Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #826
siuXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: carbondale,il
Posts: 165
Give me a bit and i'll give it a shot. Ill try a lower door pannel to see. I know its going to be hit and miss on this one. You can see spots where its starting to bubble up already.


edit: If its such good candidate I wouldn't be opposed to helping out with some potential marketing

siuXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #827
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?
 
AustinCJer's Avatar
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,367
You gotta help me...

Im torn between Monsta and Raptor...

I dont have a air compressor, so that would put strain on doing Raptor, but everyone SWEARS by Raptor...

I tried to read as much of this thread as possible, but there are LOTS of posts...

What are some similarities and differences between the two?
__________________
-Dave

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #828
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
The factory paint does usually suck, but at least the primer is top notch.

MagnetMan, would a full bare metal sand really be best in this situation now that we see pics? I would think just a good sand to get back to the primer would be sufficient.

Good luck with your new project. It would be great to see this on the outside of a Jeep. Are you going to go for the texture, or are you going to make it smooth? MagnetMan showed a way to get it smooth earlier in this thread.
Bare metal sand here is not needed and too much work. That's e-coat you see exposed. Just need to get the clear and base coat. Perhaps re-prime the whole vehicle with epoxy before bedliner.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #829
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by siuXJ View Post
Give me a bit and i'll give it a shot. Ill try a lower door pannel to see. I know its going to be hit and miss on this one. You can see spots where its starting to bubble up already.


edit: If its such good candidate I wouldn't be opposed to helping out with some potential marketing
Also, how far can you peel the clear at the edges already flaking?
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #830
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Bare metal sand here is not needed and too much work. That's e-coat you see exposed. Just need to get the clear and base coat. Perhaps re-prime the whole vehicle with epoxy before bedliner.
OK, that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
You gotta help me...

Im torn between Monsta and Raptor...

I dont have a air compressor, so that would put strain on doing Raptor, but everyone SWEARS by Raptor...

I tried to read as much of this thread as possible, but there are LOTS of posts...

What are some similarities and differences between the two?
I will swear by Monsta man.
__________________
Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!
ALL WK2 Owners, Click Here
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #831
siuXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: carbondale,il
Posts: 165
Okay, I tried a few spots on the passenger door, no clear coming up. I made sure to do a spot that is getting bubbles. As far as the flaking that is primarily on the tops of the fenders. Its only coming up in 1/8-1/4 inch pieces and that is only on the edges where the clear is already very loose.
siuXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #832
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
You gotta help me...

Im torn between Monsta and Raptor...

I dont have a air compressor, so that would put strain on doing Raptor, but everyone SWEARS by Raptor...

I tried to read as much of this thread as possible, but there are LOTS of posts...

What are some similarities and differences between the two?
Monsta - Monsta - Monsta - Monsta - Monsta - Monsta

If you have no compressor, hoses, etc. why even consider Raptor.

Look at these photos below. This is a small S-10 pickup I did personally last Friday. If you take your time with a roller just look how impressive this can be.
Monstaliner will give greater film thickness than Raptor which will work to deaden sound better.
Both are UV stable. Monstaliner will give better traction because you can't get this depth of texture from Raptor.
Spraying also requires that you do extensive masking to protect the rest of the vehicle.




Here's a link to this complete install without the final photos yet.
Truck is still in our warehouse. Tomorrow will be sunny and I'll shoot final shots.
Monstaliner Installation in 1998 Chevy S10 EV Electric Pickup Truck Bed
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #833
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by siuXJ View Post
Okay, I tried a few spots on the passenger door, no clear coming up. I made sure to do a spot that is getting bubbles. As far as the flaking that is primarily on the tops of the fenders. Its only coming up in 1/8-1/4 inch pieces and that is only on the edges where the clear is already very loose.
If you definitely are going to bedliner the entire vehicle you don't need be concerned about sand scratches. DA sand the whole vehicle with 60 grit as it will remove the clear 10 times faster than fine paper. Just take care not to cut through the factory primer.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #834
siuXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: carbondale,il
Posts: 165
Will I still need to epoxy prime the bare metal spots? Do you have any pics of the yellow you offer? Looking at doing yellow/black rockers. Also is the norm usually 2 coats of monstaliner?
siuXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #835
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?
 
AustinCJer's Avatar
1978 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Monsta - Monsta - Monsta - Monsta - Monsta - Monsta

If you have no compressor, hoses, etc. why even consider Raptor.
I could get ahold of a compressor, it would just be a chore...

2 things:
Do you have it available in silver?
Do you have any pictures of Monsta after 3 months, 6 months, 1 year?
__________________
-Dave

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #836
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by siuXJ View Post
Will I still need to epoxy prime the bare metal spots? Do you have any pics of the yellow you offer? Looking at doing yellow/black rockers. Also is the norm usually 2 coats of monstaliner?
Yes, prime bare metal spots. Honestly, I would prime the entire vehicle. I can give you something to roll rather than spray.

No yellow exists yet. When you are ready I will have some samples for you to see.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #837
siuXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: carbondale,il
Posts: 165
Id def be interested in a roll on primer if you had a good suggestion.
siuXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #838
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
[quote=AustinTJer;9188543][QUOTE=magnetman;9188470]Monsta - Monsta - Monsta - Monsta - Monsta - Monsta

If you have no compressor, hoses, etc. why even consider Raptor.

Quote:

I could get ahold of a compressor, it would just be a chore...

2 things:
Do you have it available in silver?
Do you have any pictures of Monsta after 3 months, 6 months, 1 year?
No silver yet. It's a bit of a problem for roller install. The metal flake does not orient correctly like spray. We will get it right but will take a little more time.
I've never seen Raptor in silver but I do know of many problems trying to tint that stuff in crazy pearls and colored metallics. Flake colors do not hide well and you can't add extra pigments without messing up the way it cures so you are forced to add more coats.

To get Raptor in color usually costs $40 to $100 over the tintable kit price depending on color choice.

No pics yet. In 6 weeks I'll have some accelerated exposure tests back for 5 years exposure. There are many jobs out there now I'm waiting on photos.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #839
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by siuXJ View Post
Id def be interested in a roll on primer if you had a good suggestion.
We make an epoxy primer that you can roll. How soon are you going to start sanding the beast?
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #840
siuXJ
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: carbondale,il
Posts: 165
Well, the plan was sometime in May. I don't have my own garage so I have to work around 2 people schedules. If I can secure a coworkers shop it may be much sooner (actually will check on that this week)





I can sand/prime anytime though, just a short drive to family's house.
siuXJ is offline   Reply With Quote



Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.