Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 151 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #2251
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Are your fenders new bare metal?
Yup! Don't forget the two-part primer!!!

And if you need to know exactly what I used, I can check my cans later. But I think I already posted up the exact names of the products in an earlier post.

DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #2252
craigbru
Jeep to the Core

2007 WK 

Quote:
Are your fenders new bare metal?
Yes, they currently are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
Yup! Don't forget the two-part primer!!!

And if you need to know exactly what I used, I can check my cans later. But I think I already posted up the exact names of the products in an earlier post.
That would be great info to have if you get the chance.
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #2253
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelow1ton View Post
magnetman any updates on color yet?
I'm in the mad scientist lab as I type.
Trying to get this done this week I hope.
I may sleep here tonight
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #2254
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop02x View Post
Just ordered! Now its time to finish getting the Jeep ready!
Got it, thanks!

It shipped today.
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #2255
RedlegWJ
1999 WJ 

My UPS guy finally showed up yesterday. Got the Halloween Sale. In the middle of an engine swap now, and the warm weather may stick around long enough for my day off Friday to get the engine bay protected. Can't wait.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #2256
onelow1ton
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
I'm in the mad scientist lab as I type.
Trying to get this done this week I hope.
I may sleep here tonight
dont kill your self bro
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #2257
k9cop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quick question. Don't really have the funds right before Christmas to purchase the Monstaliner Kit, so can I go ahead and put down some Por15 now then wait until spring to put down the Monsta? Or for that matter can I put down the Duplicolor cheapo bedliner now then Monsta in spring? Mainly just want to do it in my front floor pans, because they look terrible.

Thanks
k9cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #2258
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cop View Post
Quick question. Don't really have the funds right before Christmas to purchase the Monstaliner Kit, so can I go ahead and put down some Por15 now then wait until spring to put down the Monsta? Or for that matter can I put down the Duplicolor cheapo bedliner now then Monsta in spring? Mainly just want to do it in my front floor pans, because they look terrible.

Thanks
I'd get the chassis saver personally and pass on the bedliner. It'll just mean more work for you later before you prep for that Monsta.

And if you HAD to just lay down the Chassis saver/Por15, I don't really see a problem with that.( Just me)
The chassis saver is some seriously stout stuff. I'm guessing you'd just have to clean it and scuff it like normal before you plan on doing the liner.
Unread 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #2259
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbru View Post
Yes, they currently are.

That would be great info to have if you get the chance.
Go to O'Reillys and ask for quart size cans of Nason Ful-Poxy Epoxy Metal Primer 491-16 and Nason Catalyst 483-19. Mix them at a 1:1 ratio. I just used mason jars. Those quart size cans will go a long way. I did my whole fender project plus my experiments and I think I used less than 25%.
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #2260
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
I'd get the chassis saver personally and pass on the bedliner. It'll just mean more work for you later before you prep for that Monsta.

And if you HAD to just lay down the Chassis saver/Por15, I don't really see a problem with that.( Just me)
The chassis saver is some seriously stout stuff. I'm guessing you'd just have to clean it and scuff it like normal before you plan on doing the liner.
a very big X2 here.

i agree with tinga. i coated my entire frame from engine back, underside, and inside of my tub with one quart of chassis saver sprayed on! it is tough and monstaliner is designed to be painted over it anyway. chassis saver is cheaper and easier to use than por, to me it would be the clear choice.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #2261
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
a very big X2 here.

i agree with tinga. i coated my entire frame from engine back, underside, and inside of my tub with one quart of chassis saver sprayed on! it is tough and monstaliner is designed to be painted over it anyway. chassis saver is cheaper and easier to use than por, to me it would be the clear choice.
X 3!

If it were me, I would completely hang tight for the time being and save until I had enough. If you put some el-cheapo bed liner in now, it will be 2-3 times more work. Why go out and buy POR-15 when in the event you follow through with MONSTALINER, you will be getting a superior product (from what I have gathered through 150 pgs of this thread and other threads in their entirety) for free. That "X" amount of dollars (POR-15 is pretty expensive) you spent on POR-15 has essentially been wasted.

Again, I would just be patient and wait until you get enough saved. That way the money is well spent and not wasted, thus allowing more money to be allocated to other mods! The time it takes to save the money for the MONSTALINER will not be enough to make a difference in whether or not your floor pans fall through (relatively speaking of course).

I know things get tight around the holidays but you can make that work to your advantage. I typically have an idea of how much I am going to spend on each person (various amounts depending on who it is) and I am sure I am not the only one. If you are one of those people, then cut the amount of money for each person by $5-$10 or however you would like. It starts to add up pretty quick if you have several people to buy gifts for! After that, take any money or visa gift cards you get and any money you have saved up for the liner and buy the liner for a xmas gift from you to you!

There's nothing wrong with being a little selfish. Especially if your like me and tend to get dress shirts and ties for xmas every year! Nothing like opening the box and thinking "Wow! I have something else to wear to work! Awesome!" However, I am very grateful for the shirts and ties I get...but there is always room for improvement!
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #2262
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

OK I have a question...I am going to be getting a nearly rust free YJ frame sandblasted early next week. Would chassis saver be able to be applied to the bare frame or do I need to Prime / prep the frame? If so what should I use? I was looking at other types of coatings but this sounds real good.
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #2263
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure Chassis saver can be applied over bare metal. Don't quote me though :P, I haven't read the directions in a while but I remember I sanded my floorboards down, MEK'd them, and applied the chassis saver on bare metal.
Unread 11-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #2264
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims-87YJ View Post
OK I have a question...I am going to be getting a nearly rust free YJ frame sandblasted early next week. Would chassis saver be able to be applied to the bare frame or do I need to Prime / prep the frame? If so what should I use? I was looking at other types of coatings but this sounds real good.
Chassis Saver must have a rough surface to stick to. So the choices to create the roughness are:

1) Tightly adhearing rust that has been wire brushed and/or scraped well to remove all loose material.

2) Mechanical roughening (by hand or power tool) to create a well scratched bare metal surface. 60 to 80 grit aluminum oxide
sandpaper works best here. Note: Wire wheel brushing does not roughen metal. You must scratch the surface well with an abrasive material.

3) Sandblasting to a medium/coarse profile using industrial grade angular blast media.
NO walnut shells, NO glass beads, NO media blasting of any kind.

In a situation where you can't roughen a smooth metal surface, 2 part automotive epoxy primer is the best choice.
Epoxy primer does not need sanding before applying Chassis Saver but you must follow the manufacturers directions for the recoat window.
Most epoxy primers can be recoated as soon as they are fingernail hard. If left too long, topcoat adhesion could be compromised.
48 hours max is likely the right thing but do read the directions since each product varies.

If ever you have previous paint on isolated spots when you are coating with Chassis Saver you can coat over them.
Just scuff sand well to remove all remaining gloss of the old coating.

The only other thing that can mess up a Chassis Saver project is grease or oils on the surface. A good commercial water base
degreaser can be used (Simple Green or Zep). Allow all surfaces to dry thoroughly before coating.

And lastly, Never use Lacquer Thinner to wipe surfaces prior to coating with Chassis Saver. Acetone, MEK or our S8 Reducer works well.
Lacquer thinners are blends of solvents and typically contain high levels of moisture. I have seen Lac thinner create all
kinds of wierd problems with Chassis Saver so avoid it like the plague.

Also if spraying Chassis Saver and your spray equipment has been previously been cleaned with Lacquer thinner, you must flush
the system well with another solvent before loading it up with Chassis Saver. Same solvents apply as above.
Unread 11-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #2265
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
Go to O'Reillys and ask for quart size cans of Nason Ful-Poxy Epoxy Metal Primer 491-16 and Nason Catalyst 483-19. Mix them at a 1:1 ratio. I just used mason jars. Those quart size cans will go a long way. I did my whole fender project plus my experiments and I think I used less than 25%.
What did those 2 quarts cost you?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.