Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Introducing MONSTALINER� UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

2M views 14K replies 1K participants last post by  HandOverFist 
#1 ·
Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Hi All,

We are a new advertiser on jeepforum.com and I just want to introduce myself, our company and a very interesting new product.

My name is Eric and I have 25+ years experience in coatings manufacturing.
Our company Magnet Paints, is focused on industrial maintenance and commercial fleet refinish coatings,
epoxy and urethane concrete floor coatings and automotive restoration paints.

We are also the manufacturers of Chassis Saver™ Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Underbody Coating.
Chassis Saver is a high performance alternate to POR-15 at 45% lower cost.

For the past 5 years, our lab has been developing and fine tuning a roll on bed liner product.
The product has evolved through 3 generations of testing, development and field trials and has just been
commercialized and is available for sale.

I have personally been involved with installations on more than 20 vehicles in the last 4 years in which
my feedback and experience alone was the determining factor that the product was complete and ready for release.

Monstaliner started as a pet project. One of our employees had used a widely popular DIY bed liner on his
personal truck and was not so pleased with the outcome. He came into work one day with a mission and
for almost a year, he kept badgering the chemists in our lab to develop a better product.

One day after getting tired of listening to this guy rant, we sat down and mapped out what a
new generation do-it-yourself bed liner would have to offer to be successful. A first, we just toyed with the
project but we knew that a much better product was possible compared to those already on the market.

So here we are, very proud to present:

MONSTALINER™ High Performance DIY Roll On Bed Liner

I don't want to write a book here so I will post the web site link for all who are curious to check this out on their own time.

As an introduction special and for the rest of this month at least,
we are offering free shipping on anything sold on the web site.

Just use Promo Code "FSBL-1" when ordering either online or by phone.

Everyone, anyone... please feel free to ask any questions. I am always available to help.

Best Regards
magnetman
Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner

PS: We are looking for dealers in markets involving Jeep, Truck, 4x4 and Off-Roading.
If anyone with a legit business either online or offline has interest, just get in touch and we can
work with you to make something happen.

Additional links on our main web site
Magnet Paints Manufacturers High Performance Specialty Coatings
Paint Over Rust to Stop Rust Permanently With Chassis Saver Truck & Auto Underbody Coating

See less See more
#5,134 ·
I might stop being lazy and finally use my quart on the rocker guards/panels and rear crossmember. I was going to start this afternoon because with my school schedule I get home early (around 12:30 :2thumbsup: ). But then my parents and I went out to lunch and I about threw up from eating so much, so I then took a nap when I got home. Rough first day of school.

#5,137 ·
Well, I am officially no longer a teenager, and..... I must say, Monstaliner is still an amazing product in my mind. Looks like a change in my age category hasn't changed my view on the stuff.

#5,144 ·
Thanks Magnet. Pics of some white laid down would be sweet.

#5,148 ·
What a day! I ripped my carpet out after a soaking rain yesterday and smelling nasty wet carpet today. I pulled the drain plugs, came inside and ordered the JK drain plugs to replace the metal ones, went back outside ONE MORE TIME to look at the paint chips. I went back and forth on the color: black (which is safe and what the wife suggested) or the other color which I think will look pretty good on a black jeep :shhh:

Came inside, ordered my quadratec floor liners front and back and then placed my monstaorder. :thumbsup:

#5,150 ·
odg!

was it supposed to be a secret?
what a day! I ripped my carpet out after a soaking rain yesterday and smelling nasty wet carpet today. I pulled the drain plugs, came inside and ordered the jk drain plugs to replace the metal ones, went back outside one more time to look at the paint chips. I went back and forth on the color: Black (which is safe and what the wife suggested) or the other color which i think will look pretty good on a black jeep :shhh:

Came inside, ordered my quadratec floor liners front and back and then placed my monstaorder. :thumbsup:

#5,149 ·
magnetman said:
Anyone besides Tiny and TheGame doing a project this weekend?
:rofl:

2x coating, chassis saver

1st coating of monsta

Final shot, taken 15mins ago when I finished.

#5,152 ·
Stripping and prep, last night 11pm till 6am
Chassis saver, 6am. 3hours between coats.
2nd chassis saver to 1st monsta, 5hours
2nd monsta at 9,
3rd at 11,
Random touching up till 12+, 0045 removing tape.

#5,154 ·

Here's a Convo I had with my dad this morning.

Dad:...
dad: so erm how much would it have cost if this was professionally put in?

Me: nervous laugh, for something spray on and if I strip the tub for them. 500ish to a grand.

Him: .........

#5,157 ·
#5,158 ·
hey eric, do you know if anyone has done the "purple people eater" color yet? i haven't seen it on a jeep.

mebbe i will be ze fiiiirst? :D

also, a friend of mine was curious about monstaliner being used as a paint for her car (i wish i were kidding) and was wondering if it had similar rust prevention to chassis saver.

either way, there's probably going to be a good amount of your product coming my way. i have convinced my ex to monstaline her jeep the same time i do mine. hers will be boring black. :rolleyes:

#5,162 ·
Have not sold PPE as of yet so you could be ze fiiiirst :thumbsup:

ML can def be used for a car if she's into a bumpy ride :D
And no, ML is not designed as a rust preventive coating although it will help greatly. It's very different from CS but works well over the CS as long as recoat window recs are followed

#5,160 ·
Just pulled the trigger on white. I knew I was getting the white, but the pictures posted here by Grenagierbeef pushed me over the edge.

One question though. I know that 1 gallon will cover the inside of my YJ. I am swapping my family bar for a blue sport bar this week (I hope the shop can fit me in this week) when I get my seats mounts welded up. My question is, will the gallon of white be enough to cover the inside of the tub and completely cover the blue roll bar? Or should I sand and prime the bar in a lighter color?

Planning on going camping on labor day weekend, so it will probably go in sometime after that.

#5,168 ·
I just put in my Monstaliner today.

It went excellent, one gallon and I've about a fourth or so left. After doing one coat on the side and three coats on the floor.

Fantastic stuff. It's thick, like rolling on tar.

Only issue I had was the stuff starting to dry in the roller pan as I was putting it on, towards the end my tailgate got jacked up with all the little dried paint boogers that crusted on top of the pan getting rolled. Tomorrow I'll sand it lightly and slap a final coat on with some clean stuff.

I did it outside, in about 85 degree weather. So drying quickly is to be expected.

EDIT - I should add that I put this stuff on top of Duplicoat BedLiner that I did three years ago, sprayed in with rattle cans. Zero problems with good prep of flaking up any loose stuff, sanded it lightly as well, and followed the usual cleaning/Acetone prep.

Looking forward to doing my hardtop in a month or two.

#5,171 ·
Man I can't wait till summer is over. Fall will be good this year for liner jobs

If you have mixed material left to use tomorrow just check carefully and remove any skin in can

It will be thick below the skin so just add a little Acetone or MEK and mix well

Got any good pics of the old Duplicolor job before installing ML?

I just put in my Monstaliner today.

It went excellent, one gallon and I've about a fourth or so left. After doing one coat on the side and three coats on the floor.

Fantastic stuff. It's thick, like rolling on tar.

Only issue I had was the stuff starting to dry in the roller pan as I was putting it on, towards the end my tailgate got jacked up with all the little dried paint boogers that crusted on top of the pan getting rolled. Tomorrow I'll sand it lightly and slap a final coat on with some clean stuff.

I did it outside, in about 85 degree weather. So drying quickly is to be expected.

EDIT - I should add that I put this stuff on top of Duplicoat BedLiner that I did three years ago, sprayed in with rattle cans. Zero problems with good prep of flaking up any loose stuff, sanded it lightly as well, and followed the usual cleaning/Acetone prep.

Looking forward to doing my hardtop in a month or two.

#5,175 ·
What a day!

Long day!
Plans didnt quite work out. One of my buddy's needed my help with his '68 Ford Ranger tranny. Look at the size of that monster on the left!

Anyway, the days events..
Set out this morning to start the liner 'round 9am. Actually got started round 1pm after all told. Needless to say, I didnt finish, lol.

So here is what I got..
Following Vincents exterior suggestions with a few things of my own:

Two gallon Monsta Kit.
Chassis Saver.
MEK.
Xylene.
Monsta small roller kit.
2 extra trays.
2 empty paint cans.
12 cone filters.
2 5qt buckets.
2 6" foam cabinet/trim rolls and roller.
Extra paint brush.
Drill /w paint stripper.
Nakita sander.
Filler putty.
Black primer.

Vincents application instructions:
1st step prep the jeep.
For me this was remove everything I could then do a light sanding, any spots I found a little surface rust I sanded all the way down to the metal then coated with CS. Wipe down with MEK to make sure everything is clean and free of dust and wax.

2nd step Mix 1 gallon of the Monsta then pour into the 5qt bucket and add 6oz Xylene mix well then place a filter over a empty can and fill with liner. Will take about 5 minutes to filter thru. When done throw filter away and pour the filtered mix into paint try. Set up the next filter and get it started. While it is filtering start the roll out. By the time you finish with what's in the tray the next batch will be ready. Keep going until you finish the first coat.

Now the hard part, when rolling it on uses only the foam rollers and roll very thin coats.
Once you start don't stop if you stop then start over try and do it at a seam, or you will be able to see roller marks. Do small areas at a time, roll it on with a lot of pressure then go back over lightly to remove any marks, once you have finished a area do not go back over it again until ready for the next coat. It helps if you have someone to help refill your tray and filter the mix so you can keep rolling. Change trays and roller each coat. If you get anything on the jeep it's very hard to fix after.

Also I found the rollers started to separate from there cardboard backs after the first coat but the foam is fine. For me it was in the low 90's with low humidity and I found by the time I was done with a coat it was dry and ready for the next. So I did 2 coats, took about a 30 minute break then mixed the second can and did the last 2. With 4 coats I would say it's about 75% the thickness of a normal roll-out, but since it's not going to be walked on, stuff dragged over it extra I think it will work great and last a long time. Plus if at some point in time it needs a touch up I can get a 1qt and just do a spot fix or get 1 gallon and do 2 more coats.

3rd wait until the Monsta is tacky then roll the second coat

4th mix the second gallon and do the 3rd and 4th coats and you're done.

Thx V!
Off we go!
Going to use one gallon to see how far it'll go. I still have another, but Im thinking its going to take a third, and maybe 4gal. Lot of area to cover. Going to apply a few thin coats.
Before:

Removed the hood, fenders, grill, and the rubber trim over the door roller tracts. Also took off the turn signals on the fenders and the fender reflectors. I had holes cut into the fenders last week to mount side turn signals, and the ones that were there will be mounted on the front bumper.

Notice the right headlight. Screws are stripping. Decided to leave them in and tape. I bent the housing in with more than enough room to tape it. Darn that stripping and snapping

Sanded everything down and prepped a few areas for a coat of CS. Wiped it down with a dripping wet rag. Poured a bunch of MEK in one of the buckets and wiped all the parts Im going to Monsta with a soaked rag. Then it was time for tape.

I decided to leave the doors mounted.

So there it sits.

So the plan is to get up early and get the Monsta going. It'll have to be early as I have to put this thing back together and get it out of he warehouse before Monday. I also have to be at work by 5am monday, lol. I still have to putty some large holes, but after a second wipe of MEK on the doors and mixing the Monsta/Xylene, I have some time.

Will have more pics tomorrow!

#5,252 ·
My application was in accordance with Murphy's Law.

Pics first, story later!

Too bad its cloudy out today. Although in general, bed liner tends to defuse light, when in direct sun its bright!
Loved how it looked on the way home yesterday.

Only had a few hrs to get it painted and back together. I tried following Vincents instructions, but it obviously didnt work out, lol. It also ended up being really hot and humid yesterday 85F and what felt like 80% humidity Plus, Monsta was skinny {thinned}. Dont get me wrong, Im happy with how it turned out, just wish I could have gotten that same texture as Vincent. However, the rest of it will be a bit easier as all I will have to do is dilute and paint! Despite what I wanted it to look like, it turned out as I was originally though it would when I first had the idea to do the exterior. I also left the path on the instructions, lol. Good enough!

Prep is below.

Step 1. Mix
Blended Monsta with 6-7oz. Xylene in 5qt. bucket.

Step 2. Poured mix through filter into gal. can.
For me, the filter clogged fast. I also poured through two - three filters to tray. Took less than 5min.

Step 3. Coats
Used the foam roller for the first two coats, and Monsta dried FAST(This is a thinner application, so expect with this mix.) Probably messed up here by going too fast. Foam rollers stopped working after second coat, stopped rolling. Swapped out with the Monsta rollers for the next 2 coats. Basically just tried different things using light coats.

Step 4. Texture.
You can have some fun here. If I do this to another vehicle, Ill have some fun! Wth every coat you can change the texture by rolling over Monsta with different pressure. Ask Mag. Tough is to get all the areas in synch.

First coat went on around 9am, fourth went on around 2pm. Tried using the foam rollers, but Monsta was drying so fast they stopped working. Said screw it and switched over to the rollers that came with the kit. As soon s I was done with a coat, the first part was dry enough I couldnt put a finger print in it, so I kept going. 4 thick coats and I still had 1/4 of a gallon left.. Each coat took around 30- 45 min. Then I let it sit for 2hrs.

At 4pm, it was time to put it back together. I do heavy work at my job, so I only have two days to get it done and out. Everything went back fine, including my newly fabricated grill mounts. They still need to be adjusted, but I didnt want to push my luck too much. I did scuff a small area between the hood and the fender, but hey, I have another gallon to finish the rest of it and do touch ups. More than enough.

Only regret at that point was seeing all I had left in the can. Could have done another three coats. Just ran outta time.
Its been 24hrs, and its started to light rain in Seattle. Instructions say to mist it after 18hrs, Mother Nature is splitting the difference.

Next up, getting rid of the rust.
I figure it'll be another few weeks before I can apply he second gallon. There are a few bad spots that might need surgery. Thats ok as this thing is WIP. will update when I start the rest of the body coat!

Mag, two gal makes me happy. Plenty. Thanks!
If you get a chance, post a long brush example. I kinda like the idea of a smooth armor plate!

Long day!
Plans didnt quite work out. One of my buddy's needed my help with his '68 Ford Ranger tranny. Look at the size of that monster on the left!

Anyway, the days events..
Set out this morning to start the liner 'round 9am. Actually got started round 1pm after all told. Needless to say, I didnt finish, lol.

So here is what I got..
Following Vincents exterior suggestions with a few things of my own:

Two gallon Monsta Kit.
Chassis Saver.
MEK.
Xylene.
Monsta small roller kit.
2 extra trays.
2 empty paint cans.
12 cone filters.
2 5qt buckets.
2 6" foam cabinet/trim rolls and roller.
Extra paint brush.
Drill /w paint stripper.
Nakita sander.
Filler putty.
Black primer.

Vincents application instructions:

Off we go!
Going to use one gallon to see how far it'll go. I still have another, but Im thinking its going to take a third, and maybe 4gal. Lot of area to cover. Going to apply a few thin coats.
Before:

Removed the hood, fenders, grill, and the rubber trim over the door roller tracts. Also took off the turn signals on the fenders and the fender reflectors. I had holes cut into the fenders last week to mount side turn signals, and the ones that were there will be mounted on the front bumper.

Notice the right headlight. Screws are stripping. Decided to leave them in and tape. I bent the housing in with more than enough room to tape it. Darn that stripping and snapping

Sanded everything down and prepped a few areas for a coat of CS. Wiped it down with a dripping wet rag. Poured a bunch of MEK in one of the buckets and wiped all the parts Im going to Monsta with a soaked rag. Then it was time for tape.

I decided to leave the doors mounted.

So there it sits.

So the plan is to get up early and get the Monsta going. It'll have to be early as I have to put this thing back together and get it out of he warehouse before Monday. I also have to be at work by 5am monday, lol. I still have to putty some large holes, but after a second wipe of MEK on the doors and mixing the Monsta/Xylene, I have some time.

Will have more pics tomorrow!

#5,179 ·
:cheers:

I was kicking around the idea of painting, or dark tenting the rear windows over a ZOAT decal. After your post I saw The Monsta Beast holding up the emblem, lol.

Love the white.
Mag, hows Monsta work on boats/ fiberglass?
For some reason, I pictured my Dads boat, and a jet ski!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.