Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 106 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #1576
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OKay now hit me with the order on this. Should I:
1. Scuff it all up
2. Use M.E.K.
3. Apply the Chassis saver (to make sure if I missed any rust, the rust will be neutralized)
4. Prime it
5. Then M.E.K. it again?

Also I heard that not only should I prime it, but I should also paint over what I primed as well...

I appreciate all the help. I can't wait to start working on this tonight..

nibblesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #1577
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

NO... Don't prime over the chassis saver.

Try this order,

1. Scuff
2. 2-3 coats of chassis saver
3. First coat of Monstaliner within 24 hours (if not scuff with 120 grit)

If you prime, you need to paint because the Monstaliner can possibly eat through the primer.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #1578
nibblesupreme
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When do I M.E.K. bro??? I don't need to be putting the chassis saver over the whole tub. I assumed just the areas where I took off rust and tore off the paint..
nibblesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #1579
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

MEK after you scuff but before you prime

MEK is to get rid of dirt and oil so that the primer/chasis saver will stick.

So not ALL of your tub will be chassis saver..correct? Just the areas that you had rust previously?

1. Scuff
2. MEK
3. Prime
4. Chassis Saver
5. Monstaliner ( If needed)
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #1580
r.71
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
We're almost there. I'll have an update by Monday.

What's your color?
I'm waiting for the white, thanks!
Unread 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #1581
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibblesupreme View Post
When do I M.E.K. bro??? I don't need to be putting the chassis saver over the whole tub. I assumed just the areas where I took off rust and tore off the paint..
I am sorry, the MEK is for the cleaning after scuffing. It will take up all of the sanding and remove any wax or oils. If you tub is dirty, a quick clean with something like simple green, then a wipe up with MEK before sanding will also make it easier to sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
MEK after you scuff but before you prime

MEK is to get rid of dirt and oil so that the primer/chasis saver will stick.

So not ALL of your tub will be chassis saver..correct? Just the areas that you had rust previously?

1. Scuff
2. MEK
3. Prime
4. Chassis Saver
5. Monstaliner ( If needed)
Why should he be priming? The chassis saver will provide a better base than primer, and that leaves it susceptible to peeling if it eats through the primer.
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #1582
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Oh.. i was under the impression that chassis saver cannot be applied to bare metal. Or was I thinking the liner??
Unread 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #1583
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinga View Post
Oh.. i was under the impression that chassis saver cannot be applied to bare metal. Or was I thinking the liner??
The liner can't. I was reading through the technical info the other day.
Unread 06-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #1584
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
The liner can't. I was reading through the technical info the other day.
Nice call LuckRider. That's why we keep you around, lol.
Unread 06-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #1585
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
No but you need to be very thorough in roughing it up. Much rougher is better than only a little rough. I'm shipping someone else an alternate bare metal primer that does not need a much scuffing to stick to bare metal. Let me know when you get bumpers if you are interested.
Will do. If it keeps me from having to recoat the bumpers down the road, I'd definitely be interested.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #1586
Gregg00SS
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quick question, will the bed liner self adhere to itself? Been a few days since I applied it and am now seeing a few spots which aren't fully covered, nothing major just a few small spots. I still need to coat my flares and wanted to touch up those spots. Curious if I could just apply the liner over the existing liner w/o any prep?
Gregg00SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #1587
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I applied another coat a day after applying all my liner and it held it just fine.

The only spot I have is on my door jamb where the liner came off WITH THE PAINT ATTACHED. Root cause: I didn't wipe down the door jamb enough to get some paint that came off when I had to use a straight edge to get some sticky tape from the plastic door jamb protectors. It held down well - until I applied the liner. If I had done a better wipe job there, it would NOT have come off. But everywhere else on my TJ that was lined the next day (a GOOD 28 hours later), everything is SOLID.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #1588
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg00SS View Post
Quick question, will the bed liner self adhere to itself? Been a few days since I applied it and am now seeing a few spots which aren't fully covered, nothing major just a few small spots. I still need to coat my flares and wanted to touch up those spots. Curious if I could just apply the liner over the existing liner w/o any prep?
It should stick fine within a few days. Just make sure it's clean first. You could lightly rub the spot with scuff pad or fine paper just for peace of mind.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #1589
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
You will need a shutz gun (undercoating gun) to spray it. You are in Colorado, not California, so you should be able to find MEK. Get the MEK, and use about 5% MEK 95% liner (I believe that works out to about 8 ounces of MEK). 2 Coats are sufficient for the interior of a Jeep, but isnce you are spraying, you could probably do 3. As for heat from the trans tunnel, I have a 42rle (4-speed auto), and it is a hot tranny. I had no issues with heat.

There is sufficient amount of grip that you won't be sliding around. Why are you trying to match Herculiner gray?
I am now currently in CA, and thus MEK is apparently not available.

Ive never rode in a Jeep with an 42rle, but my aw4 gets very hot (seen it melt a camera in a friends Jeep who had only Herc and no carpet) and was hoping Monstaliner was better at reducing interior heat than the Herc is. Hot tranny and hot exhaust= unhappy and hot Starboard M.

I would like to get as close to the Herculiner color as possible because I already have it put down in the Jeep. But I have done extensive body work and need to cover up my little imperfections and Im also tired of the Herc. But, I would rather not spray the entire inside again, just half of it, and I was hoping the colors would be fairly similar.

Side note: Anyone know how to completely strip Herculiner off of metal?

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #1590
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
I am now currently in CA, and thus MEK is apparently not available.

Ive never rode in a Jeep with an 42rle, but my aw4 gets very hot (seen it melt a camera in a friends Jeep who had only Herc and no carpet) and was hoping Monstaliner was better at reducing interior heat than the Herc is. Hot tranny and hot exhaust= unhappy and hot Starboard M.

I would like to get as close to the Herculiner color as possible because I already have it put down in the Jeep. But I have done extensive body work and need to cover up my little imperfections and Im also tired of the Herc. But, I would rather not spray the entire inside again, just half of it, and I was hoping the colors would be fairly similar.

Side note: Anyone know how to completely strip Herculiner off of metal?
You can use acetone in place of MEK. The problem is that herc will fade unless you added their component to protect the color. So, if you put monsta on with herc, eventually they won't match because monstaliner won't fade. Luckrider or magnet man can correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe you can put monstaliner over top of herc.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.