Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 399 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-15-2011, 02:23 AM   #5971
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

This happens always with a palm sander on corners and high spots. If bare areas are very small as described you can just coat ML over them with no issues. If you want to spot prime them you can use some non-spray can metal primer if you don't want to open the Chassis Saver

I think Jeep skimps on the number of clear coats they put in the tubs because it gets covered with carpet. It does sand through to metal pretty easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nufga View Post
Quick search and found related info, but not specific to what I'm about to ask:

While prepping the tub of my JK I initially used a palm sander with 100 grit to scuff the surface. In certain areas it seemed to sand through the paint much faster than I expected, resulting in small spots of bare metal (dime sized) here and there.

I know many people have asked about prepping completely bare metal, or extreme rust damaged tubs that required sanding large areas to bare metal. What is the proper procedure for spot-prepping in my case? I've read epoxy primer in some cases as well as CS (don't want to waste opening my entire quart).

I have Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer Spray sitting in my garage...
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=154

Can I use this product to quick spray these small bare metal spots and still have proper Monstaliner application? Do I use it before or after the M.E.K.? Do I need to sand it (before or after M.E.K.)? Thanks in advance for the help.

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 02:51 AM   #5972
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

While you and I are discussing this in PMs I thought I would add some details on this for the benefit of others.

All Monstashades colors could be intermixed if someone wanted to. Because each color we are offering is already a blend of 2, 3 and some up to 5 different colors already, mixing many of them will start to make a muddy looking mess. You would really need the unblended colors we start with to come up with different shades.

We're working on some bright oranges and yellows that contain lead pigments. As long as you are not coating something that kids will chew on there's no danger of lead poisoning. We make tons of industrial and truck fleet paints with lead pigments now and it's the most economical way to get bright/clean yellows and oranges. I'll post a few pics of some examples later part of this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takirc02 View Post
So I am going to Monstaline the exterior of my CJ7 and am debating on colors. Originally I wanted a bright orange with dark grey or black as an accent color but the closest Monstashade to the bright orange I was thinking is Dark Burnt Orange, or maybe Zombie Sunrise.

Looking for a little brighter than either of these so here is the question, would it be possible to mix two or more Monstashades to create a "custom" color? I assume the colors are chemically compatible, ie not going to blow up or anything when mixed, but would it work like mixing acrylic paints? Maybe Dark Burnt Orange and Suicide Blonde?

Or I should I just pick from the options available ...
Unread 10-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #5973
takirc02
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman
While you and I are discussing this in PMs I thought I would add some details on this for the benefit of others.

All Monstashades colors could be intermixed if someone wanted to. Because each color we are offering is already a blend of 2, 3 and some up to 5 different colors already, mixing many of them will start to make a muddy looking mess. You would really need the unblended colors we start with to come up with different shades.

We're working on some bright oranges and yellows that contain lead pigments. As long as you are not coating something that kids will chew on there's no danger of lead poisoning. We make tons of industrial and truck fleet paints with lead pigments now and it's the most economical way to get bright/clean yellows and oranges. I'll post a few pics of some examples later part of this week.
Thanks magnet, makes sense that there are already multiple shades within one final shade so i might end up with too much of subshades on opposite sides of the color wheel...despite the final looks of your original shades... A brownish muddy mess doesn't sound good so I'd have to get very lucky if I didnt want a very expensive trial/error process.

Looking forward to your samples, and hope it stays warmish up here in PA. I really don't want to wait till spring to put it on, you have me too excited about this product

One last note, FWIW, hoping for a bright reddish orange, not straight up bright orange. Wife made a good point about it accidentally looking like hunting safety orange and, since I've never been much of a hunter, that really isn't the look I want. Might be cool on other jps though along with some camo. Just not my thing.
Unread 10-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #5974
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

From your description I was thinking Kuboda orange which is much like Allis Chalmers Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by takirc02 View Post
One last note, FWIW, hoping for a bright reddish orange, not straight up bright orange. Wife made a good point about it accidentally looking like hunting safety orange and, since I've never been much of a hunter, that really isn't the look I want. Might be cool on other jps though along with some camo. Just not my thing.
Unread 10-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #5975
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i think i may have scored a huge win today.

at napa this morning....
i have some time so i decided to get a few odds and ends. kid behind the counter had just bought a 94 yj like mine (stock though ). the guy that runs the napa store has been excited to see the 5.2 in my jeep so we got to talking and the kid piped up and said he just bought a yj.
we all 3 walked outside and the guy was pretty impressed with the looks of the liner on the jeep exterior. i told him about the forum and this very thread. told him to give magnet a chat and he will not be disappointed.
i may have made a jf member and a monstavert all in one fail swoop!

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #5976
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Awesome!
Heads up breaker_5... we're closing in on 6K here
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #5977
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Andrew had the answer. Get a quart of Rustoleum metal primer. Light scuff the rattle can surfaces and brush on the RO primer but let it cure good for 3 days then you should be good to go with ML

Did arrive today? If not it should on Monday
OK Cool. I was afraid, I was going to have to blast all the rest off, but scuffing and top coating sounds like a pretty fine idea.

Quote:
We're working on some bright oranges and yellows that contain lead pigments.
Quote:
From your description I was thinking Kuboda orange which is much like Allis Chalmers Orange
This is awesome news. I was excited about the burnt orange, but when the sample came it just wasn't as bright as I was hoping for. Something along a hugger orange or Kubota orange would be about perfect for what I was looking for. Sounds like at least two of us are interested in something brighter, hopefully there's a lot more interest out there to make this worth it for you all.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #5978
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob024 View Post
Just finished second coat. Dry time was like 3 or 4 hours in a propane heated garage, at least it was plenty dry for a second coat. I was fairly humid/raining the whole time outside, maybe a little less inside. I had no problems going through rollers but I did use an extra brush, I think you should have 1 to 3 extra cheapies depending on if you have a friend to help.

1 Gallon kit just BARELY got me through TJ, I was a bit sloppy on application I guess but it was close doing all up under the sides and pretty far up cage etc. The Med Gray looks just awesome I can't wait for the cured product!

When you do it wear shorts and a long sleeve T you don't care about with the gloves.

Some final assembly and dry pics of the Medium Quartz Grey-

SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #5979
Hylke

1978 CJ7 

Magnet, can I just send you my adress through a pm to receive a sample?
Hylke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #5980
The_Blacksmith
Genius with this metal

1993 XJ Cherokee 

it looks so good. looks extra light colored in your pics tho. I thought the med was darker than that, but either way it looks amazing, good job!!!
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #5981
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Great pics! Tailgate looks Med Quartz but the rest of the pics look light. Matches the interior great. Congrats!

Quote:
Some final assembly and dry pics of the Medium Quartz Grey-

Unread 10-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #5982
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylke View Post
Magnet, can I just send you my adress through a pm to receive a sample?
Yes. Make sure address is complete. I know now why USPS is going out of business, they suck
Unread 10-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #5983
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The white balance seems pretty good on that little point and shoot, and in the one pic that's the Magnet Paints sample along with OD green and the blue. It's definitely pretty light but it's super damn close to the stock dash plastic and the magnet sample. The last two pics without the flash are the most real world pics.

I love it.

The only thing is I dropped my tailgate bar (******* it!) on it while it was still curing and I have a little chunk about 1/4"x1/8" out on one wheel well. I want to do the rollbar anyways, so I will just touch it up at that point.

Magnetman plans for a 1/2 gallon size? It would be great for like bumpers and wheel wells and isht. Also I want to do some black and some grey and would love to get a 1/2 colored and a 1/2 black.
Unread 10-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #5984
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Is chip on the right here Midnight Special?

Quote:
Unread 10-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #5985
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it's the Midnight, it may be a little dirty.

I just took these with iPhone-

No HDR no flash-

HDR-

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.