8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Vendor Display > Vendor Display > 8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #271
2002TJX65
Addicted or Committed?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573

So far the Artec kit is the only thing that has worked. Gave up on the ebrake.
Buy an e-brake kit from eastcoastgearsupply.com it works perfectly and I think the cables are only like $60

I6, NV3550, NP231, Trussed Ford 8.8, Trussed HPD30
2002TJX65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #272
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002TJX65 View Post
Buy an e-brake kit from eastcoastgearsupply.com it works perfectly and I think the cables are only like $60
I have everything installed and set up correctly. Just doesn't want to hold it tight no matter how much I tighten it. If I tighten it too much, the shoes rub.

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE
NIB HiLift HL-484 48" Cast/Steel Jack
4" Fabtech Coils/Shocks (TJ/LJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #273
2002TJX65
Addicted or Committed?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I have everything installed and set up correctly. Just doesn't want to hold it tight no matter how much I tighten it. If I tighten it too much, the shoes rub.
That's weird, I have not had the chance to set mine up yet.

Unread 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #274
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002TJX65 View Post
That's weird, I have not had the chance to set mine up yet.
I swear anything that could have gone wrong on this swap did. Murphy's law is a *****.

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE

Quote:
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #275
2002TJX65
Addicted or Committed?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I swear anything that could have gone wrong on this swap did. Murphy's law is a *****.
Story of my life man!

Unread 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #276
ARTEC
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djljeep View Post
To bring back up the question asked earlier, any chance of the same bracket setup on a Wagoneer style 44. I absolutely love the concept and it's a pretty good price all things considered, but I am in the position of already owning a couple of 44s.
I think the feature I like most in these kits is that everything magically lines up. I have a non-truss bracket kit now that wasn't lined up correctly when new and is all messed up now.
This got me thinking about swapping this kit into other axles. I overlayed both a Dana 60 and a Waggy d44 model on the swap kit and realized they were offset in the opposite direction from the 8.8 so there are some significant gaps between the gussets and the housing. Bummer, I thought maybe I wouldn't have to make a new product.

Then I got to thinking, if they are the opposite offset, why couldn't I just flip the inner large gusset? The only thing keeping that gusset directional is the key and slot jigs in the top truss piece. If you were to grind that off, you could flip it. Then all the small gussets would just flip sides of the axle. When I did that, here's what I saw. (waggy d44 shown)

BINGO!

With a very small amount of modification, this should work for a Waggoneer dana 44. The main modifications needed are grinding off the key jigs off the top of the inner main gusset and compensating for the difference in tube diameter. The waggy 44 has a 2.75" tube diameter and the 8.8 has a 3.25". So when you place the truss and upper link mounts on top of the axle and the the lower link mounts on the bottom, they will be 1/2" closer to eachother. That shouldn't be a huge issue but I think you'd need adjustable control arms just in case. There will a gap on the tips of the gussets that wrap around the tubing, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Just fab something up or fill it.

The Dana 60 will require a little more grinding and modifying but it should also fit. The yellow gusset will be over the round cast section over the tube so it'll probably require welding to cast or something. The tube diameter is nearly the same though so that shouldn't be an issue.

There you go, one product turns into three and maybe more with a little modification.

JUST TO BE CLEAR THOUGH, WE HAVE NOT SWAPPED EITHER AXLE INTO A TJ, SO WE CAN'T GUARANTEE THE SWAP. We won't be responsible if more is needed and obviously this will require more work than the instructions cover. Measuring will be required to make sure the truss is centered. Please test fit everything BEFORE GRINDING and FINAL WELDING.

Follow us on FACEBOOK
Quick Links: Battery Mounts ULTIMATE HIGH STEER QUART CRATE Axle Trusses Fuel Cell Mounts

ARTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #277
ARTEC
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
Artec, the shock mounts were a major issue for me. They didn't line up correctly when put on per instructions. Also, they were way too thick, so the shock body would hit the bracket before the holes would come close to lining up. We had to cut them off, grind them down significantly, bolt them to the shock, and use a jack to compress the shock and tack the brackets in correctly. Otherwise, the Artec kit worked pretty well.
I'm sorry to hear that. It's weird how the shock mounts will work fine for so many but a small few won't. Out of the probably thousand that we've sold, we've probably only heard of about 5 cases. It probably mostly has to do with the shock, but we've listened to the feedback and the next batch of shock mounts will be improved. Thank you for your feedback.

Follow us on FACEBOOK
Quick Links: Battery Mounts ULTIMATE HIGH STEER QUART CRATE Axle Trusses Fuel Cell Mounts

Unread 03-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #278
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTEC View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. It's weird how the shock mounts will work fine for so many but a small few won't. Out of the probably thousand that we've sold, we've probably only heard of about 5 cases. It probably mostly has to do with the shock, but we've listened to the feedback and the next batch of shock mounts will be improved. Thank you for your feedback.
No problem!

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE

Quote:
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #279
CCOR
Vendor
1979 CJ5 

I'll post pics of the 8.8 truss and TJ swap at the shop and load them soon!
Great product
Randy's Gear Supply
CCOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #280
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTEC View Post
I was one that sent feedback in about this issue as well...i think what may be happening is there's no standard for the shock industry. I run Rough Country shocks, as they are cheap and also came with the lift. The body of them are a good inch in diameter bigger than any bilstein I've seen. It's much much wider than the mounting eye of the shock, thus not allowing the body to go inside the bracket. Also, you can't reverse it for the same reasons against the body of the jeep, AND there is a cup or neck around the opposite end of the shock.

It could also be that the hole was moved deeper into the bracket for added strength??? But could easily IMO be moved closer to the outside edge of the bracket as there is truly not enough upward pull from the shock that would blow out the material.

Now, I didn't go thru the effort those guys did, i just did the grinding with them on the jeep until it fit, but that's just me....
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #281
ARTEC
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBoy1991 View Post
I was one that sent feedback in about this issue as well...i think what may be happening is there's no standard for the shock industry. I run Rough Country shocks, as they are cheap and also came with the lift. The body of them are a good inch in diameter bigger than any bilstein I've seen. It's much much wider than the mounting eye of the shock, thus not allowing the body to go inside the bracket. Also, you can't reverse it for the same reasons against the body of the jeep, AND there is a cup or neck around the opposite end of the shock.

It could also be that the hole was moved deeper into the bracket for added strength??? But could easily IMO be moved closer to the outside edge of the bracket as there is truly not enough upward pull from the shock that would blow out the material.

Now, I didn't go thru the effort those guys did, i just did the grinding with them on the jeep until it fit, but that's just me....
That's pretty much what I figured you'd have to do to make it fit if you had a set of shocks like this, but some have said it took them more work. What that was exactly, idk, but we trimmed up the new ones anyways and made it a little easier to determine what side they go on too by the way it attachs to the axle. You can see a preview actually in this picture. The old ones on the right, new ones on the left.

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Unread 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #282
lateralus3
1994 ZJ 

I ran into the same problem with the shock mounts and I'm running doetch tech shocks that came with my iron rock offroad lift

1994 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 IRO 5.5 critical path long arm kit and OTK steering 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2's

high pinion dana 30 and 8.8 in garage
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/lateralus3s-slow-build-thread-1042086/"]my build thread[/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]FOR SALE ONE SET OF ZJ D44A AXLE SHAFTS $150 SHIPPED[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
lateralus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 04:03 AM   #283
jeepmonkey06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm getting ready to call Artec to see if they have this in stock. I hope I don't have this issue as well. Running Bilsteins.
jeepmonkey06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #284
2002TJX65
Addicted or Committed?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am having the same issue with the shocks, everything else is fine though. Tacked some of it up last night.

Unread 03-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #285
2002TJX65
Addicted or Committed?

2002 TJ Wrangler 

If the new shock mounts are wider and more improved, how do I get a couple of them? Trying not to make this project look hacked (when I take my grinder to the mounts and make them wide enough)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.