V6 TH - Anyone get into 9? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > V6 TH - Anyone get into 9?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 12-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
vintageagain68
1995 YJ Wrangler 

V6 TH - Anyone get into 9?

I have now 1100 miles on it since thanksgiving and just drove from NJ to VA and it never got into 9th gear despite all the highway driving. Fuel Economy on the trip was 25mpg which wasn't bad considering the hills and speed, but it never got into 9th. Has anyone else?

vintageagain68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
bruceg

You won't get into 9th unless you're doing WELL over 80 MPH from what I've read on other forums. Some people reported getting into 9th at 89-90MPH.
You guys have to understand that just because you have a 9 speed transmission it isn't going to use all 9 gears in a small zone like 0-70 mph. That would defeat the purpose of a 9 speed transmission...IMO anyway.
bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Brassmonkey
2014 KL Cherokee 

I have hit it a few times. All of them have been going down hill at 55+ MPH.
Brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Nalcyon
2014 KL Cherokee 

Hit 9 for the first time. 87 mph coasting downhill. To the second poster... I agree with you. I bought my Cherokee in spite of the 9 speed not because of it. My experience confirms what I thought it would be, basically more complexity and expense for little to no benefit. If you have a top gear that can only be accessed at nearly fifteen over the highest speed limit in my state while going downhill and only hold it for three seconds that just seems like a lot of unnecessary r&d and equipment I'm paying for. IMHO if jeep is dead set on having this transmission why not outfit it with a shorter final drive ratio like a 455 or even 488. With such a tall set of overdrives you would still have plenty of gear. Its not like the 9 speeds go sequentially anyways. I bet it would even get better or at least comparable mpg without having to shift so much to maintain highway speeds. For example my 08jk came with a six speed and 321 gears. I changed to 488s and only had a very slight reduction in mpgs with the same tires. With 321s and sixth gear you had to keep the gas pedal floored to hold seventy on the interstate. The 488s made more sense with such a tall sixth gear. .02
Nalcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
mbjeepxj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalcyon View Post
Hit 9 for the first time. 87 mph coasting downhill. To the second poster... I agree with you. I bought my Cherokee in spite of the 9 speed not because of it. My experience confirms what I thought it would be, basically more complexity and expense for little to no benefit. If you have a top gear that can only be accessed at nearly fifteen over the highest speed limit in my state while going downhill and only hold it for three seconds that just seems like a lot of unnecessary r&d and equipment I'm paying for. IMHO if jeep is dead set on having this transmission why not outfit it with a shorter final drive ratio like a 455 or even 488. With such a tall set of overdrives you would still have plenty of gear. Its not like the 9 speeds go sequentially anyways. I bet it would even get better or at least comparable mpg without having to shift so much to maintain highway speeds. For example my 08jk came with a six speed and 321 gears. I changed to 488s and only had a very slight reduction in mpgs with the same tires. With 321s and sixth gear you had to keep the gas pedal floored to hold seventy on the interstate. The 488s made more sense with such a tall sixth gear. .02
the reason you could barely hold 70 in 6th gear in a JK is more due to aerodynamics (or lack thereof) than gear ratios.

i'm still waiting for somebody to invent an aerodynamic force field generator so we can all keep daily driving our jacked-up JK's and not worry about them having the aerodynamic properties of a barn door.
mbjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
You won't get into 9th unless you're doing WELL over 80 MPH from what I've read on other forums. Some people reported getting into 9th at 89-90MPH.

You guys have to understand that just because you have a 9 speed transmission it isn't going to use all 9 gears in a small zone like 0-70 mph. That would defeat the purpose of a 9 speed transmission...IMO anyway.
So what is the purpose of having a 9th gear since Speed limits in this country don't exceed 75 MPH (for the most part) ? Bragging rights ?

Why have a 9th gear when it just adds to the complexity of an already highly complex transmission and TCM ?

Makes NO sense.
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
cloose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
So what is the purpose of having a 9th gear since Speed limits in this country don't exceed 75 MPH (for the most part) ? Bragging rights ?

Why have a 9th gear when it just adds to the complexity of an already highly complex transmission and TCM ?

Makes NO sense.
Global sales?
cloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
CDNTrailHawk
2014 KL Cherokee 

Beach the diesels overseas ate hitting 9th
CDNTrailHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
bruceg

So you guys want a transmission that uses 1-9 gear from 0-70 mph...

Some of you make no sense...lol
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is odd since the EPA doesn't do mileage ratings under those conditions ... why wouldn't they gear to use all speeds in normal driving?

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
bruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
That is odd since the EPA doesn't do mileage ratings under those conditions ... why wouldn't they gear to use all speeds in normal driving?
So you want a vehicle with 9 really short gears that will top out at like 90 mph? lol
Don't get me wrong, it ain't a race car. But I don't want a vehicle with a top speed of 90...
Unread 12-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
So you want a vehicle with 9 really short gears that will top out at like 90 mph? lol
Don't get me wrong, it ain't a race car. But I don't want a vehicle with a top speed of 90...
We're not talking about topping out, we're talking about including a gear so tall that you can't even use it below 80. Even top gears in a Porsche or Corvette aren't that crazy tall.

Very good chance, since 9th is that long, you likely have a higher top speed in 8th.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
Nalcyon
2014 KL Cherokee 

Yes most sports cars find top speed in a gear lower than the top gear. People aren't scratching their heads wondering why they can't have 9 gears in a small speed range they're wondering why have this at all when it adds cost and complexity for a driving condition that is met a fraction of a percent of the time. Even with the ratios the way they are now I don't see why anyone would even need 9th gear unless you travel 90 plus on the highway and want better mileage which makes no sense to me.
Nalcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #14
zeusx08
2014 KL Cherokee 

I asked this on another thread- but perhaps it is more appropriate here: How do you see what gear you are currently in without switching back and forth to tiptronic?
zeusx08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
nomoremkx
2014 KL Cherokee 

You can't.
nomoremkx is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.