Custom Parts - NalinMFG - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > Custom Parts - NalinMFG

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Reply
Unread 12-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #151
lockedwheels
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post

You could run bearclaw latches on the inside
Never thought about those....interesting

lockedwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #152
jeepjunkytj
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central City, Nebraska
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post
I'm sorry that you had trouble with the ones that you made. What was the cause of the problems -- you just say that "the rims will not hold up to the abuse" -- what kind of abuse are you talking about? There are THOUSANDS of vehicles on the road with metal rings bolted to their wheels.

If the threads are stripping and the ring was able to move/erode the finish then you did not torque the bolts properly or used the wrong thread pitch. Loctite would also prevent the bolts from ever loosening.

Yes they'd need to come off to change a flat tire...what makes you think otherwise? Tire irons pry against the lip of the wheel unless it's done on a machine. (Really though, I guess they could stay on if the outer diameter of the ring is less than flush with the lip)


I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by "engineering the issues out of them"?
I would use a bottoming tap to chase the threads if they're not too far gone. If they are then it'd need to be drilled out and tapped to a larger diameter.
The bolts were the correct thread count and pitch, After bolting them on and removing them each time for the tire machine to remove the tire from the rim, AND to remove the rock ring from the rim so I could sand off the rust and repaint the threads on the rims started to pull out, Lock tight and the such keeps the bolts tight, and that is what I used, but again after a 2 years I was having threads strip out on the rim. And the fear of loosing a ring at road speed and hurting someone was more liability than I wanted.
As for the Finish... I contacted the rim manufacturer and spoke with them. They stated that they were having issues with the factory bolts eroding the finish on the rims...that is why the next generation o the DC1&2 rims no longer have the bolts on them. Now when you bolt a spacer on the rim the erosion is accelerated. If you have any questions feel free to PM me your number and Ill explain it better...if I can
jeepjunkytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #153
NalinMFG
Vendor
 
NalinMFG's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunkytj View Post
The bolts were the correct thread count and pitch, After bolting them on and removing them each time for the tire machine to remove the tire from the rim, AND to remove the rock ring from the rim so I could sand off the rust and repaint the threads on the rims started to pull out, Lock tight and the such keeps the bolts tight, and that is what I used, but again after a 2 years I was having threads strip out on the rim. And the fear of loosing a ring at road speed and hurting someone was more liability than I wanted.
As for the Finish... I contacted the rim manufacturer and spoke with them. They stated that they were having issues with the factory bolts eroding the finish on the rims...that is why the next generation o the DC1&2 rims no longer have the bolts on them. Now when you bolt a spacer on the rim the erosion is accelerated. If you have any questions feel free to PM me your number and Ill explain it better...if I can
So you're saying that the tapped wheel threads gradually stripped themselves over two years, or you did not torque them correctly and the aluminum (low tensile material) lost the fight with steel (higher tensile material) over the course of removing/installing several times?

As for your finish...metal on metal is going to erode any finish. Rubber washers or some type of gasket may have assisted in alleviating those issues. It'd hard to say with finishes, especially when you claim that the manufacturer admits to having some type of preexisting issue.

I'm having a hard time following where you're going with this? Something you made, installed, and used didn't work so no one should use outer wheel rings? Every bolt on a moving object needs to be torqued correctly and done so in a star pattern. I can almost guarantee that the bolt issues you had could have been fixed with a torque wrench. Take a look at some of the users in the very thread using rings on threaded aluminum wheels.

Are you looking to have a custom item made?
__________________


5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
------------------------------
Website:
www.NalinMFG.com
------------------------------
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #154
dirtycruiser
Member
 
dirtycruiser's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ft Myers, Florida
Posts: 479
I keep an allen wrench in my jeep and every couple of weeks I recheck all of my rock ring bolts. It's called typical maintenance along with greasing all joints and checking all undercarriage fasteners. When your playing like we do ya gotta expect things to come loose.

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/cre...a42bd.jpg.html
dirtycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #155
olysteve
Junior Member
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 99
Nice looking rig!
olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #156
NalinMFG
Vendor
 
NalinMFG's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtycruiser View Post
I keep an allen wrench in my jeep and every couple of weeks I recheck all of my rock ring bolts. It's called typical maintenance along with greasing all joints and checking all undercarriage fasteners. When your playing like we do ya gotta expect things to come loose.

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/cre...a42bd.jpg.html

Looks like yours have seen some use!
__________________


5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
------------------------------
Website:
www.NalinMFG.com
------------------------------
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #157
dirtycruiser
Member
 
dirtycruiser's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ft Myers, Florida
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG
Looks like yours have seen some use!
Hell yes! I abuse them weekly. But they love it!!! Lots of battle scars.

image-2945177166.jpg
dirtycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #158
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler
 
mike_breaker_5's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: emporium,, pennsylvania
Posts: 2,952
posting for future updates. just found your vendor thread and website. i'm loving what you have available!
__________________
Ratmonkey donation page. all proceeds will go to his family.
http://www.youcaring.com/memorial-fu..._source=widget


it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #159
jeepjunkytj
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central City, Nebraska
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NalinMFG View Post
So you're saying that the tapped wheel threads gradually stripped themselves over two years, or you did not torque them correctly and the aluminum (low tensile material) lost the fight with steel (higher tensile material) over the course of removing/installing several times?

As for your finish...metal on metal is going to erode any finish. Rubber washers or some type of gasket may have assisted in alleviating those issues. It'd hard to say with finishes, especially when you claim that the manufacturer admits to having some type of preexisting issue.

I'm having a hard time following where you're going with this? Something you made, installed, and used didn't work so no one should use outer wheel rings? Every bolt on a moving object needs to be torqued correctly and done so in a star pattern. I can almost guarantee that the bolt issues you had could have been fixed with a torque wrench. Take a look at some of the users in the very thread using rings on threaded aluminum wheels.

Are you looking to have a custom item made?
Ok. I know that the bolts were torqued. I hope that you can make them...they look good on that rim. All I was trying to say was I tried it and there was an issue ...I hope that you can enginer my proplems out of it.
jeepjunkytj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #160
NalinMFG
Vendor
 
NalinMFG's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunkytj View Post
Ok. I know that the bolts were torqued. I hope that you can make them...they look good on that rim. All I was trying to say was I tried it and there was an issue ...I hope that you can enginer my proplems out of it.
I appreciate your concern for people wanting to use bolt on rock rings, but now I am telling you as a machinist that threads do not strip themselves. Wear and tear always has a reason. There are no problems to "engineer" out of a piece of metal that bolts to threaded holes. I don't know how else to politely say that.

I remind readers that jeepjunkytj is referring to rings that he made/installed himself and the faults mentioned are no way related to a NalinMFG product.
__________________


5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
------------------------------
Website:
www.NalinMFG.com
------------------------------
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #161
olysteve
Junior Member
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 99
That is what it seems to me that he was trying to do.
Nalin mfg makes quality products, not something hacked together.
olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #162
gougeanator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 6
Do you do any like license plate trampstamps like poison spyder does but for 97-06
gougeanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #163
NalinMFG
Vendor
 
NalinMFG's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by gougeanator View Post
Do you do any like license plate trampstamps like poison spyder does but for 97-06
I have done several vent covers. The 03-06 are bent like a top hat to clear the vent if you are looking to add a license palte, but I don't have any pictures handy. 97-02 can be flat.











__________________


5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
------------------------------
Website:
www.NalinMFG.com
------------------------------
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #164
NalinMFG
Vendor
 
NalinMFG's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,932
I do more than flat stuff:

1.75" DOM, 1.75" HREW, and 1" DOM on the shelf.






__________________


5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
------------------------------
Website:
www.NalinMFG.com
------------------------------
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #165
NalinMFG
Vendor
 
NalinMFG's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 1,932
__________________


5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
------------------------------
Website:
www.NalinMFG.com
------------------------------
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.