Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #556
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
I think the silver would be cool because it would blend into the floor. That might make it a pain to put down though. Unless I put some dark color underneath to add contrast. I would only want a light color if it was silver. Otherwise I would go with black or a dark gray like gunmetal.

Is there any difference to applying it in four coats then in two coats?
Not sure I understand question. 4 coats is thicker.
You would not get as much texture by roller if you apply it too thick at once.
I think the questions about 4 versus 2 is asking if there would be any issues in putting down 4 coats, and if there is any difference between coats.

Edit: throwing a ] at the end of /QUOTE will end the quote You probably know that already.

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #557
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
POR-15 metal ready (phosphoric acid solution) does not always work. You DON'T WANT SMOOTH SHINY STEEL for application of something like POR or Chassis Saver. You must have a profile on the metal or it can peel in sheets.
Now that's something I didn't know. I've been considering applying this to a front bumper, at least part of which is going to be aluminum. Any particular other steps or recommendations for that? Or will touch-up be too much of a pain to make it worth while? I thought about using a satin UV-resistant clear coat over gloss black Chassis Saver.

Then again I'm not really sure how you apply Chassis Saver, whether you must brush it on or if you can spray it on, nor how much coverage you get out of a quart. I imagine quite a bit.

Quote:
You would have to feel that stuff peeling from Firekite's truck to determine what it is. Undercoat is soft. That looks rigid like plastic. Peeling Rhino would feel like that. We have no idea how old that stuff is and it could be just a bad install. There are plenty of them out there. It looks thin which indicates a budget job.
The truck's a 2007. It can't be THAT old. It does bend as you can see from the pics, but it's not spongy or rubbery to the touch, more like dry, dusty, textured plastic. However, it seems a helluvalot thicker than the application on the sample that finally came in the mail today (helped seal the deal for me, btw).

But god knows it must surely be a budget job, because like I said it really looks like they had it delivered and then had one of their guys hit it with the liner, as-is. It was a fleet vehicle (well, it's a PSD 4x4 Lariat, so I think it must've been for a foreman) for a local foundation company up in Boerne. Put 150k miles on it before I bought it last September (2009) used from a used car place here that specializes almost exclusively in trucks. They probably knew they were going to put a metric ****ton of miles on it and get rid of it two or three years later anyway, so they didn't bother doing it right.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #558
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I think the questions about 4 versus 2 is asking if there would be any issues in putting down 4 coats, and if there is any difference between coats.

Edit: throwing a ] at the end of /QUOTE will end the quote You probably know that already.
No issues with more coats. I have a panel with at least 30 coats.

QUOTE]
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #559
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds good. I have also been thinking that I might throw down another coat if I crack open the can.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #560
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
61 square feet. If you can wait a few weeks I will tell you more both about white and if 1 gallon will do it.
I'm OK going Black if I decide on your product... I'd rather get in on the special deal... good to know that 1 Gal will cover it! What is the "approx" coverage for 1 Gal?
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:07 AM   #561
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wade, I think he was saying that 1 gallon will cover 61 square feet, and that he will get back to you on info for white and if it should cover the bed with just 1 gallon.
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #562
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Now that's something I didn't know. I've been considering applying this to a front bumper, at least part of which is going to be aluminum. Any particular other steps or recommendations for that? Or will touch-up be too much of a pain to make it worth while? I thought about using a satin UV-resistant clear coat over gloss black Chassis Saver.

Then again I'm not really sure how you apply Chassis Saver, whether you must brush it on or if you can spray it on, nor how much coverage you get out of a quart. I imagine quite a bit.

The truck's a 2007. It can't be THAT old. It does bend as you can see from the pics, but it's not spongy or rubbery to the touch, more like dry, dusty, textured plastic. However, it seems a helluvalot thicker than the application on the sample that finally came in the mail today (helped seal the deal for me, btw).

But god knows it must surely be a budget job, because like I said it really looks like they had it delivered and then had one of their guys hit it with the liner, as-is. It was a fleet vehicle (well, it's a PSD 4x4 Lariat, so I think it must've been for a foreman) for a local foundation company up in Boerne. Put 150k miles on it before I bought it last September (2009) used from a used car place here that specializes almost exclusively in trucks. They probably knew they were going to put a metric ****ton of miles on it and get rid of it two or three years later anyway, so they didn't bother doing it right.
Monsta touch up is easy.
Don't bother with clear over CHassis Saver it don't work. Use a satin black paint instead.

Gloss black Chassis Saver brushes like glass, does not need to be sprayed. Covers 90 sq ft per quart.

That liner was just beat. They must have dumped and shoveled cement and gravel in there.

Let me know how far you can peel it.

Going to sleep here. Will be in Michigan tomorrow till Tuesday AM.
I will be working and online.

PS: We will run out of Monstaliner tomorrow. Batches to be produced next Wednesday. I've extended the promo until March 22nd

This is a batch of Monstaliner in production. Smoke is from the moisture scavenger used to remove any moisture from the pigment premix prior to adding the moisture cure polymers to the tank. Pretty cool.
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #563
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

WOW, that is pretty cool to see.
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #564
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wade, I think he was saying that 1 gallon will cover 61 square feet, and that he will get back to you on info for white and if it should cover the bed with just 1 gallon.
I was thinking he was figuring my bed dimension at about 61 sq ft (and that 1 Gal would cover that)... I didn't do do the math... I suck at math, I'm an IT guy...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #565
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That, sir, is a witch's brew! Very nice

Hmmm...it sounds like I'll just use the gloss black for the frame, axle tubes, control arms, etc, and rattle can the bumper, since if I'm going to be touching it up anyway, why waste the Chassis Saver, right?

I imagine the control arms and frame and such won't generally receive enough sunlight to fade it that much, will it? I guess it depends on how UV-sensitive it really is. Would rattle-can even stick to the gloss black? What would be the point of putting a coat or two of rattle-can over the top of it rather than just rattle canning it from the beginning? At least if the rattle can chips the Chassis Saver should hold fast underneath it, I guess?

Maybe I'm just overthinking it and should use the Chassis Saver for its intended job of painting right over rust and leave it at that.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #566
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
No, his bed is 61 sq ft. Monsta will cover 80 sq ft per gal at our recommended thickness. You can stretch it further. Problem with white is that it won't cover as well as black so stretching further may show through to bed. But... bed is white already. I will advise further when we make some lab sample of white.
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #567
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh... glad to see I can't read properly (for Wade's sake).

This has to be like the 3rd or 4th time that you said you were going to bed, and continue to answer questions. Workaholic a bit?
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #568
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh... glad to see I can't read properly (for Wade's sake).

This has to be like the 3rd or 4th time that you said you were going to bed, and continue to answer questions. Workaholic a bit?
Goodnight!

Unread 03-12-2010, 01:25 AM   #569
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey MagnetMan, I noticed on the ford-trucks.com site that firekite mention, there was a Montaliner ad (one of the ad.doubleclick.net ads).

Edit: and now I see why... you happen to be a vendor there too.

I also see that you currently viewing this thread. So much for going to bed (although I do that too).
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #570
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Surface is hard. We messed with spongy a long time ago and it gets torn up easy..
You mentioned you are new to the Jeep community. You also said you feel the rock hard tough is a plus, and is actually a main marketing point with 'no tire rubber' in the mix. I have friends with hard sand paperish surfaces in vehicles. In my opinion hard and grippy is great for real bed liner in the bed of a pickup, but not so much for a Jeep interior.

People are in a Jeep tub interior more than cargo, so there is more casual contact with the surface. Passengers with shorts, flip flops, and tank tops are not uncommon (the more bare skin the better [see 'Who has hottest wife/gf' thread for samples]). I for one prefer a softer feel to the surface and appreciate Herculiner's rubber content. I also appreciate the sound deadening qualities of the softer material. I would rather have to buy a quart every few years for some touch up than live with a harsh interior feel every day.

I don't mean to disparage your product, good luck with it, really. I just wanted to mention this for others to consider.

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.