Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 186 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Reply
Unread 03-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #2776
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylke View Post
Can I use Monstaliner over everything? I now have some sort of Chassis saver/Por15 inside the tub and am thinking about using Monstaliner. Will the Monstaliner dissolve the layer of paint underneath, unless it's automotive paint?

I have already filled out the color form, but yet again: fire engine red please!
Good question. The solvent in Monstaliner will only dissolve or soften many spray paints.
It will definitely not damage Chassis Saver or POR15 but those surfaces need to be scuff sanded before putting
the ML over them if they are old or have been cured for more than 24 hours.

The only other times you need to be careful putting Monstaliner over other paints or primers is if the
product is still freshly applied within the last 24 to 48 hours.

So for example, if you used a Rustoleum metal primer or an oil base gloss enamel from a quart or gallon can (not spray) you
need to wait a minimum of 72 hours before putting ML over that.

Reds are on our short list!

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #2777
Parky
Senior Member
 
Parky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 16 square miles surrounded by reality, Colorado
Posts: 827
Sorry if this has been covered already, but I didn't want to read a 185 pages. How does it hold up to heat if I was to put it on a portion of my hood? Does it peal?
__________________
Colorado Jeep Member #12

Happy Jeeper
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #2778
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky View Post
Sorry if this has been covered already, but I didn't want to read a 185 pages. How does it hold up to heat if I was to put it on a portion of my hood? Does it peal?
Another good question that has not been discussed in that much detail.

No issues with that type of heat. We clamped a coated Monstaliner panel to a metal ladder and but a Bernzomatic torch on the back side with flame adjusted to control heat at about 200 degrees F.

The coating softens slightly and returns to normal when cool.

You just need to make sure you scuff sand surface well to avoid adhesion problems.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #2779
Tinga
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,331
My brother used the left over Chassis saver on the exterior of his hood. He brushed it on and so far it's been holding up.
__________________
Girls like STROKIN too!
[COLOR="Magenta"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/1971-jeepster-commando-1380633/[/COLOR]
Tinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #2780
beauhawk
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Is Khaki Diamond a stock interior color from '05?
It's a soft top color, but I think the carpet is close to it. The color you are doing for the customer next month is probably spot on. Can't wait for pics!!
beauhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #2781
stefanhinote
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: tucson
Posts: 27
Stuff looks great, better then what I got from autozone that I lined the tub with.
stefanhinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #2782
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauhawk View Post
It's a soft top color, but I think the carpet is close to it. The color you are doing for the customer next month is probably spot on. Can't wait for pics!!
That Jeep is getting dropped off to us on Monday. We'll have it in our warehouse for at least 5 weeks.

To me, the color is a medium/dark gray but I'll have some photos up next week so you can see it
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #2783
MarkF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Hempstead, LI
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
That Jeep is getting dropped off to us on Monday. We'll have it in our warehouse for at least 5 weeks.

To me, the color is a medium/dark gray but I'll have some photos up next week so you can see it
The Jeep that is being dropped off is a 98 Gunmetal with the Grey interior. I know it well
__________________
98 Gunmetal Sport - RE 4.5 LA, BFG 35", 1" BL/MM, D44 & lots of armor.
MarkF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #2784
Tinga
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,331
Got another rig that's gonna need the Monsta: Gonna need the interior as well as the bed. The bed is super important because of the pump, hose and reel and water tank in the back. Gotta be durable and we're not chancing it with another liner. We've had super good success with our TJ, now this bad boys getting the treatment:
__________________
Girls like STROKIN too!
[COLOR="Magenta"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/1971-jeepster-commando-1380633/[/COLOR]
Tinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #2785
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler
 
mike_breaker_5's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: emporium,, pennsylvania
Posts: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
Got another rig that's gonna need the Monsta: Gonna need the interior as well as the bed. The bed is super important because of the pump, hose and reel and water tank in the back. Gotta be durable and we're not chancing it with another liner. We've had super good success with our TJ, now this bad boys getting the treatment:
__________________
Ratmonkey donation page. all proceeds will go to his family.
http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fu..._source=widget


it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #2786
Tinga
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,331
Here's a side pic when we got it off the trailer.


Maybe you guys could come up with some suggestion on how we can sand, clean and line this area.
Right behind the cab, on the very bottom is a small door. You can see the oval bottom of the door with a small "V" notch in it.
The "torpedo tube" is about 10" tall by maybe 8-9" wide and goes ALL the way through to the other side. Now we have plans for this little area and would like to line it. Some suggestions we've tossed around on how to sand it are: ( the area HAS been painted, but is flaking off with some effort so we believe the whole tube to be intact and semi rust free)
Chimney sweep brush and drill
2x4 covered in sand paper
Swiffer type mop head with sand paper on a pole

?? So, what are your ideas? We have access on both sides so that will help.
__________________
Girls like STROKIN too!
[COLOR="Magenta"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/1971-jeepster-commando-1380633/[/COLOR]
Tinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #2787
TheDirtyGeneral
Registered User
2009  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USF. Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
Here's a side pic when we got it off the trailer.


Maybe you guys could come up with some suggestion on how we can sand, clean and line this area.
Right behind the cab, on the very bottom is a small door. You can see the oval bottom of the door with a small "V" notch in it.
The "torpedo tube" is about 10" tall by maybe 8-9" wide and goes ALL the way through to the other side. Now we have plans for this little area and would like to line it. Some suggestions we've tossed around on how to sand it are: ( the area HAS been painted, but is flaking off with some effort so we believe the whole tube to be intact and semi rust free)
Chimney sweep brush and drill
2x4 covered in sand paper
Swiffer type mop head with sand paper on a pole

?? So, what are your ideas? We have access on both sides so that will help.

I take it unbolting the bed and sliding it back isnt an option

Maybe a reciprocating saw (sawzall) with sandpaper rigged to it?
__________________
Chris. I miss driving my Jeep. Can't wait to get into another one.
TheDirtyGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #2788
Tinga
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,331
Bed would probably NOT be able to be detached. Not that removing it wold do any good anyways... it's built into the bed , not the cab.
The little "tube" goes all the way through to the other side. It's all 1 piece open at both ends.
The pump equipment is on a rail system and will be removed for lining.
It's just that small compartment that's giving us trouble. It has tire chains in there not, but will eventually hold shovels, picks hi lift jack, come along and other stuff.
__________________
Girls like STROKIN too!
[COLOR="Magenta"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/1971-jeepster-commando-1380633/[/COLOR]
Tinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #2789
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
 
magnetman's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 10,899
How about an angle grinder with a wire cup wheel,
take some hose clamps and strap the handle on the grinder to the end of a 6 or 8 ft pole either wood or steel

How bad is the rust in there?

edit: how about a cheap sandblast unit from Harbor Freight, would be good to have around for tons of stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
Here's a side pic when we got it off the trailer.


Maybe you guys could come up with some suggestion on how we can sand, clean and line this area.
Right behind the cab, on the very bottom is a small door. You can see the oval bottom of the door with a small "V" notch in it.
The "torpedo tube" is about 10" tall by maybe 8-9" wide and goes ALL the way through to the other side. Now we have plans for this little area and would like to line it. Some suggestions we've tossed around on how to sand it are: ( the area HAS been painted, but is flaking off with some effort so we believe the whole tube to be intact and semi rust free)
Chimney sweep brush and drill
2x4 covered in sand paper
Swiffer type mop head with sand paper on a pole

?? So, what are your ideas? We have access on both sides so that will help.

Last edited by magnetman; 03-20-2011 at 03:07 PM..
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #2790
Tinga
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
How about an angle grinder with a wire cup wheel,
take some hose clamps and strap the handle on the grinder to the end of a 6 or 8 ft pole either wood or steel

How bad is the rust in there?

edit: how about a cheap sandblast unit from Harbor Freight, would be good to have around for tons of stuff
The rust is minimal.. Where the paint has flaked off and the surface has rusted from ambient moisture. It's all enclosed.

Harbor Freight...we're lucky enough to NOT have one in our town LOL.
We'll probably end up using chassis saver in there. Seems like CS is a bit more "forgiving" in the prep work than the liner.

I'll definitely post pictars up when we start on this, hell maybe tomorrow I'l have won the whole damn kit AND some CS.. never know LOL
__________________
Girls like STROKIN too!
[COLOR="Magenta"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/1971-jeepster-commando-1380633/[/COLOR]
Tinga is offline   Reply With Quote



Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.