Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #541
telkinsjr
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just placed my order. Can't wait. Goodbye carpet and all the dog hair with it.

04 LJ: 4.0, auto, 4.88s, Aussie Locker front, Trac-loc rear, 3" BDS lift, Rock Krawler HD steering, 1" BL, 35" KM2s, MCE Flattie Fenders, Olympic A/T Slider front and rear bumpers, A/T rock rails, XRC8 winch, onboard CO2, Hummer-style intake, Hi-lift, HighRock tire carrier, CB, Bluetooth, Monstaliner
telkinsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #542
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
OK, I've decided to sell my existing Raptor kit and buy this for both my truck and Jeep. Looks like it may well be worth the extra cost. Might as well take advantage of the sale, and other stuff can wait another month or two. I'm adding all this to the online cart, but I do have a quick couple of questions on the Chassis Saver:

1) Is the Antique Satin Black just a satin black? What makes it "Antique" exactly?

2) Would this be an acceptable paint to use on surfaces that will be abused, such as bumpers and control arms and axle tubes that will scrape the rocks and get bashed into things, etc? I've heard POR-15 is supposed to be some seriously tough and bullet-proof stuff, and if this is the equivalent, I should be good. If so, is there a particular color you recommend?

I'll try to do a write-up for the truck (Out with the Rino, in with the Monsta) like LuckRider did for his Jeep. I figure the guys on ford-trucks.com might like to know

EDIT: 3) Now that I think of it, can/should this be used for a roll cage I'd like to build soon? I want something that won't chip off or flake or whatever even if it does a slow flop on the rocks or hits an overhead rock ledge or big tree branch or whatever. Also, I'm kind of wondering how far a quarter goes.

EDIT AGAIN: While I'm trying to order TWO kits, the 1 gallon and the 2 gallon, the FREECSQ code will only apply against one of the quarts of Chassis Saver. Do I need to process them separately as two separate orders?
Antique Satin is just the name we called instead of Satin for classic resto stuff.
You need to know that Chassis Saver will change in sunlight and needs to be topcoated for asthetics. For under vehicle go with gloss black as it is tougher than satin.
Use Monstaliner on bumpers.

Tree branches yes, I don'y think bouncing off rock ledges is healthy and any coating will be damaged but it's repairable.

Just order a 2 separate orders. The coupon code only works 1 time per order.

MM

Last edited by magnetman; 03-11-2010 at 10:23 PM..
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #543
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skclark View Post
The previous owner put a very abrasive liner in my CJ7 tub and i want to get rid of it and go with your product. Got any advice on stripping the old stuff?

Second Q, How do you order Monstaliner in colors? I only see black as an option.

Finally, is there any info on spraying your product? Personally I would prefer to spray it rather than roll. Is there a particular type of sprayer recommended or will my Home Depot special work?
Husky Pro Pro HVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun - HDS89099AV at The Home Depot
A big NO on that spray gun. Need to search this thread for the gun someone ordered at tcpglobal. It must be an undercoating gun. Reg gun orifice is way too small.

Colors are not able to be ordered yet. Late next week or following week.

What color do you need?

Will finish my answer later on removal

You probably have Herculiner in there
Try a heavy wire cup brush on an angle grinder. Try not to remove the OEM paint. Try to remove as much of the rough stuff which is rubber particles.
Then sand it reasonably smooth with 80 grit paper. Monstaliner will hide a slightly rough remaining surface.
You may want to just prime it all with the Chassis Saver silver.

Last edited by magnetman; 03-11-2010 at 10:18 PM..
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #544
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Firekite, I don't know how strong the P.O.R. actually is. BESRK said that when he was shipping bumpers, the stuff would chip when the bumpers were set down during shipping. That might have just been an issue with it not having enough time to cure though.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #545
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

lol looks like Im pealing this out. thanks for the fast help, going to get some MEK ib the way home from work tomarrow and get started, where is a good place to grab it?
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #546
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Home Depot, Lowes... you may find it at Wal-Mart, but I would stick with Home Depot or Lowes. The quart is like $11.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #547
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

cool, thanks for the fast reply, both are on my way home
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #548
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
You're gong to need to put a full 2 gallons in there to get that thickness.

I should have silver samples late next week. A few others are considering light gray as an alternate to silver so I just thought to mention it.

Good night to all!
I think the silver would be cool because it would blend into the floor. That might make it a pain to put down though. Unless I put some dark color underneath to add contrast. I would only want a light color if it was silver. Otherwise I would go with black or a dark gray like gunmetal.

Is there any difference to applying it in four coats then in two coats?
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #549
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
That's hot, I never realized Jeep made a pickup in the past.

You could probably squeeze that out of 1 gallon but I won't guarantee it. It would likely work if sprayed. 2 gallons will give much better protection and really good film thickness.

Can you get interior measurements for me over the weekend?
They only made 1986-1992 and not that many around still...

Here is the approx inside dimensions (not exact but reasonably close). The Tailgate surface (not shown) that would also need covering is ~ 18" H by 53" Wide.

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #550
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Firekite, I don't know how strong the P.O.R. actually is. BESRK said that when he was shipping bumpers, the stuff would chip when the bumpers were set down during shipping. That might have just been an issue with it not having enough time to cure though.
Problem like that is more a matter of surface prep to get good adhesion.
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #551
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I know from experience that his serface prep is basically a wash in phospheric acid to get clean shiny steel. I would imagine he cleaned it with marine clean too.

I thought more about the picds from Firekite's truck, and it kind of looks like undercoating, not a truck bed liner. I could be totally wrong there, but I think it may be. That stuff doesn't do a very good job of holding up to the abuse that a truck bed goes through.
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #552
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Well, I know from experience that his serface prep is basically a wash in phospheric acid to get clean shiny steel. I would imagine he cleaned it with marine clean too.

I thought more about the picds from Firekite's truck, and it kind of looks like undercoating, not a truck bed liner. I could be totally wrong there, but I think it may be. That stuff doesn't do a very good job of holding up to the abuse that a truck bed goes through.
POR-15 metal ready (phosphoric acid solution) does not always work. You DON'T WANT SMOOTH SHINY STEEL for application of something like POR or Chassis Saver. You must have a profile on the metal or it can peel in sheets.

This guy should be using Epoxy Primer on bare steel and do away with all the hobby shop stuff.

You would have to feel that stuff peeling from Firekite's truck to determine what it is. Undercoat is soft. That looks rigid like plastic. Peeling Rhino would feel like that. We have no idea how old that stuff is and it could be just a bad install. There are plenty of them out there. It looks thin which indicates a budget job.

How's your Monstaliner doing? Any plans for the other gallon yet?
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #553
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
They only made 1986-1992 and not that many around still...

Here is the approx inside dimensions (not exact but reasonably close). The Tailgate surface (not shown) that would also need covering is ~ 18" H by 53" Wide.
61 square feet. If you can wait a few weeks I will tell you more both about white and if 1 gallon will do it.
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #554
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=DaleII;9065600]I think the silver would be cool because it would blend into the floor. That might make it a pain to put down though. Unless I put some dark color underneath to add contrast. I would only want a light color if it was silver. Otherwise I would go with black or a dark gray like gunmetal.

Is there any difference to applying it in four coats then in two coats?[/QUOTE

Not sure I understand question. 4 coats is thicker.
You would not get as much texture by roller if you apply it too thick at once.
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #555
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am not exactly sure what how he prepped the metal before P.O.R. He is the mod for the fab shop section of the forum.

My liner is holding up beautifully. It has been abused pretty well, and it almost seems like I purposely beat it harder trying to mess it up in some way. I did have to patch one spot, but that was where I dropped the rear seat (the day AFTER I did the second coat, stupid, I know). I ended up waiting about 1 month before actually patching it, and all I did was used a wire brush on a drill to clean up the surface rust. The wire brush did nothing to the liner itself, and I was going after the edges to see if it would come up.

As for the second can, I still have no plans for it yet. I am possibly going to look at a hard top tomorrow, and if I get the spice one (he has a spice and a black), I thought about using the second can inside and out on that, and then doing the frame rails on our trailer. We did just paint that with Rustoleum oil based paint, but if I am cracking open the can, I will get as much use out of it as I can.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.