Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 109 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #1621
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so a light sanding with a quick MEK wipe? I can handle that.

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #1622
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
I didn't get any stickers.

I DID get my touch-up kit yesterday though!!!! Gonna fix some problems I had due to MY inattention to detail in a couple of places. The kit had the liner, a small bit of catalyst in a container that appears to be one that was once used to hold old elementary school film strips (for those that remember those). PERFECT! It also had a small textured roller and a cool textured sponge which will be my preferred way of applying it. It should give me identical texture to what I have now.

One question: Do I need to scuff the area I'm touching up or apply any MEK to clean it up?
Not only do I remember filmstrips, my dad actually had a filmstrip projector. I used to go to the library and check out filmstrips, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world back then, lol.
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #1623
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
so a light sanding with a quick MEK wipe? I can handle that.
absolutely, I agree with Luckrider there.
Unread 06-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #1624
slafferty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

anyonetry this on their tube fenders? How resistant to rock chips is it? I'd like to put some on outer edge of my tube fenders but afraid it would look to thick or chip.
'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #1625
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Once fully cured, I fully confident that they would resist chipping as well or better than any other DIY liner, and possibly as well or almost as well as Rhino (LineX is better than Rhino imho, and it would have to be stronger than Rhino to be as strong as LineX).

There was someone who lined his grill, and I lined the rear bumper on the last Jeep. I intentionally slammed it into rocks to see if I could get it to chip and I got nada.

Totally unrelated, but the Jeep now has the second coat on, and it is looking good. I couldn't find my camera, so there weren't any before/during pics. I went to home depot and bought a 1 quart can before we started and packed that away. I was left with about 1/2 a tray and a very small pool at the bottom of the can. Highly recommended when doing just the tub. Just don't forget to only use 3/4 of the catalyst when mixing or you won't have any for the quart later. I put down a piece of saran wrap between the can and the lid for both the liner and the catalyst.

Another unrelated thing... I had the can sitting in my garage for about 7 of the 12 month shelf life. The liner sort of separated, and it was thicker on the bottom than it was on the top. When I opened it, the can was also under a bit of pressure (the bottom was bowed so the can didn't sit flat, and the lid was puffed up). I had no issues when opening the can, but if you let it sit that long, just open it slowly.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #1626
Netrix
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
That's just a lot of work. What about a heat gun?
I know some stuff like that you can use dry ice + hammer. Might get pricey if it's a large area.
Netrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 06:34 AM   #1627
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I applied the 'touch up kit' this weekend and I'm MUCHO happy. The weather conditions were a LOT hotter and the texture is slightly different, but I'm still happy. You have to know where to look to see where it was.

Great little kit to fix those mess ups during installation.

The kit:

Container of liner
Small container of catalyst
textured sponge
textured roller

I ended up using the sponge. I pitched the roller from the install so that didn't help a whole lot. Should have kept it. Oh well. The sponge met my needs well and fit in the can nicely so I could dab it on.

Here's the item that needed patching. After sanding and before wiping with MEK:

About an inch and a half gash from when I used a straight edge to get up some sticky tape from the plastic lip guards I took off. For whatever reason, I didn't wipe down this area well enough or the cut was so clean, the paint that cut undercut by the edge didn't lift up. Well it lifted when I drove it after a week. Paint came off WITH the liner. Dangit.

As you can see, I scuffed it up a bit then cleaned it with MEK.

Then I applied to that area and a bit on either side to blend it better. Right after application:

After a few hours:

It was probably 98 degrees in my garage with high humidity so I'm sure this is curing quickly. But I'm still letting it sit a few days before driving it again. I went ahead and added a bit more along the rail after cleaning more to add some thickness to the driver side. Since I'm always hopping in and out while on the trails, I figured a bit thicker application there made some sense. But it came out REALLY nice.

I also found a chip from where I had a wooden deck cover installed during the jamboree. I don't think it was secured as tightly as I normally secure it so it had room to bounce and move.

I applied some patch to that area as well. I didn't think it'd come off, but that wooden deck got it. I've been rethinking my rear deck anyway, so I doubt it'll be going back on for this to happen again.

After the first coating on the driver side fender well.
Green Jeep Member #155

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.

Last edited by erickpl; 06-14-2010 at 06:57 AM..
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:56 AM   #1628
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That matched welll Paul. Get some more pics in a couple of weeks so we can see if the color changed a little after fully curing.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #1629
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

where do you get the touch up kit?
cadeucsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #1630
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
That matched welll Paul. Get some more pics in a couple of weeks so we can see if the color changed a little after fully curing.
I looked at it a bit this morning and the color is blending VERY well so far. The new stuff is still a bit shinier and the older stuff could probably use another bath (it's been dusty lately), but I figure by the end of the week, we'll know.

I'll post up pics outside w/o the flash when I shoot them so you can get a good feel for any color variances.

I got the kit from Magnetman.
Green Jeep Member #155

Unread 06-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #1631
chrisoncoffee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm new to the forum but the monstaliner threads have piqued my interest. Any updates on when we'll see the grey color?
chrisoncoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #1632
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Haha just put on some Herculiner and give it a week in the sun
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #1633
chrisoncoffee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ha. that bad, huh?
chrisoncoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #1634
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Herc, not THAT bad, but it will change pretty quickly. The worst part is that it will not even match to itself.
Unread 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #1635
StoopidOme

magnetman, i have an unrelated question
i seen on your website for monstaliner, that the name of the company is magnet paints and shellac co, inc... so i thought you might know the answer...
is shellac made from bug guts?
i know you're a busy man but i heard this about 25 years ago and have yet, been able to get this confirmed
StoopidOme is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.