Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 58 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM   #856
Joepa
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a textured undercoating sprayed in my jeep now. Could I go over top of it with Monsta?

Joepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #857
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepa View Post
I have a textured undercoating sprayed in my jeep now. Could I go over top of it with Monsta?
be very very cairfull if you try this, just went tried this and had to remove every thing the solvent in the Monsta turned my old liner to a gooy mush and didnt stick. I would get some MEK and see if it removes your old liner easy, if so remove it first
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #858
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

still have the finger ready to pull the trigger when you get the spice color ready

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #859
Rynoman27
1997 TJ Wrangler 

UPS man dropped off my kit today, everything was there. Cant wait till next weekend gonna start to take it apart. Any fellow jeepers in the monroe, MI area are welcome to come over and shoot the ****, there will be beer.
Rynoman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #860
ValleyJeeper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered the Promo deal tonight.
I know I have rust under the carpet.

Now I'll wait until June, take the hard top off, and get to some messy work.

Will this increase the value of my Jeep?

I think so. Less rust, no carpet, hardcore floor.
ValleyJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #861
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyJeeper View Post
I ordered the Promo deal tonight.
I know I have rust under the carpet.

Now I'll wait until June, take the hard top off, and get to some messy work.

Will this increase the value of my Jeep?

I think so. Less rust, no carpet, hardcore floor.
Ins. Company gave me $800 for it when they totaled it ... I guess you can say it does.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #862
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Magnetman can you recommend a specific self-etching epoxy primer for use in prep of bare metal?
I have one of the Chassis Saver distributors a couple miles away so I should be able pick up the primer locally.

Another thing I had been thinking about. If I wipe the interior with MEK then mask off everything and spray the interior with the self-etching epoxy primer would I be able to bypass the scuff up the paint surface step and still have a solid prep for Monstaliner? I can see it taking me a long time preping the surface by hand, hoping to find some time saving ideas in this area.

My kit should arrive within 24 hours, the Chassis Saver (Jet Black Gloss) ordered was planned to be used on the frame and underneath body work.

Everything I do will be photographed throughout the process.

I too am interested in the "OD Green" color Monstaliner for a currently sidelined project, maybe a year out for my needs still.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...207071948a.jpg

Last edited by tangotag; 04-02-2010 at 07:38 AM..
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 05:16 AM   #863
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangotag View Post
Magnetman can you recommend a specific self-etching epoxy primer for use in prep of bare metal?
I have one of the Chassis Saver distributors a couple miles away so I should be able pick up the primer locally.

Another thing I had been thinking about. If I wipe the interior with MEK then mask off everything and spray the interior with the self-etching epoxy primer would I be able to bypass the skuff up the paint surface step and still have a solid prep for Monstaliner? I can see it taking me a long time preping the surface by hand, hoping to find some time saving ideas in this area.

My kit should arrive within 24 hours, the Chassis Saver (Jet Black Gloss) ordered was planned to be used on the frame and underneath body work.

Everything I do will be photographed throughout the process.

I too am interested in the "OD Green" color Monstaliner for a currently sidelined project, maybe a year out for my needs still.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...207071948a.jpg
Self etch and epoxy primer are 2 different things. You only use self etch on bare metal (not over previous paint)

You can not avoid scuff sanding painted surfaces without risk of adhesion problems.

Is the majority of area you will be coating with Monstaliner bare metal or painted surface?
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #864
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

To use the chasis saver on my tub (some minor surface rust in the passenger area floorboard), how much scuffing do I need to do?
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #865
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like there is no shortcut for proper preparation. Other than using the scuff pads under a DA sander and light sanding keeping the paint intact.
The majority of the area that I will be applying this time will be the prepainted Jeep interior.
I have a few areas of spotting rust which I will MEK then rough up and apply 2 coats Chassis Saver (Gloss Black), what I have on hand, and wait 24 hrs then scuff that surface. Would this work?

When it comes time for my other project, that will be an application going on bare metal. Should I use a self-etch in that case?

Last edited by tangotag; 04-02-2010 at 07:38 AM..
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #866
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Really the prep work is the most important part, and you want to do that right. Unless you have a strict deadline, there is no rush when you are doing that. The actual application of the liner is very easy, and there is no way to go wrong except for maybe brushing some spots and not going back over with the roller for texture.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #867
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
To use the chasis saver on my tub (some minor surface rust in the passenger area floorboard), how much scuffing do I need to do?
if you apply the liner within 24 hours no scuffing is needed. Anything over that you need to hit it with 120 grit.... I believe

Last edited by Goobersbro; 04-01-2010 at 12:53 PM..
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #868
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

English, please.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #869
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
Chassis Saver over Rusted Areas
To apply Chassis Saver over rust, wire brush the rust to remove any loose, powering or crusty material. You can also sand the rusted areas with 60 grit paper. Blow down or vacuum to remove all debris and wipe with MEK. Apply Chassis Saver in 2 thin coats (no puddling or extra heavy brush coats). Allow 3 to 4 hours between coats. 1 coat only is sufficient if you are applying Monstaliner within 24 hrs. If you plan to leave it longer before installing Monstaliner, do 2 coats of Chassis Saver.

Chassis Saver over Previous Paint
On previously painted areas, scuff to remove gloss and generate a light dust with scuff pads or 60 grit sandpaper. Clean surface as above and apply only 1 coat of Chassis Saver.

Topcoating Chassis Saver with Monstaliner
Chassis Saver can be topcoated in as little as 6 hours with Monstaliner. If Chassis Saver is allowed to cure more than 24 hours, surfaces should be scuff sanded with 120 to 180 grit sandpaper. (This applies to recoating with itself or any other coating)

Let me know if I left anything out here

MagnetMan
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #870
aerojeeptj

lol I sanded with 120 grit instead of 60, still seemed to go on and dry fine though
aerojeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.