Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Introducing MONSTALINER� UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

2M views 14K replies 1K participants last post by  HandOverFist 
#1 ·
Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Hi All,

We are a new advertiser on jeepforum.com and I just want to introduce myself, our company and a very interesting new product.

My name is Eric and I have 25+ years experience in coatings manufacturing.
Our company Magnet Paints, is focused on industrial maintenance and commercial fleet refinish coatings,
epoxy and urethane concrete floor coatings and automotive restoration paints.

We are also the manufacturers of Chassis Saver™ Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Coating.
Chassis Saver is a high performance alternate to POR-15 at 45% lower cost.

For the past 5 years, our lab has been developing and fine tuning a roll on bed liner product.
The product has evolved through 3 generations of testing, development and field trials and has just been
commercialized and is available for sale.

I have personally been involved with installations on more than 20 vehicles in the last 4 years in which
my feedback and experience alone was the determining factor that the product was complete and ready for release.

Monstaliner started as a pet project. One of our employees had used a widely popular DIY bed liner on his
personal truck and was not so pleased with the outcome. He came into work one day with a mission and
for almost a year, he kept badgering the chemists in our lab to develop a better product.

One day after getting tired of listening to this guy rant, we sat down and mapped out what a
new generation do-it-yourself bed liner would have to offer to be successful. A first, we just toyed with the
project but we knew that a much better product was possible compared to those already on the market.

So here we are, very proud to present:

MONSTALINER™ High Performance DIY Roll On Bed Liner

I don't want to write a book here so I will post the web site link for all who are curious to check this out on their own time.

As an introduction special and for the rest of this month at least,
we are offering free shipping on anything sold on the web site.

Just use Promo Code "FSBL-1" when ordering either online or by phone.

Everyone, anyone... please feel free to ask any questions. I am always available to help.

Best Regards
magnetman
Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner

PS: We are looking for dealers in markets involving Jeep, Truck, 4x4 and Off-Roading.
If anyone with a legit business either online or offline has interest, just get in touch and we can
work with you to make something happen.

Additional links on our main web site
Magnet Paints Manufacturers High Performance Specialty Coatings
Paint Over Rust to Stop Rust Permanently With Chassis Saver Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

See less See more
#9,272 ·
I just put Chassis Saver on the underbody and new front floor of my kids Cherokee.

and it is awesome.... I now want to Monstaline the entire interior floor now, but have a few questions. I have tried to contact you but can't get through the tech line. There is a large stick on liner in the rear floor and 2 on the rear wheel house. do I have to remove them?? I can probably get the ones off the wheel house but not the rear load floor.... also what temp can it go down to for it still to work?? Looks like a bit of a warm up coming and I need to get it down soon. Thanks

#9,279 ·
Are you guys still looking for retail vendors? Ive left voicemails, emails, and messages through JF and FB looking for some info over the last few months with no response. Our shop is in Patchogue and i have a ton of Jeep customers as well as alot of classic muscle car and hotrod customers. All asking me about POR 15 and bed liner products. Whatsa guy gotta do to get in touch with someone in charge over there LOL. Id like to deal with a local company like you guys. Please PM me with some info.

#9,313 ·
We're setting up a dealer program after the new year. Working on some new packaging for the kits and the 1 gal kit is going to be upgraded to include a roller pan and blue tape. More promotional items are also in the works.. vinyl window decals, t-shirts and we have banners right now. A new brochure/catalog as well and some color post cards with the best of the best project pics

I want to talk to you and maybe come out to see you. Sending you a PM

#9,280 ·
Well, this weekend is FINALLY the weekend I get to lay down the Monstaliner on the bottom of my '89 tub. I'll be spraying it with Eric's Walcom gun. The color is Medium Quartz Gray. All of the rusty areas, courtesy of the salty air and wintery roads of Long island where she lived the past 22 years, will be covered in two coats of silver Chassis Saver on Friday night. The next morning around 9am, I will shoot two coats of Dupont Corlar 2.1 ST epoxy primer (actually, its labeled as a mastic, because its so thick). Then, about 3 or 4 hours later, I'll lay down the first coat of the Monsta. Wish me luck!!!
Here is a "before" pic, all scuff sanded with 100 grit paper. A couple months ago, I blasted off every bit of the undercoating with my pressure washer, and completely de-greased it as well.

***LATE BREAKING UPDATE #1***

Well....my plans for doing the bottom of my tub tomorrow have been shot to hell. While going through the instructions for the first time tonight, I took inventory of what I had received, and I quickly realized that I didn't get a can of catalyst!! No catalyst, no Monsta. The crappy part of it is, tonight I brushed on the first coat of Chassis Saver. I'll have to re-scuff those areas. :mad:

***LATE BREAKING UPDATE #2***
I called and spoke to someone at Magnet Paints this morning. They were very helpful, and said they will be shipping out the catalyst to me today. :)

#9,281 ·
Wow Looks good, just like mine did a few months back. When spraying the drying times between coats for me was just a couple hrs if that. So just keep an eye on it. Make sure you still have a small brush as there are a lot of places it is hard to get coverage with the gun, pockets behind the tail lights for example and under some of the cross members. Good luck.

#9,291 ·
Just want to throw my hat in here too for the ones that are having problems. I just noticed the rockers I did on my truck are peeling off in sheets. I first sprayed on some self-etching primer, then read here that ML doesn't stick well to that. So I sprayed some 2k real automotive primer over the self etching primer, then did the liner. I knew right away when I pulled the tape off that I was going to have problems with it sticking, and I just noticed a huge section of it is peeling off. The truck has been sitting in the garage for the last month and has only seen about 50 miles since I installed it. Not happy at all.

#9,292 ·
I think you'd have had better luck just sanding the EP for adhesion.

#9,294 ·
I used a nylon cup brush to rough up the paint. In a few spots, especially behind the back wheels, it was down to bare metal. I cleaned these areas, then used some self etching primer to go over the top of these spots. While I was waiting for that to dry, I read here that ML does not like SE primer, so I then sanded the primer a little then sprayed Omni 2k primer real automotive primer over the SE primer. This was about 9pm. The next morning I sanded the Omni primer, cleaned with mek, then sprayed on the Monstaliner. As soon as I was done with the couple coats, I peeled the tape back. Immediately I could see the monstaliner was not adhering to the areas where I primed.

Like I said above, I haven't even been driving the truck, it was sitting in the garage. I drove it yesterday and noticed behind the rear wheel the monstaliner was bubbling up. There is a section about 4" x 20" that has completely pulled loose from truck, and I could peel it away like a sheet of paper. I am sure there will be more areas that will do the same once I put the truck in to use. It is very upsetting since I spent a good solid 4 days doing this.

One more concern I have is the monstaliner seems very hard and brittle? I have used many gallons of herculiner over the years, and it always stays soft and pliable. (and sticks to EVERYTHING) I was drawn to this since your claim of being UV permanent, at this point I am really wishing I would have just sprayed the herculiner and uv topcoat as I always have in the past.

Brew

#9,298 ·
This was going to be my next question.

What does the back side of the peeled ML look like? I would like to fig out exactly what is peeling off of what and sometimes it's hard to tell

Also, what was the self etch primer you used?

What I can tell you about self etch primers in general is that all the latest products suck. They have much less acid that the old style 2K self etch products.

#9,299 ·
Nope, the primer stuck fine. here are a few pics,

this is a picture of the rocker, the white is the truck (van) body, the black line is dry erase marker I used to mark the layout, the pink/purple color is the Omni automotive primer, and of course the black is monsta liner. This entire section is loose, I can peel it off like it was a sheet of paper. Like I said above, it is also *hard* not rubbery or flexible at all. it cracked where my hand is, the stuff is all loose. (seemed to stick well to my exhaust :confused:)

Here is where I followed this line around on the interior of the van too. This is inside the door, you can see where it basically peeled off where the tape was pulled, the primer stayed fine, and I can take my fingernail and pick the stuff right off,

Worst part is I sprayed this primer in quite a few areas thinking it would stick better.

#9,302 ·
I see what you have now please tell me the exact products you used, what brands and if they are spray can materials or liquid in regular paint cans

There's a lot of new products on the market and unless each company tests other products in combination with their products we know nothing

#9,303 ·
Ok, just went out and checked the van for more spots and there are many areas that are loose. The entire section by the cargo doors is loose which means literally days of removing tools, shelving, security cage, flooring, etc. to fix. Not a happy camper at this point.

I used Rustoleum self etching primer in a can first in the areas that were down to bare metal. After I read here that you shouldn't use that, I went over the top of almost everything with Omni MP182 urethane surfacer. It is a 2 part automotive primer that I sprayed with my hvlp gun. Before I sprayed the ML, I roughed up the primer, and wiped with mek, everything is sticking fine, except for the ML. I waited about 8 hours between spraying the Omni primer and the spraying of the ML.

http://www.automotivepaintandequipment.com/pdf/omni/OB08_ MP182.pdf

#9,307 ·
I am thinking that the urethane primer may not have been scuffed well enough. It's impossible to predict what reactions can happen when products that have not previously been tested together are used. It's no mystery why paint companies always claim that you should not cross products from other companies in the same application. It's not because they can't or won't work, they usually will but without prior testing in a lab there's no way to detail the exact procedures, recoat window, etc that needs to happen for absolute results.

tsbrewers, what grit did you scuff over the primer with before putting the ML?

The jury is still out until Magnetman does his own testing to duplicate the same situation, but I'm thinking that there could have been some outgassing of the self-etch through the porous surfacer, which caused the adhesion issue. We'll see.

#9,304 ·
The jury is still out until Magnetman does his own testing to duplicate the same situation, but I'm thinking that there could have been some outgassing of the self-etch through the porous surfacer, which caused the adhesion issue. We'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.