Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 141 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #2101
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

CPT Jeep

Many thanks for your hard work and evaluation.
You have qualified to receive all my help and more free Monstaliner to complete your fender project.

Regards
MagnetMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
FINAL RESULTS AND OPINIONS. I am attaching the final picture without reducing the size.

Now that everything is dry, I'll rank the application methods from worst to best.

5. Lambs Wool (2nd from left) - Horrible texture. Clumpy. Lots of bubbles. Would never consider again.
4. Regular Hair Paint Brush (far right) - Distinct lines. Moderate bubbles. Would only use for hard to reach places that required a thin coat but would never be seen.
3. Hard Foam Roller (far left) - This actually came out really good, better than I thought after initial application. There was just enough texture that the bubbles weren't too distracting while still being somewhat smooth-ish. However, bubbles were light to moderate. Hard call if this was 2nd or 3rd place.
2. Foam Brush (4th from left) - Really good looking finish if it wasn't for the bubbles. It was easy to blend the brush strokes and this would be a great method but the flat surface makes the light to moderate bubbles really stand out.
1. Monstaliner supplied Blue Roller (middle) - With the reducer added, this is almost exactly the texture I was looking for. A bit smoother than the supplied promo block with minimal bubbles.

Other notes:
-I applied this to a very thin flexable panel. I expected it to stiffen the panel up considerably after application, but it is still very flexy. I think it would crack if I really flexed it, but it is still very pliable 24 hours after application.
-This is a very matte black finish. My personal preference is for something with a little more gloss to it. Maybe I'll experiment with the other mini-kit to try to achieve the gloss finish I'm after using th techniques suggested above.

magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #2102
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

The texture that the supplied roller made is what I am looking for. I'm going to experiment with different spraying methods to see what results come of it when I receive my Monstaliner. If I can't get the results I want from spraying I'll roll the entire Jeep. I hope the red is available soon but I could use the black now on some parts. Wonder how aluminum wheels would look sprayed with the black Monstaliner.. hmm might have to try it out and see.
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #2103
FamillyCJ7
1983 CJ7 

I have found this on ebay. It has a 1/4 nozzle and two 32oz plastic bottles for 34.95 and free shipping. Here is the link

I looked up the Maker and model number and found the gun by itself which is Astro 4538 on google and the gun itself can be had for $8 by itself which was on amazon I believe.

Would something like this work good for spraying the Monstaliner?
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #2104
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

has anyone tried laying it down on fiberglass yet?
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #2105
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'll buy the full kit soon enough. I'm going to use the back of the panel to experiment with glossy-ness. Maybe this weekend, when I have the time to lay the primer and then wait 5 hours to apply the liner.

It was a fun project and so much easier than rattlecan primer & paint.
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #2106
XJelvis
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcranger View Post
I applied it on some fiberglass patches a month ago and it's holding fine. Used Chassis Saver first though.

Not sure what would happen on an entire fiberglass tub.
XJelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #2107
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
MagnetMan did a rat truck project:

Here: Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #2108
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm playing with the second mini-kit. I'm trying to work on gloss and my technique for applying it to my fenders.

I primered at lunch (so easy with the 2 part epoxy primer). I waited about 6.5 hrs and then mixed about half-a-can of liner, half-a-can of catalyst and a capful of reducer (1 cap is about 1/2 a can of catalyst). I know it's pretty half *** measuring, but I'm just playing at this point.

I sectioned the back of the panel in 4 pieces. Here is my plan:

1. I applied the reduced mix with the blue roller, with normal coverage. Pretty much how I assume everyone would roll it out. I'll go back over it with the blue roller using unreduced liner.
2. I tried to use the foam brush and get the liner as SMOOTH as possible. I tried all sorts of brush strokes, but kept getting bubbles. I got the least amount of bubbles by going really thick. We'll see how that works out.
3. I applied reducer liner with the foam brush really thin. I plan go go back over that section with the blue roller and unreduced mix. This is the panel I'm most interested in for results.
4. Initially untouched. I'll go over this section with blue roller and unreduced liner just to see what happens with one coat of un-reduced.

Gonna be a late night. pictures will probably wait till morning. Waiting for payday for my full kit.
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #2109
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Fiberglass is polyester resin with glass cloth in it where gel coat is the same resin without the glass cloth.

Fiberglass is not like plastic. As long as fiberglass is first solvent cleaned to remove wax & grease and then sanded
to lightly powder the surface and remove all gloss, coatings will stick without any special primers.
Just need to remove sanding dust before coating.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #2110
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm posting this picture tonight so I don't have to remember what I did on each panel tomorrow. But I did learn from my previous test that the texture can noticably change overnight.

And my camera CAN NOT do any of this justice. I'll try to remember to get pictures in full daylight later.

Top Left - Heavy layer with foam brush, one coat. I think it was easier to hide the brush lines with a thinner coat. Bubbles are pretty consistant on both.
Top Right - First layer was blue roller, normal application and thickness using about 10%-15% reduction (I just SWAG'd it). Second coat was blue roller, normal application with no reduction used in the mix. Texture is hard to describe. Imagine waves of different amplitude all mixing together. Some peaks were really high and some valleys were really low. I actually didn't care for this texture as it appplies to my future fender project because of the inconsistant texture. But would provide a lot of texture for a tub.
Bottom Left - First coat was liner with reducer laid down with a foam brush in a thin coat. Second coat was blue roller with no reducer laid down with a normal coat. Texture was even and consistant.
Bottom Right - One coat, using blue roller and liner with no reducer. I had to lay it down pretty thin because I was running out. Texture was even and consistant and I think this might be the application method I use for fenders. It was the easiest, quickest and used the least amount of material. I'll know more after it sets up for a while.
100_1293.jpg  
Unread 10-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #2111
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I took a quick look this morning. The bottom right panel (blue roller, 1 thin coat) didn't come out that well. There were some small areas I missed that I didn't see when applying. It's also very "matte", as Magnetman said it would be on a first coat.

The bottom left panel (1 coat foam brush, 1 coat blue roller) was the best panel so far. Even texture and the second coat did actually turn out glossier. Now, that's glossy-ER, not exactly glossy. But there is a noticable difference.

So for my purposes, I'm looking at applying 2 coats in order to achieve the gloss I'm looking for. The first coat will be laid down with a foam brush. But I am a little stumped about the second coat. I don't know if I should use the blue roller or do another coat with the foam brush.

I think I read that you have to apply a second coat within 36 hours. What happens if you try to add a layer after that? I ask because I would like to put down 2 (thin-ish) coats with the foam brush and see how I like it. Then if I changed my mind and wanted to add texture later, I could just pull it apart and add another coat with the blue roller. There's no going back after the texture is laid on.
Unread 10-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #2112
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Jeep View Post
I took a quick look this morning. The bottom right panel (blue roller, 1 thin coat) didn't come out that well. There were some small areas I missed that I didn't see when applying. It's also very "matte", as Magnetman said it would be on a first coat.

The bottom left panel (1 coat foam brush, 1 coat blue roller) was the best panel so far. Even texture and the second coat did actually turn out glossier. Now, that's glossy-ER, not exactly glossy. But there is a noticable difference.

So for my purposes, I'm looking at applying 2 coats in order to achieve the gloss I'm looking for. The first coat will be laid down with a foam brush. But I am a little stumped about the second coat. I don't know if I should use the blue roller or do another coat with the foam brush.

I think I read that you have to apply a second coat within 36 hours. What happens if you try to add a layer after that? I ask because I would like to put down 2 (thin-ish) coats with the foam brush and see how I like it. Then if I changed my mind and wanted to add texture later, I could just pull it apart and add another coat with the blue roller. There's no going back after the texture is laid on.

After that you need to prep again, M.E.K., sand, M.E.K. again, coat.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #2113
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
After that you need to prep again, M.E.K., sand, M.E.K. again, coat.
If that's true, then I'm going to try a smooth finish. I don't think the bubbles will bother me. I just have to be careful with the brush strokes. If I don't like it, it will be relatively easy to sand/scuff a flat surface.

I also just ordered my 1 gallon kit! I wonder if it will be enough to do all my fenders and UCF skid plate with 2 coats, and my front grill with one coat. Maybe if I only coat the inner engine compartment areas with one coat... I'm going to owe pictures to this thread as well as the Metalcloak thread.
Unread 10-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #2114
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can't wait to see it go on for you, and see the fenders on your Jeep. What are your plans for it?
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #2115
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

here's a few pics from my build page.

full underside with a thin coat of chassis saver under 2 coats sprayed on MONSTALINER. maybe it was my shutz gun but i had to thin it ALOT to get it to move through the gun at 60psi! after a good thinning i had great results at 45psi.

firewall with same treatment.

rear frame with 2 coats chassis saver, 2 coats rolled on main frame surface, and 2 coats sprayed on in those hard to reach places. and yes that's a 5.2 sitting there all pretty like.

for those spraying this stuff it goes ALOT further than rolled on in one coat. but after 2 coats sprayed i think it's thinner than what 2 coats rolled would be. with all that i have in the pics done i still have about 1/4 of a gallon left. after rolling the frame i thinned the remainder of the gallon thinking i would use it all on the body and the hard to reach parts of the frame. after finishing i found there was still about a quart left. i did a float and hopefully it will keep till tomorrow afternoon. i plan on taking on a few trouble spots on the inside of the tub to get them sealed up until the COLORS come available.

here's a few pics of the troubled inner tub.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.