Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 178 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #2656
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
^This is what I was trying to get to with the who 7/8th on the can. Basically, if you want to mix 16 Oz. of liner, it takes 14oz of black stuff and a shot of catalyst (volume... weight will not work unless you know those numbers which just sucks compered to busting out some measuring cups).
Weight is always more accurate if you have a scale. The margin of error will be greater mixing by volume and it gets worse as yo try to mix less.

Best way by volume for small amounts, is to forget the paint mix cups. Get a small stainless measuring scoop or the small plastic 1 or 2 oz cups they give with butter or stuff for take out foods.

You them measure 7 tiny cups or scoops topped off of liner to 1 of catalyst

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #2657
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those fancy little measuring cups are also pretty cheap so you don't have to worry about destroying them. I am only saying it is more accurate to measure by volume because people can overlook the difference in density. We need 16oz of gas and 16oz of water. Just because we measure 16oz of water and then measure the gas (both by weight using the same weight) doesn't mean you will end up with equal volumes.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #2658
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Those fancy little measuring cups are also pretty cheap so you don't have to worry about destroying them. I am only saying it is more accurate to measure by volume because people can overlook the difference in density. We need 16oz of gas and 16oz of water. Just because we measure 16oz of water and then measure the gas (both by weight using the same weight) doesn't mean you will end up with equal volumes.
Correct. Everything we do in manufacturing is calculated by weight and everything has diff density. 2 full to the top cups of different liquids have the same volume but will weigh diff amts.
But, everything viscous that gets shaken or stirred will have air in it which changes the volume where the weight stays the same.

There is never an inaccuracy when measuring by weight as long as you know the correct weights, weight per gallon, density or specific gravity.

I don't like an 8 oz mix cup to measure 1 ounce where you have to eyeball the line. It is easier for the layman to count 7 small cups and 1 small cup completely full to the top and then scrape them empty.
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #2659
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
It's a 7 to 1 mix ratio by volume. If you have dealt in drugs in the past and have an accurate scale I will be happy to provide mix ratio by weight as well.

Just kidding. Is that what you were looking for?
that is exactly what i was looking for. knowing that i can make my own set of measuring devices (altered steel measuring cups most likely). i will more than likely use a double 1-7 batch for my smallest measurement. that's an even 1/4 cup catalyst and 1-3/4 cup liner. great size for things like my dash plate, pedal rack, battery tray, headlight buckets, seat mounting rails... you get the point.

will the color liner be the same ratio?

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #2660
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
that is exactly what i was looking for. knowing that i can make my own set of measuring devices (altered steel measuring cups most likely). i will more than likely use a double 1-7 batch for my smallest measurement. that's an even 1/4 cup catalyst and 1-3/4 cup liner. great size for things like my dash plate, pedal rack, battery tray, headlight buckets, seat mounting rails... you get the point.

will the color liner be the same ratio?
I think so on the colors mix ratio. We're working out some details now regarding whether we are going to supply the color already mixed into the gallons or in a separate can which will make the system 3 parts.

The color can always be mixed in by the end user and then left alone without catalyzing. So in your case you would premix color in gallon and then use as needed mixing small amts with catalyst.
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #2661
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

well this may just be a suggestion from a layperson as far as marketing goes but....

why not just add the tint to your shelves in the proper size cans for the gallon and quart sized cans of monstaliner?
that way you have no further manufacturing lanes to setup, no added process of premixing the tint into the part a, no worries about increasing inventory due to the myriad of colors all needing inventoried, basically no new overhead from the tints other than just making and canning it up.

if a person is savy enough to want to use a product like monstaliner then they will be intelligent enough to do one extra step in their mixing process. besides it allows us to make our own custom colors!!

you win by saving money in the manufacturing end, we save money as a trickle down, and say someone wants to customize their 2 gal kit. they might want to keep the interior black (1gal)and get tint for their fenders,hood, custom bumpers (2nd gal)...

with a little web engineering you can easily adjust your page to allow the selection of a tint with a 1 or 2 gal kits with the amount of tints desired by the customer. the gallons and quarts could be the same way, you could also put it in the monstaliner section as it's own product so the customer could simply buy the appropriate amount for a gallon or quart alone. that would facilitate partial mixing if desired by the customer. only down fall i see in order would be the inability to re-create a color exactly due to manufacturing inconsistencies or user not getting the exact amount of tint from the container each time(not a big issue for me but others might not see it that way).

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 03-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #2662
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
well this may just be a suggestion from a layperson as far as marketing goes but....

why not just add the tint to your shelves in the proper size cans for the gallon and quart sized cans of monstaliner?
that way you have no further manufacturing lanes to setup, no added process of premixing the tint into the part a, no worries about increasing inventory due to the myriad of colors all needing inventoried, basically no new overhead from the tints other than just making and canning it up.

if a person is savy enough to want to use a product like monstaliner then they will be intelligent enough to do one extra step in their mixing process. besides it allows us to make our own custom colors!!

you win by saving money in the manufacturing end, we save money as a trickle down, and say someone wants to customize their 2 gal kit. they might want to keep the interior black (1gal)and get tint for their fenders,hood, custom bumpers (2nd gal)...

with a little web engineering you can easily adjust your page to allow the selection of a tint with a 1 or 2 gal kits with the amount of tints desired by the customer. the gallons and quarts could be the same way, you could also put it in the monstaliner section as it's own product so the customer could simply buy the appropriate amount for a gallon or quart alone. that would facilitate partial mixing if desired by the customer. only down fall i see in order would be the inability to re-create a color exactly due to manufacturing inconsistencies or user not getting the exact amount of tint from the container each time(not a big issue for me but others might not see it that way).
This is exactly the way I am thinking. As with all paint lines there will be the most popular colors and these we will probably make a factory pack. Based on all the requests so far we may be able to move 200 gallons of OD green in the first few months. White will likely be a factory pack as well because you can tint light colors from that. And then the Jeep colors. Everything we decide to do will be based on demand over time.

When you tint from a base, there is only so much liquid color you can add before you start to mess up the chemistry. Also, some colors won't cover as well when tinted from a base and this issue does not exist when made from scratch where we grind dry pigments in production.

There's a lot of possibilities with this down the line. I just want to get everyone who is waiting set up and then we'll see what the demands are.

I appreciate the input!
Unread 03-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #2663
Madrocs
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is exactly the way I am thinking. As with all paint lines there will be the most popular colors and these we will probably make a factory pack. Based on all the requests so far we may be able to move 200 gallons of OD green in the first few months. White will likely be a factory pack as well because you can tint light colors from that. And then the Jeep colors. Everything we decide to do will be based on demand over time.

When you tint from a base, there is only so much liquid color you can add before you start to mess up the chemistry. Also, some colors won't cover as well when tinted from a base and this issue does not exist when made from scratch where we grind dry pigments in production.

There's a lot of possibilities with this down the line. I just want to get everyone who is waiting set up and then we'll see what the demands are.

I appreciate the input!
Dang Mike, your all about this and have a brain in marketing Your wife way under rates you, shoot her with a paintball made of monsterliner, hehe.

I know I need atleast 2 gals of it, thought I wanted all black, then thinking about how much I like the blue of my 04 TJ. I will probly stick with black though, even though I think a blue and florecent green or orange combo would look sick
Madrocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #2664
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

madrocks,
178 pages of this thread and i came in around 65 i'm gonna guess. i have both rolled and sprayed this stuff (i like the results better spraying) and there is nothing other than monstaliner and chassis saver ever to touch my yj again. i am waiting for the sample back from a co-worker and i'll show it to ya. i can help you spray your top when you are ready.

magnetman,
i know the tints have given you a fit for the last year, we are all so excited to be getting colors soon.
how much tint is there per gallon?
what form is the tint? liquid, powder, gel like the part b, or is it a mixture of magic and one of the previous? i'm horrible at magic.
you mentioned having a base color for mixing. would the tint-able liner be different from the regular black you sell now?
if you do the tints as a separate entity the color options would be able to be near endless for the end user.
what would the odds be of a guide to making custom colors being added to your site?

Unread 03-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #2665
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
madrocks,
178 pages of this thread and i came in around 65 i'm gonna guess. i have both rolled and sprayed this stuff (i like the results better spraying) and there is nothing other than monstaliner and chassis saver ever to touch my yj again. i am waiting for the sample back from a co-worker and i'll show it to ya. i can help you spray your top when you are ready.

magnetman,
i know the tints have given you a fit for the last year, we are all so excited to be getting colors soon.
how much tint is there per gallon?
what form is the tint? liquid, powder, gel like the part b, or is it a mixture of magic and one of the previous? i'm horrible at magic.
you mentioned having a base color for mixing. would the tint-able liner be different from the regular black you sell now?
if you do the tints as a separate entity the color options would be able to be near endless for the end user.
what would the odds be of a guide to making custom colors being added to your site?
The tints are liquid, not too thick and up to 8 ounces get added per gallon. Viscosity of the tints vary depending on what color it is

Yes the tintable formula is very different. We removed the black pigment and had to shift around some other pigment that was dark in color to replace with a neutral pigment that would allow clean colors to be made.

This is exactly the same concept as you buying any paint in a store and they would shoot color in the gallon and you walk out with what you want.

Problem with Monstaliner is that it's sensitive to moisture and all pigments contain moisture. We have to use a moisture scavenger to "dry" the liquid colors before they can be added to the tint base.

A mixing guide would be possible but it would take time to develop and then we would have to sell a kit with multiple colors so the end user can mix what they wanted.
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #2666
motown2
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The tints are liquid, not too thick and up to 8 ounces get added per gallon. Viscosity of the tints vary depending on what color it is

Yes the tintable formula is very different. We removed the black pigment and had to shift around some other pigment that was dark in color to replace with a neutral pigment that would allow clean colors to be made.

This is exactly the same concept as you buying any paint in a store and they would shoot color in the gallon and you walk out with what you want.

Problem with Monstaliner is that it's sensitive to moisture and all pigments contain moisture. We have to use a moisture scavenger to "dry" the liquid colors before they can be added to the tint base.

A mixing guide would be possible but it would take time to develop and then we would have to sell a kit with multiple colors so the end user can mix what they wanted.
GOOD TO SEE YOU GUYS ARE MAKING PROGRESS.
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #2667
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motown2 View Post
GOOD TO SEE YOU GUYS ARE MAKING PROGRESS.
Hello Chris

Your photo will be seen soon!
Unread 03-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #2668
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

awesome sauce! i can't wait for them to hit the shelves.

Unread 03-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #2669
Vigher
2011 JK Wrangler 

BTW if anyone is on the fence about using Monstaliner, I just got done using in my Jeep about 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier with the final outcome! Time and money definately well spent.

Vigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #2670
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigher View Post
BTW if anyone is on the fence about using Monstaliner, I just got done using in my Jeep about 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier with the final outcome! Time and money definately well spent.

Nice job! And thanks for the vote of confidence!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.