Transmission question for other owners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Transmission question for other owners

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
JDThird

Transmission question for other owners

I've got the Limited with a 4 cyl engine.

When starting from a complete stop, at low to mid acceleration, it feels like it pulls left/right/left/right for the first bit. It's not an out of balance feeling, but as if the front differential is switching power between one side and the other.

I've also got a real rough shift more than half the time from 1st to 2nd gear.

Anyone else experiencing any of this?

Thanks for any input

John

JDThird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
bruceg

Rough shift is normal. After a couple hundred miles it will smooth out.
As far as the left right left right thing - I have not experienced anything like that with mine.
bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
btbean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDThird View Post
I've got the Limited with a 4 cyl engine.

When starting from a complete stop, at low to mid acceleration, it feels like it pulls left/right/left/right for the first bit. It's not an out of balance feeling, but as if the front differential is switching power between one side and the other.

I've also got a real rough shift more than half the time from 1st to 2nd gear.

Anyone else experiencing any of this?

Thanks for any input

John
What mode are you operating your AD in? Only thing I could think would be torque-steer. Are you heavy on the pedal from a stop? Try it in Sport mode and see if it does it. The 40/60 front to rear would negate torque-steer if that was it.
btbean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
Rough shift is normal. After a couple hundred miles it will smooth out.
As far as the left right left right thing - I have not experienced anything like that with mine.
how does it smooth out.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Usually the the transmission and computer learn your driving habits and the car overall works out the maps/shift points as you go. As the motor and transmission break in, things eventually adjust.

Right now it seems the magic number is 1000 miles where most issues go away. After that would be a visit to the dealership.

I've had some really rough shifts at times or the car holding a gear for way longer than it should. But other drives are better and cleaner which means it is slowly breaking in and adapting.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

tks.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
4WDHARDWARE
Vendor

2014 KL Cherokee 

I had the same rough 1-2 shift when cold. I had the transmission control module re-flashed/ updated and it does not do it now. Guess mine slipped through the cracks at the factory...
http://www.4wd.com/
4WDHARDWARE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
how does it smooth out.
It's called Adaptive Shift Control. Basically, the transmission computer (TCM) "adapts" to a driver's driving habits over time.

http://papers.sae.org/2013-01-2486/
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDHARDWARE View Post
I had the same rough 1-2 shift when cold. I had the transmission control module re-flashed/ updated and it does not do it now. Guess mine slipped through the cracks at the factory...
Is there a way to tell which VERSION of software is currently installed in the TCU (transmission computer) ?
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
4WDHARDWARE
Vendor

2014 KL Cherokee 

Only way to check is to go to your servicing dealer and have them hook it up to their computer.
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
bruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
how does it smooth out.
As others have said - it learns your driving habits and changes shift points, etc based on that.
I've not spoke to ANYONE on here or on other forums that the transmission has NOT smoothed out a LOT for after 250-300 miles. I have about 320 miles on mine now and all gears shift smooth as silk. When I first got it from the dealer, 1st and 2nd gear were both a bit rough like everyone else reports.
bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
4WDHARDWARE
Vendor

2014 KL Cherokee 

Mine had @1900 miles when they were finally able to get me in.
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
JDThird

I'll have to take it to the dealer - I'm at almost 2k miles now, and it's still shifting horribly. This happens in all modes. Most notable when I'm *NOT* doing hard acceleration - i.e. pulling out of my driveway.

Thanks guys.
JDThird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
btbean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
I'll have to take it to the dealer - I'm at almost 2k miles now, and it's still shifting horribly. This happens in all modes. Most notable when I'm *NOT* doing hard acceleration - i.e. pulling out of my driveway.

Thanks guys.
Is the engine amd transmission cold when this happens? Mine did that for the first few hundred miles then stopped, but even now at 800 miles it will hard shift between 1 and 2 if the tranny temp is still cold, I let mine run for a few mi utes and it doesnt do it.
btbean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 05:21 AM   #15
whitebomber

Quote:

Thanks guys.
I have the same scenario. If I pull out nice and easy the 1st gear to second gear is rough. We had friends along the other day and I tried my best to pull out rather fast just to keep it a bit smoother.

Hopefully the magic "1000 miles" will smooth things out.

Noticed another thing yesterday. We had very snowy roads, so I was comparing Snow versus Sand/Mud. When I was in Sand/Mud it wouldn't shift. The rpm's just kept getting higher and higher. Moved it back to Snow and it shifted right down. Tried it again, same thing. I had used Sand/Mud the day before without issue. Weird...
'90/'91 4dr Montero's - gone but not forgotten

Impulse eliminates planning ... that's a good thing
whitebomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.