Drake Hood Hold Down Issue, owners please read. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Drake Hood Hold Down Issue, owners please read.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Drake Hood Hold Down Issue, owners please read.

We pride ourselves on releasing what we feel is the best product on the market and something that is quality made. We thought we had that nailed with these hood hold downs and have been selling them. We also stand behind our product 100% because of these feelings and when issues pop up no matter how big or small we try to take care of the customer and make changes moving forward to better our product.

With that said, we are unfortunately finding issues with the current inventory of hood hold downs. This involves you guys that have purchased them.

We do a lot of testing on our prototype parts before we go to production to catch any problems before it's too late. We found issues with rusting on the prototype samples. This caused us to make a few changes to correct this issue, after these changes the hood hold downs passed our salt spray testing and we actually still have a set on my parents jeep that's somewhere in florida right now rust free. At that point we went to production on them.

Well, it looks like the production parts are having issues with rust even with these changes. Because of this we are stopping all sales of our hood hold downs until we get a new product in. The lower bolt on our prototype pieces is stainless steel and does not rust. Unfortunately we think the material used for this bolt got switched out on us for the production run and it's not stainless. Also, the nickel plating on the sleeves isn't holding up as it was shown to in salt spray testing. We are going to switch this over to stainless as well. Currently the sleeves are the only pieces that are not supposed to be stainless. Well, we're making changes to ensure 100% of the parts are stainless.

So... What's this mean for customers that already have purchased? We will be doing one of two things... We will either refund your purchase or we will swap out your parts. Either way it's handled we will send call tags to have your old parts returned on our dime. Essentially we will be swapping out virtually everything except for the turnbuckle and rod ends itself.

We'd rather be proactive and tackle this before all the negative talking starts! This is an issue with our parts and we will own up to it and do what we can to the best of our means to make things right. We had our first known issue pop up middle of last week and started investigating what was happening right away. We had a 2nd incident this morning so at this point we're putting everything on hold and getting it corrected.

If you already currently have these, keep an eye out for how we are going to deal with making things right. We stand behind our products 100% and if we made a mistake we'll own up to it and make sure you guys get taken care of.

We're working out the details of how we're going to handle this today. We will have a timeline for when replacement parts will be ready to send out for current customers hopefully tomorrow. I will post info as it becomes available to me.

If any of you guys are members on other jeep forums and hear of issues, please feel free to point them in the direction of this thread! I would really appreciate it.

We do appologize for this because we realise this is a pain in the butt for you guys but like I've said a couple times, we'll do what we need to in order to get you guys taken care of.

Thanks,
Khris
Drake Off Road

Last edited by DRAKEOFFROAD; 04-07-2010 at 10:15 AM..
DRAKEOFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not that I really want to keep bumping this to the top of the forums but I do just want to make sure everyone that already has these has seen this!

Also, we've had a couple calls from people that have installed these and threw away their original pieces. They're worried that because of that they won't be able to send in their pieces. I just want to point out that if you're in this situation and are willing to be patient to allow us some time to make new parts we will send you the new corrected parts along with a call tag. You can simply swap out the parts and then send the old ones back our way. Pretty simple.

There also has been some concern of any rust getting to the vehicles. The mounting hardware for sure is stainless steel and is not having any issues!!!! If by some chance your's does absolutely contact me cause you have some other oddball issue where you got the wrong bolt or something, but that should not be the case. The rust issue is going on in the sleeves inside the brackets on both ends. I don't see any way the rust will travel thru the nylon brackets down to your hood.

I'm hoping to have more info today and will post as soon as I have an idea time wise of when we think we will have replacement parts ready to go and details of how we're going to handle this.

My appologies for this situation,
Khris
Unread 04-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Gregpinch

You guys are awesome.
I have a set and they are rusting so I will wait for a new set.
I love mine.
Gregpinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
cajunfireman
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've been thinking about ordering a set, but haven't yet. I'll wait for the new ones to come out now. When a company takes responsibility for a mistake and corrects it like you guys are doing, that's the kind of company I like to do business with. Look forward to getting the new product.

[COLOR="Red"][B]Firefighter Jeep Club Member #337[/B][/COLOR]

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." -John 15:13

Fight Crime....Shoot Back

[B]I'll keep my money, my guns, and my freedom. You can stick the change up your ***.[/B]
cajunfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just so you know, I'm not leaving you guys hanging. We don't actually manufacture these in house since we don't have the capabilities. I'm the designer on these parts though and am the one that deals with the vendor in regards to this project. I'm in talks with them and they're sourcing the materials. They want to do some more rigerous testing on these new materials to make sure they will hold up so we don't repeat this mistake and then we will be in production. I asked yesterday if they had an ETA but they're still waiting on the new material to be delivered and are hesitant to toss out a date they possibly can't be held firm to yet which I understand. I'm staying on top of this though and will keep you guys up to date as well so you know that we are not dropping the ball on this.

BTW, in case you guys didn't notice on my signature, we're located in Las Vegas. Not exactly the best place to do real world testing when it comes to rusting issues. That's why we have to rely on salt spray testing. Now fading from UV and sun exposure... LOL, leaving parts on the roof of our building works darn well!!!
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
wingsnracks
2008 JK Wrangler 

Cheers to Drake Offroad for standing behind their parts. Anxiously waiting on the new rustproof product to come out. Any ETA on the new hold downs. I'm getting ready for my new AEV hood and wondering if I should wait on the hold downs for the install.
wingsnracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm supposed to talk to the vendor tomorrow actually but last I heard was we still have a few weeks. May time frame for sure. They're literally remaking the upper and lower brackets with the quick release pins attached. Basically we're going to replace everything except the hardware and turnbuckle piece.
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #8
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can I get you guys to just do a simple short post saying "i need new parts" so I can get a head count of people on here that need replacement parts? As I said, we obviously are replacing our entire inventory but I'm trying to get estimates on an initial up front need so I can get some of the first inventory here sooner then later instead of waiting for the bulk of it. My hopes is to get you guys and all customers that have called in taken care of up front and to have a small inventory on hand to swap out for future calls between this early shipment and the bulk coming in. We'll restock our vendors with the bulk replacement but want to take care of you guys first...

So... Just a simple head count right now would be awesome so I can relay this info to our manufacturer. By the way, I won't be replying to everyone's posts below. Just know I'm monitoring this and taking a head count for sure. I'll continue to post here though as I get more info as to progress...

Thanks,
Khris

Last edited by DRAKEOFFROAD; 04-23-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and if anyone is a member of jk-forum.com could you do me a favor and possibly post a link to this thread in the thread that I'm pasting below. Somehow I've been black listed over there and can't post, search or really do anything other then just view. Kind of sucks cause I'm trying to address this on as many forums as I can find with people that have these and I have no say over there...

Drake Off Road™ Hood Hold Downs
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
harald-hans
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKEOFFROAD View Post
Can I get you guys to just do a simple short post saying "i need new parts" so I can get a head count of people on here that need replacement parts? As I said, we obviously are replacing our entire inventory but I'm trying to get estimates on an initial up front need so I can get some of the first inventory here sooner then later instead of waiting for the bulk of it. My hopes is to get you guys and all customers that have called in taken care of up front and to have a small inventory on hand to swap out for future calls between this early shipment and the bulk coming in. We'll restock our vendors with the bulk replacement but want to take care of you guys first...

So... Just a simple head count right now would be awesome so I can relay this info to our manufacturer.

Thanks,
Khris
I have here in Germany two set`s for the JK and one set for the TJ - all three set`s are purchased at quadratec ...

Greetings from Germany

harald-hans

Yellow RubiKong - Frontside / Yellow RubiKong - Backside
harald-hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just bumping this. We've got 40JK and 40TJ sets coming possibly by the end of the week. I'm obviously going to do some in house testing on this as to not to totally embarrass ourselves so it'll be another few days/week till I'm comfortable shipping. Anyone that needs these though needs to speak up or else these replacements will go to vendors to restock the inventory we had them pull off the shelves... So really I need a head count of how many to set aside.

Greg, Wings, Harold I'll make sure to set some aside for you guys specifically. If anyone else needs on that list they need to post up here or make sure and call to speak directly with enrique and let him know you need a replacement set.

Khris
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Okay guys, we got 40 sets for the TJ in and 40 sets for the JK in. These are a rush shipment. There's a lot more on their way. I can't take from this batch to sell, these are slated solely for replcement of the inventory that's out there right now.

I've got these soaking and am going to hold off till Monday to pull the trigger on shipping. But with that said, those of you that need replacements. You need to call Enrique over here in our sales dept. and get on the list to be swapped out. To be honest, these first ones are slated to replace the inventory we pulled from the vendors but if you want in on them get your name in first cause I've stressed numerous times that we need to take care of some of the guys that are already out there having issues.

So, if you haven't already call and speak with Enrique and have him add you to the list. 702-853-2060

harald-hans, I've already specifically got your name on the list so no worries on calling in from Germany...

Khris
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
Nick
2006 WK 

Good on your guys for taking care of the problem.
2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 | Utah Jeepcrew #19 | Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]

Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Now that is what I call customer service. That makes me feel even more comfortable recommending and buying from you. I have been looking at those sweet JK shifters hoping you guys make one for the Auto TJ.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #15
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I will buy some of the old style ones for cheap Seriously...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.