Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 493 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 04-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #7381
Neudiin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Frustratingly disappointing with the weather. When I took that picture it was 90 degrees. Its cooled off a bit since then but it has rained at least some every day. Come hell or high water(where did that saying come from?) I am applying Monsta on Sat. I didn't think I was going to need any of the CS but after cleaning I notice some spots so I will apply that Friday and get an early start on Sat.

My biggest fear is the humidity and it effecting the drying and pot life. I will definitely follow your advice and keep the lid shut tight. After Sarah had to get her Jeep out of the heat that is a new concern but I'll figure something out =)

Edit: LOL as lightning strikes and the rain pours grrrr

Neudiin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #7382
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neudiin View Post
Frustratingly disappointing with the weather. When I took that picture it was 90 degrees. Its cooled off a bit since then but it has rained at least some every day. Come hell or high water(where did that saying come from?) I am applying Monsta on Sat. I didn't think I was going to need any of the CS but after cleaning I notice some spots so I will apply that Friday and get an early start on Sat.

My biggest fear is the humidity and it effecting the drying and pot life. I will definitely follow your advice and keep the lid shut tight. After Sarah had to get her Jeep out of the heat that is a new concern but I'll figure something out =)

So I'm assuming you can't find a garage to work in

You could always seal the Jeep up tight and put the AC on while you work in there
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #7383
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Considering this years winter than never was, I'm fearful that this summer is going to be a nightmare of relentless heat and humidity

Hope I am wrong
Unread 04-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #7384
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm getting inventive and I have some tips for you I know will help

Do you know if there is an auto paint/parts store near you that carries Chassis Saver? I want you to try and find a quart of our S8 reducer
Unread 04-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #7385
Neudiin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

According to the MagnetPaints dot com the nearest one is 65 miles away but its up the interstate so its a fast trip. I will call and make sure they have it before I make the trip. Also there might be a store or 2 nearer me that has it, will make some calls. Whatcha got in mind?
Unread 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #7386
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

still in my office and got to get out and home

be back before 11 to explain
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #7387
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
According to the MagnetPaints dot com the nearest one is 65 miles away but its up the interstate so its a fast trip. I will call and make sure they have it before I make the trip. Also there might be a store or 2 nearer me that has it, will make some calls. Whatcha got in mind?
OK, with high heat and humidity you want to prevent ML from skinning in the roller pan and on top of the coating in the can or you can get chunks in the final finish.

Get a clean/new pump spray bottle and put some solvent in it. Every time you open the gallon and pour some more coating into the roller pan, spray some solvent on top of the coating before resealing it.

In the roller pan, every so often spray the surface of the coating a little to prevent it from skinning.

Reason I recommend the S8 reducer is that it evaporates the slowest of all solvents that are compatible with ML.
You can also use xylol/xylene for this and avoid the 65 mile drive. MEK or acetone will flash off way too fast so avoid that.

Home depot sells a good spray bottle in the cleaning supplies aisle.

Oh, most important:
EVERYONE/ANYONE buying a 1 gallon kit that does not include a roller pan - Avoid using a wide 9" pan like you would use to paint your walls.
Home Depot and Lowes sell a narrow pan like the ones that come with ML 2 gallon kits.

You need to pour too much coating in the wide pan to coat the roller and with less surface area exposed to the air the narrow pan will save you some grief and waste less coating.

In less than 60 days the 1 gallon kit will be revised to include a pan, and some other goodies that only come now in the 2 gal kit
Unread 04-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #7388
Neudiin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
OK, with high heat and humidity you want to prevent ML from skinning in the roller pan and on top of the coating in the can or you can get chunks in the final finish.

Get a clean/new pump spray bottle and put some solvent in it. Every time you open the gallon and pour some more coating into the roller pan, spray some solvent on top of the coating before resealing it.

In the roller pan, every so often spray the surface of the coating a little to prevent it from skinning.

Reason I recommend the S8 reducer is that it evaporates the slowest of all solvents that are compatible with ML.
You can also use xylol/xylene for this and avoid the 65 mile drive. MEK or acetone will flash off way too fast so avoid that.

Home depot sells a good spray bottle in the cleaning supplies aisle.

Oh, most important:
EVERYONE/ANYONE buying a 1 gallon kit that does not include a roller pan - Avoid using a wide 9" pan like you would use to paint your walls.
Home Depot and Lowes sell a narrow pan like the ones that come with ML 2 gallon kits.

You need to pour too much coating in the wide pan to coat the roller and with less surface area exposed to the air the narrow pan will save you some grief and waste less coating.

In less than 60 days the 1 gallon kit will be revised to include a pan, and some other goodies that only come now in the 2 gal kit
Great idea. I will make some calls to see if I can find S8 Reducer locally if not I'll get one of the xy's lol. This is what I call GREAT customer service. Thank you =)
Unread 04-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #7389
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

One more hot weather tip I got

When you finish the first coat and the leftover sealed gallon is now going to sit for an hour at least - Before you walk away, scrape down the inside walls of the can so everything clinging to sides falls into the liquid then spray a nice layer of solvent on top and seal the can. This will make a big difference in the amount of lumps you do not have to deal with breaking up when you re-mix to start 2nd coat

These thingys work well or just a small piece of cardboard in your hand as a scraper

In very hot/humid conditions I have seen recoat times for tintable possible in as little as 30 - 45 mins. Yours will probably be 1 - 1.5 hrs or so in 80 deg
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #7390
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Has anyone used Monsta on the underside of the Tub? sort of like an undercoating? I am considering this as well as the inside of the tub during my rebuild. Thanks
(Still undecided on a color combo...)
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #7391
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

mike_breaker_5 did his rig. I have a bunch of shots like this from other people. This was a 1970 AMC, sprayed
bings-rod-shop-1970-amc-underbody-089.jpg  
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #7392
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i'll help out with pics of the underside sprayed...

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #7393
tjazzkikr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I plan on doing the tub of my jeep this weekend...can't wait to see how it turns out. I have one question, I am having a hard time finding MEK, do you recommend another product?
tjazzkikr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #7394
Neudiin
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I called a few places local and no one had the S8 Reducer. Booo! I went to Lowes and HD neither of which had Xylol/Xylene in anything smaller than a gallon. So I got home a little bummed but then thought I'd try Ace Hardware, I called and guess what they had in quart size? woot So I'm all set. I did a final scrub. It is supposed to rain starting tonight and into the AM tomorrow. With luck it'll blow over by early after noon and I can get it dried out and lay down some CS. Will make for a long Saturday but will be worth it.

Eric I just want to thank you for awesome help. You have helped boost my confidence that I can get this done before the pot life runs out and get great results.

I do have one question - the paddle stirrer that is included, should I get another one of those for when I have to stir before the second coat? or can I soak it in some MEK or Xylene? I'm not gonna do something nuts like stir it all by hand
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #7395
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjazzkikr View Post
I plan on doing the tub of my jeep this weekend...can't wait to see how it turns out. I have one question, I am having a hard time finding MEK, do you recommend another product?
acetone also works, that's what i used.

sad part is i work around tens of thousands of gallons of M.E.K. every day.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.