Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 551 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Reply
Unread 06-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #8251
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
Got my od green in last week and I'm getting ready to start. I'm sure this might have been covered, but there's lots of pages to cover. If I mix up the monsta can I get away with using half of it one day and the rest 24 hours later? Will MEK hold it over, what about putting it in the freezer?
I would not try it. It's only 2 - 3 hours between coats with colors. Prep 1 day, 2 coats next day

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #8252
Neudiin
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguynn View Post
So I know that ideally I don't want to go down to bare metal before applying monstaliner. However, I'd like some input on what might be the best way to prep tub as I couldn't find anything that was exactly like I have.

My jeep apparently had carpets ripped out long ago. The PO had told me that he had simply been using black spray paint once in a while to keep the tub clean. I also found out that about 10 years ago he did try to use herculiner on it. Needless to say it's all a mish mash of old herc and spray paint (several colors are visible)

In many places the herc and paint have chipped off to bare metal. I think I know the answer but what do the pros think the best approach for my tub is. You can see some of the mess in the pics below.

Thanks
It is my understanding that as long as what you are Monsta-ering over is not flaking or peeling then scuff it all up, bare metal apply some CS let dry and apply Monsta

Naturally if any of it is flaking or peeling and you Monsta over it when it flakes/peels it'll take the Monsta with it. So get rid of the flaking/peeling stuff, scuff it all up, maybe apply some CS, let it dry then apply the Monsta.
Neudiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #8253
Neudiin
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
Got my od green in last week and I'm getting ready to start. I'm sure this might have been covered, but there's lots of pages to cover. If I mix up the monsta can I get away with using half of it one day and the rest 24 hours later? Will MEK hold it over, what about putting it in the freezer?
My first bit of advice is if you are doing the interior and do not have time to do both coats in one day, then wait till you do. Otherwise you'll get in a rush and it won't turn out nearly as nice as if you take your time.

That being said, you could mix the color into the monsta, then measure out 1/2 of that mixture and seal up the can. Measure out 1/2 the catalyst and seal up that can. Then mix the two measured out parts together. But I have no idea if it would work. Sounds good tho right? lol
Neudiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #8254
bigredhawkeye
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bettendorf, IA
Posts: 148
Just placed my order for a 1 gallon kit of black Monstaliner to get rid of the cruddy Herculiner I had previously used!

Also was great to get free shipping and a free quart of chassis saver. Really appreciate it and hopefully will get it by this weekend so I can do it then.
__________________
2000 Black WJ | 4.7L V8 | IRO 3" | Pro Comp MX6 Shocks | IRO Trackbar | KOR A-Arm Spacer | Carolina Driveline Front DS | 265/75/16s

WJ Expedition Build Thread

My Travel Thread
bigredhawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #8255
Jims-87YJ
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lansdale, Pa 19446, PA
Posts: 690
Chassis Saver or Epoxy Primer?

Ok Taking my tub to the sandblasters tomorrow morning, when it comes back I need to do some body work then Primer? The question is I plan on doing Monsta on the underside of the tub and the inside floor as well as the firewall inside and out. Is the Epoxy primer my best choice or chassis saver? If the answer is Epoxy primer any brand, has anyone used the magnet paints epoxy primer? Will the epoxy primer need to be scuffed if I can Monsta right away?

By the way order a full chip set this morning

Thanks Jim
__________________
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #8256
rguynn
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: raleigh, nc
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neudiin

It is my understanding that as long as what you are Monsta-ering over is not flaking or peeling then scuff it all up, bare metal apply some CS let dry and apply Monsta

Naturally if any of it is flaking or peeling and you Monsta over it when it flakes/peels it'll take the Monsta with it. So get rid of the flaking/peeling stuff, scuff it all up, maybe apply some CS, let it dry then apply the Monsta.
Thanks. Was going to use an angle grinder with a wire brush. Is that too much? I would like to get rid of as much of the herc as possible just because of the warning on the monstaliner site.
rguynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #8257
Tinga
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguynn View Post
Thanks. Was going to use an angle grinder with a wire brush. Is that too much? I would like to get rid of as much of the herc as possible just because of the warning on the monstaliner site.
Short of setting Herc on FIRE, I don't think there is such a thing as "too much".
But if you get to bare metal, remember CS
__________________
Girls like STROKIN too!
[COLOR="Magenta"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/1971-jeepster-commando-1380633/[/COLOR]
Tinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #8258
rguynn
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: raleigh, nc
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
Short of setting Herc on FIRE, I don't think there is such a thing as "too much".
But if you get to bare metal, remember CS
Cool. I'm so excited to do this. Just want it done right!
rguynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #8259
jsp_28504
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dudley, NC
Posts: 142
i want to do this to my entire cj5, i was wondering how much i would need? My CJ is currently bare metal/ primer, do i need to put something on it before i put this on it? or can i just roll it on the bare metal/ old paint on the tub? is there another product i should use first to clean it or can i just wash it really good before applying the monstaliner?


Also Are there any deals going on right now for jeepforum member, military members, or people who are doing there whole jeep in this? Im getting out of the military thru a meb so moneys tight, and if you want pics of a certain color, id be very tempted to do my jeep in whatever color i might be able to get a deal on. I was leaning towards the jungle love, but if you guys got a pic of the ww2 green on a jeep id love to see it!
jsp_28504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #8260
houndman72
Member
 
houndman72's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 348
Magnetman, hey buddy. i did a dealer inquiry on your site, but have not heard back from anyone. What do I need to do about maybe becoming a dealer of our products? Thanks for your time. I looked in spam mail, but maybe I missed a response if one was sent. thnx.
__________________
Rock krawler Stock Mod 2.5, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Mamba M5 18" rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler tires, Body Armor Front bumper w/winch and LOTS of LED lights all over the place for blinding oncomers! LOL
houndman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #8261
outdoorguy86
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsp_28504
i want to do this to my entire cj5, i was wondering how much i would need? My CJ is currently bare metal/ primer, do i need to put something on it before i put this on it? or can i just roll it on the bare metal/ old paint on the tub? is there another product i should use first to clean it or can i just wash it really good before applying the monstaliner?

Also Are there any deals going on right now for jeepforum member, military members, or people who are doing there whole jeep in this? Im getting out of the military thru a meb so moneys tight, and if you want pics of a certain color, id be very tempted to do my jeep in whatever color i might be able to get a deal on. I was leaning towards the jungle love, but if you guys got a pic of the ww2 green on a jeep id love to see it!
Just did my entire cj7 and I used 2 gallons. I had a little left over from each gallon so just did extra on high wear areas. I forgot to do the front clip so that would ear you some more of it
__________________
Colorado Jeep Club Member #2086


[COLOR="black"] /l , [/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"] [____],
l---L---OlllllllO-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)=[COLOR="Yellow"]@[/COLOR]=)_)

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
outdoorguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #8262
XabuJr
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 1,505
I've went through parts of this thread and it's hard to get all the info, so maybe a repeat this one time will be ok..

Since my wife's on-call this week, I have all week to prep (tubs already had everything pulled out), CS then line. My plan is to do the CS tonight or tomorrow night then do the Monsta early Saturday morning in order to be done by 5p Saturday night.

So reading the Monsta instructions it says to use CS at like step 6, after the tub's been sanded, cleared of everything, MEK used, etc. But reading the CS instructions it says it doesn't need anything crazy, just wire brush and cleaning. That brings me to my question... do I need to do all the MEK and cleaning before the CS? Or can I do that to the areas that I don't CS before I line it on Saturday?
__________________
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

'88 YJ, 33's, auto, 4.2L. Many pieces waiting to be put in!
XabuJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #8263
Neudiin
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by XabuJr View Post
I've went through parts of this thread and it's hard to get all the info, so maybe a repeat this one time will be ok..

Since my wife's on-call this week, I have all week to prep (tubs already had everything pulled out), CS then line. My plan is to do the CS tonight or tomorrow night then do the Monsta early Saturday morning in order to be done by 5p Saturday night.

So reading the Monsta instructions it says to use CS at like step 6, after the tub's been sanded, cleared of everything, MEK used, etc. But reading the CS instructions it says it doesn't need anything crazy, just wire brush and cleaning. That brings me to my question... do I need to do all the MEK and cleaning before the CS? Or can I do that to the areas that I don't CS before I line it on Saturday?
The steps are: Pull everything, clean it with some dish detergent (ie Dawn) giving it a good scrubbing, let that dry, wipe down with MEK, then scuff, wipe it down again, then add the CS if you need. If the Monsta is put down within 24 hours of the CS going down, then just Monsta right over it. If its more than 24 then you'll need to scuff it up a little, wipe down again and then Monsta.

I cleaned mine a couple times during the week cause I had a lot of dirt on the inside of my Jeep. But on Friday, I wiped it down with MEK then scuffed it, wiped it down again. I saw some places that needed a bit more scuffing so I hit those and wiped it down again. Then I applied some CS in the places that needed it. Then starting earlyish on Sat I lined it. The last thing I worried about was the MEK use.

or to simply answer your question, yes do all the cleaning and stuff before Saturday. lol
Neudiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #8264
Tinga
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by XabuJr View Post
I've went through parts of this thread and it's hard to get all the info, so maybe a repeat this one time will be ok..

Since my wife's on-call this week, I have all week to prep (tubs already had everything pulled out), CS then line. My plan is to do the CS tonight or tomorrow night then do the Monsta early Saturday morning in order to be done by 5p Saturday night.

So reading the Monsta instructions it says to use CS at like step 6, after the tub's been sanded, cleared of everything, MEK used, etc. But reading the CS instructions it says it doesn't need anything crazy, just wire brush and cleaning. That brings me to my question... do I need to do all the MEK and cleaning before the CS? Or can I do that to the areas that I don't CS before I line it on Saturday?
It's been my experience that the cleaning and MEK-ing is easier to do BEFORE you CS than after. It's true the CS doesn't need anything spectacular, but if you are applying Monsta over it, might as well get it done. I'd figure it'd suck to sand AROUND the CS you applied.
__________________
Girls like STROKIN too!
[COLOR="Magenta"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/1971-jeepster-commando-1380633/[/COLOR]
Tinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #8265
XabuJr
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
It's been my experience that the cleaning and MEK-ing is easier to do BEFORE you CS than after. It's true the CS doesn't need anything spectacular, but if you are applying Monsta over it, might as well get it done. I'd figure it'd suck to sand AROUND the CS you applied.
True.. lack of sleep is what I'll blame for the lack of sense on that.. haha
__________________
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

'88 YJ, 33's, auto, 4.2L. Many pieces waiting to be put in!
XabuJr is offline   Reply With Quote



Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.