread 08-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #8810
okie1tonyj

Did you roll or spray and how many coats did you get out of the first gallon?
okie1tonyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #8811
Neudiin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here ya go..
I think this will make Sarah happy in her shiny pants =)

Awesome look...can't wait to see it all done and back together
Neudiin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #8812
jmccallie
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1tonyj View Post
Did you roll or spray and how many coats did you get out of the first gallon?
Rolled on, I did 2 coats on the everything coated except coming into the jeep. Inside the doors I just did 1 coat as I am worried I will have enough to do the rest with the second gallon.
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #8813
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ok fellow monsta's and magnetman, got a brief update for you and thinkin cap question

this truck bed that i did will be the 4th monstaliner job i have done. i spray everything i do, dilute it with 4oz of MEK, and mix it thoroughly everytime i fill the hopper.

i sprayed this job just like i did the white truck. it was late at night. the truck was parked in the doorway of the garage with most of the truck bed inside. the tailgate and front valence were outside on a set of sawhorses. right next to the front of the truck. mixed up the monsta. sprayed everything. did 2 coats, each about an hour apart. shut the lights off and went home.

first time i had this happen to me. but the 2nd time i went to mix the monsta, my plastic mixer broke. the side "wings" both snapped off and fell into thw gallon. no problem, i used the paint stick and fished them out, got another plastic mixer i had in thje garage and went back to town. thats the first thing i just want everyone to know and watch for. maybe justa faulty mixer but keep an eye out, when mixing.

the next day when i came back to the garage to check the liner out, the tailgate which sat outside all night and then had the sun come up and beat on it for 4-5 hours is a different color than the rest of the box. the valence is a faded black or grey also, but only in the flat spots that were facing the sun. if you look around the bends or the areas that didnt recieve direct sunlight they are nice and shiny black.

so i know monsta is uv protected, but im guessing its not uv protected for the first few hours it drys and to keep it outta the sun until its dry to the touch and already has a shiny surface.

im just baffled because i havnt had this happen before, and i didnt change anything other than leave those 2 pieces outside. next time i get a gallon of black i'm going to try a couple sample pieces outside and some inside again and experiment more, but til then i just wanted to let anybody know to either apply the monsta during the day or just do it inside, but dont mix the 2. i'd hate for somebodys complete project to dry this color.

magnetman, have you experienced this at all? is there any chemical or anything that might make it turn back to a shiny color. the owner isnt concerned with the color difference but i feel bad and want to try and fix it if possible. i told him worse case i will buy a qt of black and we can shoot another coat over the tailgate.

also, can you sell just the canister or hopper that screws into the bottom of the shutz gun. the one i have is starting to get lousy. i keep it filled with mek between uses but its damn near impossible to get all the liner out of it when your done shooting, so maybe i can just stock up on a few of those metal cans and toss em afetr 3 or 4 uses

thanks!

damn i cant post pics here but i will post them in the exteriors/interiors thread
BAMFpullin719 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #8814
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Is it possible that the horizontal areas had some moisture condense on the surfaces overnight while the coating was still curing?
I'd like to see pics of this. Sounds weird and seems to be something having to do with curing under an unknown condition, something I have not seen before but we learn something new each day

And why can't you post pics in this thread but in another if I understand correctly?

We have added extra shutz cans to the site for purchase
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #8815
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Rolled on, I did 2 coats on the everything coated except coming into the jeep. Inside the doors I just did 1 coat as I am worried I will have enough to do the rest with the second gallon.
Jon this is looking good

How much area is left to do with 2nd gal?
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #8816
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Is it possible that the horizontal areas had some moisture condense on the surfaces overnight while the coating was still curing?

this is what i was thinking, either the moisture or sunlight, you explain it much better than i do

I'd like to see pics of this. Sounds weird and seems to be something having to do with curing under an unknown condition, something I have not seen before but we learn something new each day

i did put some pics up in the other thread, i will try and get more today

And why can't you post pics in this thread but in another if I understand correctly?

i cant post pics directly from my computer harddrive, the option isnt there either because this a vendor started thread, or because i am a non paying member. i think i could post pics if i uploaded them to another photo sharing site like flikr or the like, but i dont do that

We have added extra shutz cans to the site for purchase
^^^AWESOME, will be ordering a few of those ASAP
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #8817
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMFpullin719 View Post
^^^AWESOME, will be ordering a few of those ASAP
OK I did my deed for the day
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #8818
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

well i was gunna order a color chip set and 4 extra qt canisters but i dont wanna pay $17 in shipping when my total is only $20, so i'm gunna wait til i order up some more monsta and just tack it on then. headin over to garage soon so i will snap more pics of the liner
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #8819
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
well i was gunna order a color chip set and 4 extra qt canisters but i dont wanna pay $17 in shipping when my total is only $20, so i'm gunna wait til i order up some more monsta and just tack it on then. headin over to garage soon so i will snap more pics of the liner
Does shipping show $17 for 4 shutz cans? Should not be

You can post pics here now
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #8820
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Shipping weight on the shutz cans was wrong, fixed it

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.