Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Reply
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #61
yjjason
X-Y-J-Con
 
yjjason's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jellico TN
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
I'm looking for pricing on stickers now. We are going to make shirts and hats as well.

Free shipping to everyone right now in 48 lower.

When colors are ready I'll probably throw it in for same price as black.

The lab is working on this every day now until it's done.

ok then we'll take 2 of each (stickers hats shirts) thanks

__________________
88yj-94 4.0-ax15-2004 rubicon f/r axles-4.10's-factory air lockers-33"D!ck Cepek Crushers
yjjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:45 PM   #62
Roknut
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern AZ
Posts: 327
Don't forget about interior colors as well. I'll be looking for a Spice kit if/when you make one!!
__________________
01 TJ Sahara - Armored, Lifted, Locked and ready to rock!!!
Roknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #63
mjs4-0xj
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: apalachin, ny
Posts: 160
I checked out your website and I am impressed with what I have seen. It seems like you guys have a quality product and the kit looks 100% complete, which is nice because you don't have to run out to buy other supplies.

I like the texture of your coating over the Herculiner that I used on my XJ, because it is just too rough for me. I also used the Herculiner topcoat, which is starting to slowly wear down and really fade the rest of my herculiner, so it is nice that your product is UV protected.

The only thing I can see that would stop consumers from buying your product as a kit is the price. I know you have already heard this in a couple posts, but let me explain to you why I think it is just a little too pricey.

I bought my Herculiner kit (1 gallon) with the topcoat for somewhere around $120 shipped. The purpose of buying the Herculiner was to coat the roof of my XJ because it was faded, and covered with rust spots. So I covered my roof with a few thick coats of the bedliner, as well as a few coats of the UV topcoat, and when all was said and done, I still had half a gallon of Herculiner left. And now it is just wasting away underneath my work bench.

I know you offer a lot of product in your kit, which is the reason for the price, but its probably too much product for most users. Two gallons can probably do the inside and outside of my XJ, and then have some to spare. So really, I guess my arguement isn't so much of price, but rather portion control lol.
mjs4-0xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #64
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs4-0xj View Post
I checked out your website and I am impressed with what I have seen. It seems like you guys have a quality product and the kit looks 100% complete, which is nice because you don't have to run out to buy other supplies.

I like the texture of your coating over the Herculiner that I used on my XJ, because it is just too rough for me. I also used the Herculiner topcoat, which is starting to slowly wear down and really fade the rest of my herculiner, so it is nice that your product is UV protected.

The only thing I can see that would stop consumers from buying your product as a kit is the price. I know you have already heard this in a couple posts, but let me explain to you why I think it is just a little too pricey.

I bought my Herculiner kit (1 gallon) with the topcoat for somewhere around $120 shipped. The purpose of buying the Herculiner was to coat the roof of my XJ because it was faded, and covered with rust spots. So I covered my roof with a few thick coats of the bedliner, as well as a few coats of the UV topcoat, and when all was said and done, I still had half a gallon of Herculiner left. And now it is just wasting away underneath my work bench.

I know you offer a lot of product in your kit, which is the reason for the price, but its probably too much product for most users. Two gallons can probably do the inside and outside of my XJ, and then have some to spare. So really, I guess my arguement isn't so much of price, but rather portion control lol.
These are very good points and I'm looking at these issues. Thanks for your straight forward explanation.

When I started to think about marketing Monstaliner, honestly I did not realize how much product was being used in the Jeep community. I had my sights fixed on pickup trucks.

We will work something out to configure a kit that works for everyone. The easiest thing to do immediately will be to sell a 1 gallon unit with at least the rollers.

The rude guy was correct though that I need a better handle on the real coverage in numerous situations.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #65
UltimateCC
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: College Station, TX/Peekskill, NY
Posts: 1,030
I will help figure out how much coverage they get when I come down with our 3 vehicles...
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #66
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCC View Post
I will help figure out how much coverage they get when I come down with our 3 vehicles...
Looking forward to it!
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #67
Osmosiz
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Camden, ME
Posts: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
You Sir, are pushing your luck right now


Surface is hard. We messed with spongy a long time ago and it gets torn up easy.

Just as strong if thinner. We are testing now if it can be applied thinner to try and use only 1 gallon or 1 + 1/4 gallon to do a jeep. Perhaps keep cost down for those looking to spend less.
.
haha i guess black works for me i will give your product a try
__________________
89 YJ "The Rhino"

will work for jeep parts
Osmosiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #68
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,321
So um... looks like Will be heading to SC for 3 days in (November 7,8,&9). If I left you a key and directions, you want to steal my Jeep for 2 days, and have it back in the garage before my mom finds out???
Edit: I forgot to mention, my Jeep is CLEAN. With NO rust at all. I love FL Jeeps.





lol, I doubt that would ever happen.
__________________
Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!
ALL WK2 Owners, Click Here
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas

Last edited by LuckRider; 10-19-2009 at 09:28 PM..
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #69
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
An unconventional fiberglass repair using Chassis Saver and Monstaliner

Last year we had a customers truck sitting in our yard for a few months.
The bed was rotted pretty badly so we had some fun with it.
I don't know how long this will last but it's kind of interesting.

This truck is used for nothing but plowing snow and nothing ever goes in the bed.
If I was doing it for myself I would have taken more time and extended the
glass cloth further around the rotted areas.

See lower group of photos here "RAT BED"
Monstaliner Rotted Junk Returns From The Dead

Will anyone get pissed if I post this as a new thread in "Paint & Body"?

Last edited by magnetman; 10-20-2009 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: more info
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #70
UltimateCC
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: College Station, TX/Peekskill, NY
Posts: 1,030
Pretty impressive, makes you think twice about buying a car or truck that has this liner done because you never know what can be hiding underneath it...good stuff
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #71
Boodyrider
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,519
Rude? Maybe. However, I've seen so many fly-by-night Ebay vendors of garbage products come and go, I tend to be a bit skeptical.

Many of the worst of them had flashy logos, well written glowing 'testimonials', and absolutely HORRIBLE products.

You pop up on this forum THIS MONTH, and expect our members to take whatever you say without sketicism and without a 'prove it' attitude... you're likely to be disappointed. There IS one testimonial for the product on your website. ONE. Yup, it's good, but I'd be surprised if anyone posted a negative comment about their own product.

Is your product great? No clue. BUT... based on the 'service temp' information from your OWN data sheets, I'm concerned. The trans tunnel gets pretty darn warm, and in an underbody application, the radiant heat from the exhaust is way over service temp.

What will Raptor do? Dunno... mine isn't coated yet. But there ARE literally hundreds of satisfied guys on the forum who have posted their experiences, with that product, used ON a Jeep in various ways.

Many just do the interior of the tub; however, the Jeep community also uses bedliner material on bumpers, fenders, fenderliners, underbody, skid plates, and some go so far as to use it as an exterior coating too.

Why split the product? BECAUSE, if you're selling a do-it-yourself product, that anybody can do in a garage at home, it's beneficial to be able to mix only part of the product at a time, especially if you have several areas you want to do over a period of time.

Why sprayable? BECAUSE, if you have to roll it on, there are a LOT of areas that need additional touchup that a roller can't reach.

Why price match perhaps the MOST popular product similar to yours in the Jeep community at the moment? Simple marketing 101 stuff here... take a short term loss to get the word out about your product. If it really as superior to the other offerings out there as your claims indicate, you'll be able to sell it at your price later in far higher quantity than otherwise. Don't and you risk no one being willing to try it because it's DOUBLE the cost of a well known, well tested, and well liked product.

Concern about having to do tests at your location... simple... if this stuff of yours has very specific installation or curing environment requirements, it's not well suited to the do it yourself market. Look, I KNOW I can get outstanding results with some of the pro products out there, and in any darn thickness I want. But the value equations is a bit skewed with those.

You product may just be the best alternative to a pro product, at a comparatively reasonable price. But man, I gotta tell you, bedliner is a real ***** to remove if it goes bad, so making a mistake on trying something new is a difficult marketing challenge for you if price is added to the uphill road you, a newcomer to the market, will encounter.

And if you take offense at being called on failing to know your own product well enough to specify coverage... sorry. Find out the stuff we want to know: How many square feet will your product cover how thick with one gallon? What is the absolute minimum thickness for adequate protection, and what is the maximum thickness it can be built up to, and how thick in ONE coat? I'd love 1/4" thick in some areas... but I damn sure don't want to have to lay on 40 coats to get there, nor do I want to wait 3 month for complete cure....

And address the service temp issue clearly: HOW hot can your product remain protective and does it ever become flammable at any temp?

Jeep folks on enthusiast forums are a tough market... we are frugal (ok, cheap), we modify EVERYTHING, and we want ALL the details... because MANY of us take or Jeeps, and the products we buy for them, FAR further and work them FAR harder than a soccer mom who wants her pickup bed to be easy to wash out after she brings a few plants home from the garden shop....
__________________
97 TJ Sport - 4.0/HP D30 w ARB/8.8 w LS/4.88s; 35s and flat fenders on 2.5 lift

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.

Last edited by Boodyrider; 10-20-2009 at 08:04 PM..
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #72
LuckRider
Web Wheeler
 
LuckRider's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NY - 12550
Posts: 9,321
I believe Boodyrider has many good points here. That is why I like that you guys are at least taking the time to essentially give away some of the product to locals. It really answers essential questions to.

On my way home from school I actually thought a lot about it. I was wondering, like boodyrider said, about the heat issue. Can anyone find what the other liners say about that???

Another thing I question how well it will stay in place during drying. A product that is laid on as thick as this one might run on vertical parts of the tub. I guess since this has been used on many trucks this is not an issue, but what about upside down, like on bumpers?

How well does it stick to plastic? How thick can it be laid on for plastic? Since it is only good to a certain temp, can I take a heat gun to make it maleable should something happen?

On the interior over the trans tunnel, how much heat will it transmit into the Jeep, is it better or worse than just carpet?

How about the finsh, is it like a rubber tool handle, or is it like a plastic? Can it contact wires with no problem?

For the drain holes in the tub, do I need to plug them with newspaper when coating, or can I put a small amount around the rim?

How about coverage. How much does it take to do the tub? What about a bumpers? rockers? flares? Can you make a Jeep specific kit when this is figured out. One can for the tub, another for a bumper? What about a mix cup with lines so that the 2 gallon can can be split up? That way a person only has to mix up as much as need, not just in 1/4s. Like mentioned before, a trim kit, with enough for bumpers, rockers, flares, and a little extra for something else? Then a kit for just the tub to do it in steps if prefered?

I think all of these questions could be answered with a few test Jeeps, and I think it is a really good idea. As for being new to the forum, having well trusted members recieve a set to test would also make sense. I know that if someone like mrBlaine, Gunkel, or Jerry Bransford trusted this product, many would listen because they are well respected forum members.

Once again goodluck with your product, and remember, if you want another tester, let me know. I think we might be able to work something out.

EDIT: To magnetman, My Name is Luckrider, I am a Jeeper, and I am addicted. As an addict, us Jeepers need our daily fix. Some more than others, and some get it diffently. I get mine be reading JF and DDin my Jeep. Being on JF means that you need to update often to satisfy our (at least my) addiction. Also, read the last part of my sig.
__________________
Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!
ALL WK2 Owners, Click Here
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas

Last edited by LuckRider; 10-20-2009 at 09:26 PM..
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #73
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Rude? Maybe. However, I've seen so many fly-by-night Ebay vendors of garbage products come and go, I tend to be a bit skeptical.

Many of the worst of them had flashy logos, well written glowing 'testimonials', and absolutely HORRIBLE products.
Hello again Mr. Boody, I knew you would be back. Everything you say makes sense and you absolutely have a right to be skeptical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
You pop up on this forum THIS MONTH, and expect our members to take whatever you say without sketicism and without a 'prove it' attitude... you're likely to be disappointed. There IS one testimonial for the product on your website. ONE. Yup, it's good, but I'd be surprised if anyone posted a negative comment about their own product.
I never stood like a snake oil salesman and told anyone to "not be skeptical" or to buy right now. These are your words. Monstaliner is a new product and it will prove itself over time and after more people less skeptical than yourself try it and are convinced. Yes, I just showed up here like a strong breeze with our new product. I paid for a banner ad and I posted an honest introduction in the designated vendor section. And then I started answering questions and you came along. I actually appreciate your feedback because this will get many more questions answered faster than had you not come along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Is your product great? No clue. BUT... based on the 'service temp' information from your OWN data sheets, I'm concerned. The trans tunnel gets pretty darn warm, and in an underbody application, the radiant heat from the exhaust is way over service temp.

What will Raptor do? Dunno... mine isn't coated yet. But there ARE literally hundreds of satisfied guys on the forum who have posted their experiences, with that product, used ON a Jeep in various ways.

Many just do the interior of the tub; however, the Jeep community also uses bedliner material on bumpers, fenders, fenderliners, underbody, skid plates, and some go so far as to use it as an exterior coating too.
All these questions will be answered soon. And I do believe that the service temp you are so stuck on was an atmospheric temp not a surface temp. We will be evaluating surface temps shortly and we are waiting for some Raptor material to arrive so we can compare side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Why split the product? BECAUSE, if you're selling a do-it-yourself product, that anybody can do in a garage at home, it's beneficial to be able to mix only part of the product at a time, especially if you have several areas you want to do over a period of time.
This makes sense. If I gave you a mixing cup or a scoop and told you the mix ratio, would that work also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Why sprayable? BECAUSE, if you have to roll it on, there are a LOT of areas that need additional touchup that a roller can't reach.
This is why they make paint brushes (Yes included in the kit) We are also looking at making Monstaliner sprayable. Right now it is a bit too thick and will need some reducing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Why price match perhaps the MOST popular product similar to yours in the Jeep community at the moment? Simple marketing 101 stuff here... take a short term loss to get the word out about your product. If it really as superior to the other offerings out there as your claims indicate, you'll be able to sell it at your price later in far higher quantity than otherwise. Don't and you risk no one being willing to try it because it's DOUBLE the cost of a well known, well tested, and well liked product.
I hear you and understand your point. The problem is that we can not sell 2 gallons for what 1 gallon of Raptor sells for. Based on Raptor published technical data, Monstaliner is about 20% higher in volume solids which means that a gallon should go further than Raptor. But... because the viscosity of Monsta in much higher and designed for roller install, it may not go as far as the math says it should. We are looking at this also and waiting for Raptor sample as stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Concern about having to do tests at your location... simple... if this stuff of yours has very specific installation or curing environment requirements, it's not well suited to the do it yourself market. Look, I KNOW I can get outstanding results with some of the pro products out there, and in any darn thickness I want. But the value equations is a bit skewed with those.
I'm not at all concerned about this. It DOES NOT have critical cure requirements. Just common sense requirements. Not at 20 degrees, not in the rain, not in blistering direct sun. I've seen Monstaliner cure @ 35 deg F up to 100 degrees. It's slower at the lower temps but surprising that it always cures.

And I disagree that you CAN NOT get outstanding results with other products out there at any film thickness unless you are high pressure spraying polyurea. Maybe with an epoxy like Dominion Gator because epoxies will cure at any film thickness. So if you know something else, please speak up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
You product may just be the best alternative to a pro product, at a comparatively reasonable price. But man, I gotta tell you, bedliner is a real ***** to remove if it goes bad, so making a mistake on trying something new is a difficult marketing challenge for you if price is added to the uphill road you, a newcomer to the market, will encounter.
You're a very negative person. Are you in therapy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
And if you take offense at being called on failing to know your own product well enough to specify coverage... sorry. Find out the stuff we want to know: How many square feet will your product cover how thick with one gallon? What is the absolute minimum thickness for adequate protection, and what is the maximum thickness it can be built up to, and how thick in ONE coat? I'd love 1/4" thick in some areas... but I damn sure don't want to have to lay on 40 coats to get there, nor do I want to wait 3 month for complete cure....
I did not take offense to your questions or anything other than your know it all attitude. I promise you that all of your questions will be answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
And address the service temp issue clearly: HOW hot can your product remain protective and does it ever become flammable at any temp?
We have torches, ovens and heat guns waiting for a Raptor sample.

**** Boody: CAN YOU PLEASE CHECK FOR ME HOW HOT THE TRANS TUNNEL CAN GET SO WE CAN MAKE SURE TO TEST AT THE CORRECT TEMPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Jeep folks on enthusiast forums are a tough market... we are frugal (ok, cheap), we modify EVERYTHING, and we want ALL the details... because MANY of us take or Jeeps, and the products we buy for them, FAR further and work them FAR harder than a soccer mom who wants her pickup bed to be easy to wash out after she brings a few plants home from the garden shop....
I love you Boodyrider but I HATE YOU for making me type so much!

Good Night!!!
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #74
Goobersbro
Registered User
2007  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Yuba City, California
Posts: 4,138
well after comparing around I really like your product but I just havn't seen enough reviews from here on the forum to be sure about it and Raptor is a lot cheaper and easier to apply...for me I have access to a paint booth air compresser ect.... I also think a spray on turns out a little nicer also.

Not dogging on your product at all just a few pointers which would have led me towards your product. A cheaper price, A smaller portion option, and a spray on version...Thank you though for your quick responses and I hope you have good luck selling this stuff
__________________
My marshmallow build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...-build-873442/
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #75
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
well after comparing around I really like your product but I just havn't seen enough reviews from here on the forum to be sure about it and Raptor is a lot cheaper and easier to apply...for me I have access to a paint booth air compresser ect.... I also think a spray on turns out a little nicer also.

Not dogging on your product at all just a few pointers which would have led me towards your product. A cheaper price, A smaller portion option, and a spray on version...Thank you though for your quick responses and I hope you have good luck selling this stuff
Hey I appreciate the good wishes. We do sell individual gallons and I should have some details with photos next week on spraying.

No doubt, spray will be more consistent than other methods.

I understand the lack of reviews for now. Things will change quickly. So come back and check us out again.

Regards
Magnetman
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote



Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.