Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #361
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet. I can't wait to see the stuff a reality. I would imagine that UCC is getting the first can for his LJ.

Now time for a real tough question. Did the guy who begged for this stuff ever actually get any? It also seems like you do the work of way too many people. I wonder if that is the wave of the future. If so, it is very sad.

Keep us updated on colors. It looks great so far. And... I still want a sticker

JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #362
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexjeepinjoe View Post
Quick question? I am going to use the Monstaliner on my Jeepster inside the tub and the bulkhead. I am having to get rid of oil and grease spots and several coats of paint. Is it ok to apply this straight to bare metal or should I use a primer or the Chassis saver?
Get Self Etching Primer or Chassis saver. Since you are getting a free quart, follow their recommendations and use the stuff that will work best for coating over.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #363
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post

Boodyrider, if you still want to try this product I’ll give you an extra discount just for being such a nice guy

Regards
MagnetMan
LMAO... ok, fair enough. First, my condolences. Stuff happens, and I feel for your loss. You've known from day one I HOPED you were not like too many others who came and went online, and I'm glad to be wrong.

I'll get with you when I can figure out how to go a few days without salt or snow in my Jeep; I did the primer on the floors a while ago, and then the weather we've had trashed the inside again. Note to self... don't leave the windows open AT ALL in a blizzard... I got a foot of snow on my dash, from a 1/4" opening.

Chassis saver a good base if there's a bit of surface rust on the floorboards? I've always liked the POR-15, but willing to try new stuff, and I really want to kill off the rust before coating over it.

Looks like I'll be doing whatever small quantity of the chassis stuff is needed for the front floorboards (quart?) and then a gallon kit of the Monstaliner for the tub.

Probably be a month or so. If you get a sec... shoot me the pricing.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #364
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckrider View Post
Sweet. I can't wait to see the stuff a reality. I would imagine that UCC is getting the first can for his LJ.

Now time for a real tough question. Did the guy who begged for this stuff ever actually get any? It also seems like you do the work of way too many people. I wonder if that is the wave of the future. If so, it is very sad.

Keep us updated on colors. It looks great so far. And... I still want a sticker
Who was the guy begging??
magnetman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #365
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I want to add to boodyrider's questions on the chassis saver. You don't need to prep the metal at all right? All you do is just brush off any loose stuff. I know with P.O.R. 15 you have to use the marine clean and degreaser stuff to prep it.
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #366
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Who was the guy begging??
You mention that in the introduction of the material. It says that an employer herced his truck, and begged the chemists for 1 year to come up with a better solution.

Edit:

Quote:
Monstaliner started as a pet project. One of our employees had used a widely popular DIY bed liner on his
personal truck and was not so pleased with the outcome. He came into work one day with a mission and
for almost a year, he kept badgering the chemists in our lab to develop a better product.

One day after getting tired of listening to this guy rant, we sat down and mapped out what a
new generation do-it-yourself bed liner would have to offer to be successful. A first, we just toyed with the
project but we knew that a much better product was possible compared to those already on the market.
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #367
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You mention that in the introduction of the material. It says that an employer herced his truck, and begged the chemists for 1 year to come up with a better solution.

Edit:
Ok, yes. He no longer works here but was originally the inspiration for developing this product.
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #368
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I want to add to boodyrider's questions on the chassis saver. You don't need to prep the metal at all right? All you do is just brush off any loose stuff. I know with P.O.R. 15 you have to use the marine clean and degreaser stuff to prep it.
You must have a rough bare metal surface or tight remaining rust for Chassis Saver to have good adhesion. The POR-15 "package" is not wrong as a system but in my opinion a method of squeezing more cash out of your pocket.

The Marine Clean from POR-15 is just an overpriced water base degreaser. Simple Green or Zep Purple are your best commercial choices. You do want to degrease any surface you are going to paint with any type of coating (If you have grease or oil contamination) Degreasing in general is not a bad idea especially when dealing with automotive surfaces.

Regarding the Metal Ready from POR, this is a phosphoric acid wash with some zinc oxide. I've used it and have seen mixed results regarding whether it makes any difference for promoting adhesion.

I had a clean square of smooth, cold rolled steel approx 12" x 12". I followed directions and used metal ready on half. We coated with Chassis Saver gloss black and POR-15 over Metal Ready treated and untreated sides. We let it cure for 7 days and put some cross hatch cuts through the coating to the metal with a utility knife. We rubbed down some duct tape and pulled it up hard at a 90 degree angle to the surface. All coatings were removed down to metal on treated + untreated surfaces.

The best assurance is still a mechanically roughened surface or a 2K self etch primer (if bare smooth steel) or an automotive epoxy primer.

NOTE: DO NOT APPLY MONSTALINER DIRECT TO BARE METAL. Use a good quality primer on the surface first or Chassis Saver Silver-Aluminum (to a roughened surface only)

Additional note: If you don't want to use self etching primer or epoxy primer, a good quality (NOT A SPRAY CAN) industrial metal primer from a paint or hardware store works well. Just let this type of primer cure well for 48 to 72 hours before topcoating
Unread 02-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #369
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Close to biting on this! Just waiting to see your results on coating the TJ flares. The "NO BARE METAL"....is that a corrosion protection issue, a adhesion issue, or a lifting issue?
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #370
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanlanen View Post
Close to biting on this! Just waiting to see your results on coating the TJ flares. The "NO BARE METAL"....is that a corrosion protection issue, a adhesion issue, or a lifting issue?
NO BARE METAL is to avoid adhesion and lifting issues. Urethane coatings do not have good adhesion to bare metal. Epoxies have best adhesion. So it's smarter to just use a coating you know will stick as the base coat rather than go crazy with grinding, sanding or blasting to get adhesion. Most situations will have existing factory paint so scuff sanding that surface is sufficient.

Note: Those flares were never intended to be coated. The guy had just recently installed them new. We removed the flares to coat the rockers and around the wheel wells so the flares could be reinstalled cleanly over the coating which will now run under the rubber seals on the flares.
Unread 02-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #371
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Alrighty then. Thanks for the FYI.
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #372
ocTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Apex love the avatar that makes me happy

Just curious I have an Apex too but does yours have the Hood graphics? Or just the tan leather interior?

2002 Apex Jeep TJ Lifted, Locked, geared and ready for more
ocTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #373
apexjeepinjoe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocTJ View Post
Apex love the avatar that makes me happy

Just curious I have an Apex too but does yours have the Hood graphics? Or just the tan leather interior?
The hood graphic is gone but you can still see the outline of it.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon(my woman's ride)
2002 Wrangler Apex Edition(with lots of goodies)
1988 Comanche(stock for now)
1970 Jeepster Commando(a work In progress)
apexjeepinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #374
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

We got some new photos of an awesome 72' GMC Jimmy restoration project. Customer used Chassis Saver Silver-Aluminum under Monstaliner.

See photos here 1/2 way down the page
Monstaliner Project Photos
Unread 02-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #375
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

FREE MONSTALINER™ Sample Panels are available

Click Here to request one

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.