Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner - Page 101 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Liner

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #1501
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
use about 5% MEK 95% liner (I believe that works out to about 8 ounces of MEK)
Not following this, do you mix MEK into the liner gallon with the catalyst? Is that in the instructions? Hadnt come across that info and I have a kit en route.

cadeucsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #1502
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I will let Keith answer that one.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #1503
magnetman
Caveman Chemist
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post
Not following this, do you mix MEK into the liner gallon with the catalyst? Is that in the instructions? Hadnt come across that info and I have a kit en route.
We've revised the reduction requirements.

Use 10% MEK. Get a bucket large enough to hold at least 1-1/4 gallons liquid.
(2 gallon plastic pail works) Mix entire catalyst with part filled gallon of bedliner.
Power mix well for 5 minutes and then dump gallon into oversized bucket.
Add just shy of 1 pint MEK to mixture. Use the empty catalyst can to measure.
Can is 16 oz so fill it with MEK about 1/2 inch short of being full (this will be approx 13 oz)
Mix well again for 2 minutes. Fill your shutz gun and dump remaining mixture back into empty bedliner gallon can.
Seal lid loosely and only reopen can when refilling gun.

Spray 1 medium wet coat over all surfaces refilling gun when needed.
Wait 1 hour after you complete 1st coat and start spraying again.
Keep can of reduced liner tightly sealed between coats.
Power mix again before beginning 2nd coat. 2nd coat should be to full coverage.
Adjust your pressure while spraying to see pattern developed that you like.
Correct pressure will be between 60 to 100 PSI.
magnetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #1504
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
We've revised the reduction requirements.

Use 10% MEK. Get a bucket large enough to hold at least 1-1/4 gallons liquid.
(2 gallon plastic pail works) Mix entire catalyst with part filled gallon of bedliner. Power mix well for 5 minutes and then dump gallon into oversized bucket. Add just shy of 1 pint MEK to mixture. Use the empty catalyst can to measure. Can is 16 oz so fill it with MEK about 1/2 inch short of being full (this will be approx 13 oz) Mix well again for 2 minutes. Fill your shutz gun and dump remaining mixture back into empty bedliner gallon can. Seal lid loosely and only reopen can when refilling gun.

Spray 1 medium wet coat over all surfaces refilling gun when needed. Wait 1 hour after you complete 1st coat and start spraying again. Keep can of reduced liner tightly sealed between coats. Power mix againd before beginning 2nd coat. 2nd coat should be to full coverage. Adjust your pressure while spraying to see pattern developed that you like. Correct pressure will be between 60 to 100 PSI.
oohhh..now I am following, prepping for gun usage. Rolling requires none of this, correct? I see now that all the original questions from Starboard related to the fact hes spraying....I was thinking they were separate questions/topics.
cadeucsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #1505
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Note regarding spray instructions below:
The original instructions/install guide does not include this info.
We had not anticipated that many peoplw would be spraying Monstaliner so the next revision of guide will now include this.
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #1506
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
oohhh..now I am following, prepping for gun usage. Rolling requires none of this, correct? I see now that all the original questions from Starboard related to the fact hes spraying....I was thinking they were separate questions/topics.
Rolling only requires the surface prep and then you mix catalyst with liner and go.
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #1507
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetman View Post
Quote:
If you want, I could measure my TJ tomorrow (rough estimates of course). I would image 2 gallons should be enough. Spraying would probably be the best way to do it though.

Shoot him this thread, he might learn something
If you could stretch a tape over yours tomorrow it would be greatly appreciated and worth a free quart of Chassis Saver

Thanks!
Quote:
I have those numbers. Looks like it is going to be just under 60 Square Feet for the outside of a TJ/YJ/CJ. Here is the math (all done in inches, then divided by 144 to convert to feet).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider
Grill :756"
Tail :1440"
Fender:252" x 2 =504"
Door :864" + 98" x2 = 962" =1924"
Hood :3286" - 371" =2915"
Rear :288" + 128" x2 = 416" =832"

Total :8371" = 58.13194444444 Square Feet
So hows that can going MagnetMan
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #1508
magnetman
Caveman Chemist

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So hows that can going MagnetMan
I did not forget you
PM me your shipping address and tell me what color you want
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #1509
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Going over color selection right now.

Edit: Is the Antique Black like a semi-gloss or satin? What kind of finish does it have exactly? Do you need to prime with the silver first? If so, it looks like Gloss Black would be the best bet.
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #1510
BoneyMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Question: I got my kit yesterday but it was raining all day and couldn't line. Today the forecast is isolated t-storms. Humidity is supposed to be under 80% by now and dropping to 55% by early afternoon and staying there. Are these conditions okay for lining? Need my jeep by Thursday...
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #1511
aerojeeptj

I did mine on a rainy and cold day and it came out fine, then again we had the garage door shut during the first coat (I don't recommend it unless you like killing brain cells)
Unread 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #1512
BoneyMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished first coat. A few impressions:

- The rollers don't hold up long at all. I went through both during the first coat and still ended up with some pieces of them in the liner. Luckily, I took the advice of LuckRider and a few others on here and bought some extra textured rollers beforehand.

- The directions are only relevant to lining the tub of a TJ to a certain extent. About halfway through, I found it easier to slop the stuff on with a paint brush and roll over to get the desired texture since our Jeeps have so many little nooks and crannys in the tub.

- This is NOT a one man job. I just finished the first coat and I want to kill myself. As the rollers start to dissolve and the stuff starts to get tar-like, the stress-meter goes high. Get a buddy.

- On the plus side, the chemical composition of this is pretty freaking awesome. When I was doing my tailgate, a little drop started to pool up at the bottom and drip down, then it hesitated and the monstaliner sucked it back into itself. It was like Venom from Spiderman. Awesome.

Applying second coat in about 2.5 hours. Here's hoping all ends well.
Unread 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #1513
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My rollers held up just fine, but I wasn't pressing down hard. You may be pressing harder than you think. The fact that we applied a 'first' coat with brushes and sponge brushes may have made the initial application thicker and saved the rollers for the 'easier' second coats...
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #1514
BoneyMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm all done. It looks awesome. The rollers from Magnet Paints held up way better than the texture rollers I got from Lowe's. If I did it over again, I'd order extra rollers from them. I was amazed at how well this stuff tapes off. Lines are super clean and look awesome. I'll post some pics tomorrow with better lighting.
Unread 05-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #1515
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Boney, I too was really impressed with the coating texture. I've since put my mats back in, but I like the look of the floor w/o them! Gotta protect the liner! :lol:
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.