Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 574 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #8596
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think I will reduce it with a little MEK substitute, as that was all I could find. Getting ready to head out there in about 30 mins, I'll post pics later this afternoon.

1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #8597
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims-87YJ View Post
I think I will reduce it with a little MEK substitute, as that was all I could find. Getting ready to head out there in about 30 mins, I'll post pics later this afternoon.
You only need 1 hour max between coats when spraying. In todays heat with 75+ humidity it can drop to 30 mins between coats.

If you have trouble spraying 2nd coat because stuff has thickened just add a few more oz of MEK sub to remaining material and re-power mix
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #8598
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone... Should I have to do the MEK wipe down if I have a freshly epoxy primered surface?
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Unread 08-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #8599
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Anyone... Should I have to do the MEK wipe down if I have a freshly epoxy primered surface?
Answered your PM with same

MEK wipe is required on scuffed paint to remove dust and oils from touching surface

Primer normally does not need to be solvent cleaned unless you scuffed it and need to remove dust

Additionally: Many epoxy primers also have a recoat window (always in the directions) where if the primer is cured past the window, they recommend scuffing to help adhesion of coating going over the primer.
Every products is different and the window can be betw 2 - 7 days so check instructions for guidelines
Unread 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #8600
ThaKmFb

Spraying VS. Rolling

I was wondering if anybody had a comparison picture between spraying and rolling the monstalina? Is spraying a lot faster?
ThaKmFb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #8601
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

n/m
Unread 08-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #8602
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKmFb View Post
I was wondering if anybody had a comparison picture between spraying and rolling the monstalina? Is spraying a lot faster?
check monstaliner.com for some videos. spraying is much faster to apply but you spend more time masking/taping. you wanna tape off really well because the overspray on this stuff will go 6 feet if your not careful. my creepers, stools a few tools now have a light sprinkle of monsta haha
BAMFpullin719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #8603
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I finished... The mixture in the 2 gallon pal that was left over to start cutting in started to thicken up pretty quick and I started to get concerned, but once I went to spraying all was well. The spraying with the economy Gun went on very well and I was very pleased.

There are probably a very few spots I may have missed in above the front most body mounts was very hard to get to with both a brush and / or the spray, and the two areas behind the rear tail-lights was difficult. Also under some of the cross members, but I tried to hit these areas with the brush and get them at lest coated I may not have got the texture but no one will ever see those areas.

Just an after thought, would it be possible to but a length of rubber hose on the end of the schultz gun to make it easier to get these hard to reach spots???

Hope you can see the detail in the pictures, I am very pleased with how it turned out. Thanks Monstaliner!!!

Unread 08-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #8604
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great job!!
My tub is almost ready for the Mosta-Liner, and I was considering the gray for both sides. Thanks to your pics, I don't have to imagine what the finished product will look like.
What air pressure worked best for you? ow many coats did you apply, and how much product did you actually use for the bottom?
Unread 08-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #8605
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Looks great. Did you spray the whole gallon for the 2 coats?

They do make shutz guns with tubes that attach to the tip. We don't sell these. They are commonly used to reach inside doors and behind panels where the gun won't fit

Quote:
Well I finished... The mixture in the 2 gallon pal that was left over to start cutting in started to thicken up pretty quick and I started to get concerned, but once I went to spraying all was well. The spraying with the economy Gun went on very well and I was very pleased.

There are probably a very few spots I may have missed in above the front most body mounts was very hard to get to with both a brush and / or the spray, and the two areas behind the rear tail-lights was difficult. Also under some of the cross members, but I tried to hit these areas with the brush and get them at lest coated I may not have got the texture but no one will ever see those areas.

Just an after thought, would it be possible to but a length of rubber hose on the end of the schultz gun to make it easier to get these hard to reach spots???

Hope you can see the detail in the pictures, I am very pleased with how it turned out. Thanks Monstaliner!!!
Unread 08-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #8606
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I think I ended up with about 80psi, I did 2+ coats, and still had a little (1"+) left in the bottom of the 1 gal can. If at all possible have a helper to get to the areas that are going to be hard to reach with the gun, Unless my late idea will work to put a 4-6" piece of hose on the end of the gun to get to those spots!
If I had them prepped I should have did the back side of the grill and fenders, I might have had enough for at least 1 coat???
Oh well i'll just have to what for Quarts to be available

Unread 08-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #8607
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

Ok, nuther boat question. I have the old plywood floor ripped up and old foam removed. Been cleaning with acetone. Some staining to the aluminum at a few of the seems from water wanting to start seeping. I would like to coat with some chassis saver I already have and seal it up. I was hoping to avoid extra work scuffing all the bare aluminum and risk heating it up. Rust -oleum makes a brush on primer for bare aluminum, I suspect to be self etching, because it doesn't say to scuff for prep. It DOES say it is ACRYLIC, it is LATEX and it says it also cures with moisture. Think this would be safe with chassis saver or should I avoid it? If not certain, I'll test it, but would like to hear some scientific babble for long term in case an issue isn't readily evident when I try it out.

Don
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #8608
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Chassis Saver does NOT stick to aluminum. You will be best with a 2K epoxy primer on this surface

Post a link to the Rustoleum product you are referring to

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegWJ View Post
Ok, nuther boat question. I have the old plywood floor ripped up and old foam removed. Been cleaning with acetone. Some staining to the aluminum at a few of the seems from water wanting to start seeping. I would like to coat with some chassis saver I already have and seal it up. I was hoping to avoid extra work scuffing all the bare aluminum and risk heating it up. Rust -oleum makes a brush on primer for bare aluminum, I suspect to be self etching, because it doesn't say to scuff for prep. It DOES say it is ACRYLIC, it is LATEX and it says it also cures with moisture. Think this would be safe with chassis saver or should I avoid it? If not certain, I'll test it, but would like to hear some scientific babble for long term in case an issue isn't readily evident when I try it out.

Don
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #8609
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

This stuff Eric. Appreciate you getting back so quick. I'm air sprayer challenged right now. If this doen't work, I'd be open to a another suggestion of a possible, brushable primer. This area will get hidden by a new floor. ALso, I'm now leaning towards carpet over the plywood, but remember you guys showing wood being coated with bedliner and it soaking in deep. Would the chassis saver act the same on wood? I think it would be easier to touch up and deal with after drilling, rather than dealing with a coating of glass.

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=43
Gray 99 Laredo with '04 driveline wap. Tons of fun coming soon. Steel bumpers. 5 1/2" IRO coils, IRO adj. track bar. Rancho RS9000 Addco rear sway. 2"x.250" DOM long arms with johny joints. Custom A-arm with ball joint delete (J-joint). JK Moab wheels/ 33x 12.5 x 17 Cooper SST. Bushwacker Flares.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #8610
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm not crazy about water base products in potentially wet environments over long term

2K epoxy primer can be brushed/rolled and is completely water resistant

CS used to seal wood is unbelivable. It will soak into the wood and turn it to stone almost and no water will get in.

I gotta run. Be back later to discuss this

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegWJ View Post
This stuff Eric. Appreciate you getting back so quick. I'm air sprayer challenged right now. If this doen't work, I'd be open to a another suggestion of a possible, brushable primer. This area will get hidden by a new floor. ALso, I'm now leaning towards carpet over the plywood, but remember you guys showing wood being coated with bedliner and it soaking in deep. Would the chassis saver act the same on wood? I think it would be easier to touch up and deal with after drilling, rather than dealing with a coating of glass.

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=43

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.