Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 202 - JeepForum.com

 7Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3016 of 13187 Old 04-15-2011, 07:21 AM
COJK
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25
I have to say, this thread has been very interesting. I never knew people from Long Island were so generous and helpful! (I'm from Queens, but live in CO now - the scenery and the wheeling are much better here than there, but the pizza sucks here)

I read ALL of the first 100 pages, then realized I was nowhere near the end of the thread. I'm certain this question was answered somewhere in the thread, but I didn't see it where I read. My plan is to Mostaline my JK 4-dr stem to stern inside, but I'd like to do it in stages so as to minimize the breakdown and reassembly of my interior. If I start with the bed all the way in the back, then do the backseat area another weekend and finally finish with the driver and passenger seat area I only have to disassemble small portions of the Heep at one time. It also minimizes the "might as wells". If the whole interior is stripped, there are several more projects that I might as well do, too. So shut up and ask your question already, right? Will I need a total of 2 gallons to cover the interior of my 4dr JK? If I do, what is the best combination of sizes to use for my plan? I was thinking 1 full gallon and 4 qrts.

Lastly, and on a different subject, can I do something similar with the Chasis Saver? If I worked on small parts of the underside at a time, will I need a new can for each new section or does the CS remain usable in it's can once it's been mixed?

Before the questions come, realize that I have a family, kids, 80hr a week job and minimal free time even on weekends. Its just about managing my available wrenching time.

COJK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3017 of 13187 Old 04-15-2011, 07:38 AM
COJK
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 25
Sorry for the barrage of probably-already-answered-questions, but I have another thought (scary words from me). Has anyone used this on the inside of the hardtop pieces? I have been looking for a way to insulate both for sound and tempurature, but I don't like the fabric headliner idea. In CO, we have jacked up weather, to say the least. Yesterday for instance, we had 2" of new snow fall overnight. Temps were right at 32 until the sun came up. So when I went to work I had a blanket of ice and snow on the roof of my Jeep. This keeps the hardtop pretty cold, but as soon as the temps started to rise, the humidity did as well. The cold roof, combined with high (for CO) humidity left a thick layer of moisture on the inside of the roof, in the cab. If I had a fabric headliner, all that moisture would be absorbed. Then bad things start to happen. Sagging headliner, mold, smells, etc. I know early on tests were planned for heat exchange, heat tolertance etc with the Mostaliner. What about moisture? I assume this will stand up just fine to the condition I described, something not uncommon well into May here. What about insulating properties? Both sound and temp? What has been discovered now that everyone has painted everything with Monstaliner?
COJK is offline  
post #3018 of 13187 Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 PM
aestrad1
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 756
Too much too read in this thread, so I have a few questions before I order:

1. Whats the best way to prevent heat from coming from the floor? I saw people post on lizard skin, but I dont have the tools to spray on. Can I roll this over the sheets of heat insulation?

2. Site says no crumb rubber, does that mean this stuff rolls on smooth? I hated how rough the Herc was in my old rig.

3. 2 gallon kit for an LJ and roll bars?
aestrad1 is offline  
post #3019 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cullman
Posts: 11,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJK View Post
I have to say, this thread has been very interesting. I never knew people from Long Island were so generous and helpful! (I'm from Queens, but live in CO now - the scenery and the wheeling are much better here than there, but the pizza sucks here)

I read ALL of the first 100 pages, then realized I was nowhere near the end of the thread. I'm certain this question was answered somewhere in the thread, but I didn't see it where I read. My plan is to Mostaline my JK 4-dr stem to stern inside, but I'd like to do it in stages so as to minimize the breakdown and reassembly of my interior. If I start with the bed all the way in the back, then do the backseat area another weekend and finally finish with the driver and passenger seat area I only have to disassemble small portions of the Heep at one time. It also minimizes the "might as wells". If the whole interior is stripped, there are several more projects that I might as well do, too. So shut up and ask your question already, right? Will I need a total of 2 gallons to cover the interior of my 4dr JK? If I do, what is the best combination of sizes to use for my plan? I was thinking 1 full gallon and 4 qrts.

Lastly, and on a different subject, can I do something similar with the Chasis Saver? If I worked on small parts of the underside at a time, will I need a new can for each new section or does the CS remain usable in it's can once it's been mixed?

Before the questions come, realize that I have a family, kids, 80hr a week job and minimal free time even on weekends. Its just about managing my available wrenching time.
I wish I could blow off NY and come out there to live but yes I would miss the pizza here so I'm stuck <<<--- mike_breaker_5... That one's for you dude!

So what can I do to talk you out of doing it this way?
You may need 3 gallons to get the job done like this. Each time you mix the product, pour it in the roller pan, saturate some new rollers you lose material.
Not to mention that your final results may look like patchwork quilt. I'm sure you can make it work by stopping and starting strategically
at corners and hard lines but once the scuffing is done the rolling does not take that long.

If time is the problem please allow me to suggest something else:

Disassemble all but the driver seat then scuff all surfaces at your leisure.
From there, decide what day to do 1st coat.
Remove remaining seat and apply 1st coat. Next morning put seat back. Then do the same thing within a few days or in a week max to do 2nd coat.

Did I succeed in changing your mind?

Regarding Chassis Saver, just follow the directions on the tech data sheet regarding "a solvent float" where you put a little S8 reducer on top of the remaining material in the can and reclose the lid.
Chassis Saver Tech Bulletin
If you want cause I've been thinking about this, I'm going to put a discount rate up on the web shopping cart to buy 4 x 8 oz cans instead of a quart so this may help as well.
magnetman is offline  
post #3020 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cullman
Posts: 11,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by COJK View Post
What about moisture? I assume this will stand up just fine to the condition I described, something not uncommon well into May here. What about insulating properties? Both sound and temp? What has been discovered now that everyone has painted everything with Monstaliner?
No issues with moisture. Minimal if any insulation against cold temps. Small help with sound dampening.

I don't drive a jeep with Monstaliner in it so perhaps some customers can comment better from daily experience?
magnetman is offline  
post #3021 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cullman
Posts: 11,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestrad1 View Post
Too much too read in this thread, so I have a few questions before I order:

1. Whats the best way to prevent heat from coming from the floor? I saw people post on lizard skin, but I dont have the tools to spray on. Can I roll this over the sheets of heat insulation?

2. Site says no crumb rubber, does that mean this stuff rolls on smooth? I hated how rough the Herc was in my old rig.

3. 2 gallon kit for an LJ and roll bars?
If the sheet insulation is it soft, flexible and/or aluminum foil faced I would not put Monstaliner over it.

Bumpy, pronounced orange peel surface, not rough or abrasive. You can see good closeups in the galleries on the site.
This is exactly what it looks like if you re-roll over the coating in 10 - 15 minutes after first putting it down. (2nd coat)



2 door Wranglers need 1 gallon for the tub. It may stretch to do the roll bars but it may not. All depends on how you apply it in the tub.
Worst case you may need extra quart

magnetman is offline  
post #3022 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 12:32 AM
jeepers29
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 173
Hey Magnetman, hope all is well with you. Just checking to see when color samples will be on the website to look at? Are we still 2-3 weeks out for orders on the colors? Thanks.
jeepers29 is offline  
post #3023 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cullman
Posts: 11,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
Hey Magnetman, hope all is well with you. Just checking to see when color samples will be on the website to look at? Are we still 2-3 weeks out for orders on the colors? Thanks.
Doing good thanks! Getting excited for colors.
Definitely less than 3 weeks now. Next week we confirm and test about 6 to 8 colors.
We were bored today so we broke out the tequila and made some orange in the lab. (Bottom 2 shots were still very wet)

What color are you waiting for?

Attached Thumbnails
330-844_LF-1.jpg   330-844_LF-2.jpg   330-844_LF-3.jpg  

Last edited by magnetman; 04-16-2011 at 12:15 PM.
magnetman is offline  
post #3024 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 05:39 AM
TheDirtyGeneral
Registered User
2009  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USF. Tampa
Posts: 2,800
OMFG ITS IN COLOR!!!!


Chris. I miss driving my Jeep. Can't wait to get into another one.
TheDirtyGeneral is offline  
post #3025 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 05:58 AM
jeepers29
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Doing good thanks! Getting excited for colors.
Definitely less than 3 weeks now. Next week we confirm and test about 6 to 8 colors.
We were bored today so we broke out the tequila and made some orange in the lab. (Bottom 2 shots were still very wet)

What color are you waiting for?



Nice! That middle pic looks preetty close to Longhorn burnt orange. Very nice for this part of the country!
jeepers29 is offline  
post #3026 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 06:06 AM
ajf1994
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 1,694
Question... Would you apply with ~50 degree weather and raining outside? I ended up having the day off of work, and nothing to do...

-SupportOurTroops-
My Build Thread
MONSTALINE'D for Life!
I Supported Stu!

High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim View Post
my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
ajf1994 is offline  
post #3027 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 06:07 AM
mike_breaker_5
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: emporium,
Posts: 3,005


that is totally awesome! now only thing left is to get it as a forum icon, just think

Ratmonkey donation page. all proceeds will go to his family.
http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fu..._source=widget


it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline  
post #3028 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 AM
aestrad1
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
If the sheet insulation is it soft, flexible and/or aluminum foil faced I would not put Monstaliner over it.

2 door Wranglers need 1 gallon for the tub. It may stretch to do the roll bars but it may not. All depends on how you apply it in the tub.
Worst case you may need extra quart

Can you recommend anything to lay down before to keep the heat out? Its gets HOT here over the summer here in AZ, so Id rather not fight the floor heat when running the AC.

Also the LJ is 10 inches longer in the tub and I want to do the roll bars. I want to take the liner all the way up the sides up to the windows in the rear. Will the quart cover this extra area or should I just get 2 gallons to be safe?

Thanks for the quick replies!
aestrad1 is offline  
post #3029 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 AM
ajf1994
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestrad1 View Post
Can you recommend anything to lay down before to keep the heat out? Its gets HOT here over the summer here in AZ, so Id rather not fight the floor heat when running the AC.

Also the LJ is 10 inches longer in the tub and I want to do the roll bars. Will the quart cover this extra area or should I just get 2 gallons to be safe?

Thanks for the quick replies!
I know it is possible to do the entire LJ tub with 1 gallon, and you might have enough left over to do the roll bars, so I would say that 1 quart extra would definitely be enough to cover all of these areas.

-SupportOurTroops-
My Build Thread
MONSTALINE'D for Life!
I Supported Stu!

High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim View Post
my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
ajf1994 is offline  
post #3030 of 13187 Old 04-16-2011, 07:05 AM
tractor1
Registered User
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lost In IL.
Posts: 578
I Like the ORANGE that is the color I need
tractor1 is offline  
Reply

Tags
bed liner , Bedliner , diy , herc , herculiner , liner , monstaliner , POR 15 , protection , raptor , rust , upol , vendor

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome