Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #526
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Well, I finally got a wild hair up my *** and decide to pull out the drop-in liner to get a better look at what's underneath. I can't tell what it is, but that's due largely to the fact that I don't know liners that well. It's cheap crap is all I can really tell you. From the way it's coming up, it doesn't even look like they bothered to scuff up the paint before laying it down.

I'll try to get some pics in the daylight, but this is after I hosed it out to get rid of some of the dirt and dust and leaves and such that had gathered underneath the old drop-in over the last few months.

So, what, scrape what I can off with a putty knife, grind the rest off with a wire wheel, scuff up the paint, layer it all with some primer, and then lay down the Monstaliner? Or what? What a pain. I wish they'd just left it bare instead or put in a drop-in liner. The dealership put in the drop-in liner to make it look nicer.
Don't know what that stuff is but it aint pretty. Can you tell me how well or poorly the stuff is bonded to the bed? Go at it with a stiff paint scraper or sharp chisel and let me know how easily it comes off. We can then discuss a few options on removal. A coarse wire cup brush on a grinder may be the best bet here. If you can leave as much of original paint as possible you may be best doing so as it will minimize products needed for bare metal prep.

Last edited by magnetman; 03-11-2010 at 10:07 AM..
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #527
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any chance of a "White" Color? I've been thinking about a commercial spray in for my 89 Jeep Comanche Bed, but can't justify the $400-$500... I might be able to talk myself into $115 for your product and a little elbow grease. I"m assuming 1 Gal would cover my 6' bed?
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #528
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
Any chance of a "White" Color? I've been thinking about a commercial spray in for my 89 Jeep Comanche Bed, but can't justify the $400-$500... I might be able to talk myself into $115 for your product and a little elbow grease. I"m assuming 1 Gal would cover my 6' bed?
Can you show me what an 89 Comanche looks like?

And do you realize that no matter what you do, white is not going to stay white unless it on your roof?
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #529
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Can you show me what an 89 Comanche looks like?

And do you realize that no matter what you do, white is not going to stay white unless it on your roof?
Something like this... And I could be talked out of white... Was just asking

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #530
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Something like this... And I could be talked out of white... Was just asking
That's hot, I never realized Jeep made a pickup in the past.

You could probably squeeze that out of 1 gallon but I won't guarantee it. It would likely work if sprayed. 2 gallons will give much better protection and really good film thickness.

Can you get interior measurements for me over the weekend?
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #531
skclark
1982 CJ7 

The previous owner put a very abrasive liner in my CJ7 tub and i want to get rid of it and go with your product. Got any advice on stripping the old stuff?

Second Q, How do you order Monstaliner in colors? I only see black as an option.

Finally, is there any info on spraying your product? Personally I would prefer to spray it rather than roll. Is there a particular type of sprayer recommended or will my Home Depot special work?
Husky Pro Pro HVLP Gravity Feed Spray Gun - HDS89099AV at The Home Depot
skclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #532
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well, here are some additional pics. I still don't know what kind of liner it is. Could this be Duplicolor liner? It really doesn't look like they bothered to even scuff up the paint before applying. The texture of the stuff exists but is not scratchy or sharp, nor is it rubbery. It hasn't been put through a car wash yet, but there you go.

Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #533
NorCOWJ
2004 WJ 

im interested in coating the bottom section of my 04 WJ. its a laredo so im only wanting to do the gray plastic cladding on the lower section. how is the adhesion when applied to a plastic?
NorCOWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #534
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Well, here are some additional pics. I still don't know what kind of liner it is. Could this be Duplicolor liner? It really doesn't look like they bothered to even scuff up the paint before applying. The texture of the stuff exists but is not scratchy or sharp, nor is it rubbery. It hasn't been put through a car wash yet, but there you go.
I believe that what you've got there is a $400 Rhino at its worst. Looks too thick for duplicolor. Get a rigid, sharp end (chisel edge) paint scraper under it and work with a semi-sharp utility knife and peel as far as it will go.

There's a hand tool sold for removing stuff like this. We need to search. Saw it a few months ago.
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #535
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

ok here are a couple of pics of the problem areas, it looks like more has come loose since yesterday. sorry about the crappy phone pics, house was broken into last week and the camera was one of the items MIA

Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #536
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCOWJ View Post
im interested in coating the bottom section of my 04 WJ. its a laredo so im only wanting to do the gray plastic cladding on the lower section. how is the adhesion when applied to a plastic?
Depends if you prep it correctly and use an adhesion promoter.

Read this document
http://www.monstaliner.com/documents...ng_Plastic.pdf
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #537
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

will shoot you a PM with my number any time after 2pm(central time) weekdays or any time on weekends is great
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #538
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viencent View Post
ok here are a couple of pics of the problem areas, it looks like more has come loose since yesterday. sorry about the crappy phone pics, house was broken into last week and the camera was one of the items MIA
I'm really sorry abuot this. I should have flagged a potential problem when you posted your before photo and said that the existing surface was not sound. Also if MEK would have been used it probably would have turned that old stuff to liquid real fast. The mineral spirits used would not do anything.

We are going to supply you with replacement material. Unfortunately you are going to need to peel that stuff up and clean that old junk off.

What are you doing this weekend?
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #539
apexjeepinjoe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would also like a white for the half cab of my Jeepster

2012 Wrangler Rubicon(my woman's ride)
2002 Wrangler Apex Edition(with lots of goodies)
1988 Comanche(stock for now)
1970 Jeepster Commando(a work In progress)
apexjeepinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #540
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I've decided to sell my existing Raptor kit and buy this for both my truck and Jeep. Looks like it may well be worth the extra cost. Might as well take advantage of the sale, and other stuff can wait another month or two. I'm adding all this to the online cart, but I do have a quick couple of questions on the Chassis Saver:

1) Is the Antique Satin Black just a satin black? What makes it "Antique" exactly?

2) Would this be an acceptable paint to use on surfaces that will be abused, such as bumpers and control arms and axle tubes that will scrape the rocks and get bashed into things, etc? I've heard POR-15 is supposed to be some seriously tough and bullet-proof stuff, and if this is the equivalent, I should be good. If so, is there a particular color you recommend?

I'll try to do a write-up for the truck (Out with the Rino, in with the Monsta) like LuckRider did for his Jeep. I figure the guys on ford-trucks.com might like to know

EDIT: 3) Now that I think of it, can/should this be used for a roll cage I'd like to build soon? I want something that won't chip off or flake or whatever even if it does a slow flop on the rocks or hits an overhead rock ledge or big tree branch or whatever. Also, I'm kind of wondering how far a quarter goes.

EDIT AGAIN: While I'm trying to order TWO kits, the 1 gallon and the 2 gallon, the FREECSQ code will only apply against one of the quarts of Chassis Saver. Do I need to process them separately as two separate orders?

Last edited by Deacon; 03-11-2010 at 01:32 PM..
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.