Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #631
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty much. Just make sure you make it through any wax, and scuff up the paint for adhesion. Wipe with MEK to remove all the grease and grime, and you are ready to go.

I know a CJ is different than a TJ, but I am assuming it is still a regular old piece of steel with some paint on it.

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #632
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viencent View Post
so just scuff the paint a little MEK and good togo? lol dont want to try and strip it after also
Don't know what kind of paint is on this surface but you may want to scuff this with some regular 120 grit sandpaper if the supplied abrasive pad is not sufficient
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #633
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

it is rustoleum spray can. will take the sand paper too it
also any word on when my stuff shipped?
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #634
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viencent View Post
it is rustoleum spray can. will take the sand paper too it
also any word on when my stuff shipped?
Sched Deliv tomorrow
UPS tracking
1ZA0W8460342700921

Caution with the spray paint only because I have not tested this before
Spray paint is weak in that some solvents will bite into it. We don't want another problem like the tub.

Please put some mineral spirits on a white rag and rub spray paint to see if it comes off on rag.... let me know what happens. Need to know if spray paint seems like it is softening and getting sticky
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #635
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Viencent, post up some pics of the thing in progress. Looking forward to seeing how much of a pain it will become

PS Born in Waco myself. Do you wheel your CJ?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #636
BmrSnr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

magnetman, went to your site and the red looks real good, any word on availiability? are your still recomending the silver saver as the prefered undercoating for rust. Thanks
Unread 03-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #637
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmrSnr View Post
magnetman, went to your site and the red looks real good, any word on availiability? are your still recomending the silver saver as the prefered undercoating for rust. Thanks
Thanks, the red is nice and we will be doing a few reds.
Are you looking for a Safety/Fire Engine Red or a darker red like International Harvester Red?

As far as Chassis Saver goes, we recommend the silver because it is more corrosion resistant. The contrasting color of silver also makes it easier to see where you have covered so far while working.

Just be sure to sand the original paint in the tub well to remove any gloss before applying Chassis Saver. If the included scuff pad wears out before you finish just use some 100 or 120 grit sandpaper.

A note to anyone using Chassis Saver under Monstaliner: If you are using Gloss Black Chassis Saver, you want to install bedliner within 24 hours after the Chassis Saver or we recommend that you lightly scuff sand the CS surface to ensure good adhesion. Silver is less of an issue since it cures with a duller surface but you still do not want to wait longer than 48 hours before bedliner install without scuffing.

Last edited by magnetman; 03-18-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #638
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Just be sure to sand the original paint in the tub well to remove any gloss before applying Chassis Saver. If the included scuff pad wears out before you finish just use some 100 or 120 grit sandpaper.

A note to anyone using Chassis Saver under Monstaliner: If you are using Gloss Black Chassis Saver, you want to install bedliner within 24 hours after the Chassis Saver or we recommend that you lightly scuff sand the CS surface to ensure good adhesion. Silver is less of an issue since it cures with a duller surface but you still do not want to wait longer than 48 hours before bedliner install without scuffing.
I don't know how much experience you have with Chrysler (more specifically Jeep) paint, but it is REALLY thin and easy to cut through. 100 grit could probably scratch right through the primer if you are not careful. When we sanded the tub, we were barely rubbing (like lightly staining wood with a rag). I personally would stick with the finer paper.

I am glad you posted the info on the differences between the two colors. I could remember what you said before exactly, and I think that clears it up a bit.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #639
BmrSnr
1998 TJ Wrangler 

re you looking for a Safety/Fire Engine Red or a darker red like International Harvester Red. I am thinking the darker red would work best. Any other opinions are welcome its a Red 98 TJ.
BmrSnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #640
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

So magnetman, now that you see what we're talking about in terms of abuse (e.g. in the video, running stuff over rocks and such), would you say Gloss Black Chassis Saver would be a good paint to use on things like axle tubes and control arms and such that would take that kind of abuse? Or would we be better off just rattle-canning it and touching it up periodically?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #641
apexjeepinjoe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Question? I had to take a lot of the bed down to bare metal. Should I apply more than one coat of chassis saver?

2012 Wrangler Rubicon(my woman's ride)
2002 Wrangler Apex Edition(with lots of goodies)
1988 Comanche(stock for now)
1970 Jeepster Commando(a work In progress)
apexjeepinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #642
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexjeepinjoe View Post
Question? I had to take a lot of the bed down to bare metal. Should I apply more than one coat of chassis saver?
I don't think it's necessary in a jeep. If it was a pickup bed I might think to use 2 coats before the bedliner since it would take more abuse.

Just make sure to rough the metal well before the Chassis Saver (60 or at least 80 grit)
Unread 03-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #643
apexjeepinjoe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
I don't think it's necessary in a jeep. If it was a pickup bed I might think to use 2 coats before the bedliner since it would take more abuse.

Just make sure to rough the metal well before the Chassis Saver (60 or at least 80 grit)
I used 80 grit

2012 Wrangler Rubicon(my woman's ride)
2002 Wrangler Apex Edition(with lots of goodies)
1988 Comanche(stock for now)
1970 Jeepster Commando(a work In progress)
apexjeepinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #644
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget the mandatory pics when you are done

MagnetMan, I have noticed quite a big number of folks changing the story of "Go with Raptor, don't bother with herc or any of the others." It is amazing how quickly good work got out about this stuff. I take it that sales have increased more than enough to make this new venture worth it. One of the vendors said after about a week that his first few days (as a vendor, he was a member before that) paid for the vendor status alone. It is great to see that JF has the capability to support a mutually beneficial relationship between members and vendors.

Keep up the good work, and get us some picters of Moar Culers

Man I am tired
Unread 03-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #645
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexjeepinjoe View Post
I used 80 grit
That's good. A quart of Chassis Saver covers 90 sq ft so you can certainly double coat if you feel more comfortable.

You took the #98 Gray which is glossy. Just be sure to install Monstaliner within 24 hours after the CS or you need to scuff sand the CS with 120 or finer.

By the way, CS gray may brush a bit heavy. You can add 10% MEK for brushing and it will spread further. Don't thin in the original can. Remove what you will use and thin in a coffee can for brushing.

Please take photos of the bare tub and then with CS so I can use them on some new web pages.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.