Is there more ground clearance with the Off Road Suspension? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Is there more ground clearance with the Off Road Suspension?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
shark715

Is there more ground clearance with the Off Road Suspension?

If I order the Active Drive II (which includes Off Road Suspension) on a Limited does anyone know the details of the Off Road Suspension? Does it include additional ground clearance (versus the standard suspension)? Thanks in advance for your help.

shark715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Zoramac
2014 KL Cherokee 

I do believe that that active drive 2 gives an additional 1" of ground clearance and a 4WD Low. (tires on the Trailhawk give it the additional 1") I'm 99% positive I read that somewhere, but cant seem to find where it was at the moment.
Zoramac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoramac View Post
I do believe that that active drive 2 gives an additional 1" of ground clearance and a 4WD Low. (tires on the Trailhawk give it the additional 1") I'm 99% positive I read that somewhere, but cant seem to find where it was at the moment.
I have read the same thing. ADII gives you the same suspension as the TH comes with and with the same size tires you would have the same 1" extra in height/GC.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
WildcatRider
1999 XJ Cherokee 

https://www.jeep.com/en/pdf/eBrochur...talog-2014.pdf

Page 14
WildcatRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
dsg76

Similar question- Is the actual ride different from the ADI (Limited) to ADII (TH)? I know the TH has an extra 1", but since i will be doing mostly normal road driving on the TH, I dont want a rougher ride.
dsg76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg76 View Post
Similar question- Is the actual ride different from the ADI (Limited) to ADII (TH)? I know the TH has an extra 1", but since i will be doing mostly normal road driving on the TH, I dont want a rougher ride.
There will most likely be different springs and stiffer shocks. Ride will definitely suffer on road compared to ADI. May not be a big difference to you but the only way to know would be to test drive an ADI/ADII and see to be sure.
Active Drive I
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Where are they measuring the ground clearance? At the skid plates? Clamshell differential? Or the actual lowest part of the vehicle ie the LCA? Because actual ground clearance would be the same regardless of suspension since tire height is the only thing that actually increases the clearance at the control arms. Manufactures do this kind of misdirection a lot, Toyota did it with the 3rd gen 4Runner claiming ridiculous 15" of ground clearance but the actual ground clearance is around 10". They measured and advertised the clearance at the front clamshell differential and not the actual lowest point which was the rear lower control arms and shock mounts since they hang down below the axle.

They did that so they could say it had higher ground clearance than Jeep Wrangler.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Jimd0313
1983 CJ7 

There is no additional "ground clearance" with Active Drive II. The Trailhawk has a 1 inch "ride height" difference, but the ground clearance is 8.7 inches across the board.
Jimd0313 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimd0313 View Post
There is no additional "ground clearance" with Active Drive II. The Trailhawk has a 1 inch "ride height" difference, but the ground clearance is 8.7 inches across the board.
Not according to Jeep.

Ground clearance by model...

2014 Cherokee Sport = 7.9"
2014 Cherokee Latitude = 8.2"
2014 Cherokee Limited = 8.2"
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk = 8.8"

I believe if you add ADII to the Latitude or Limited you end up with the same as the TH( might need the 245/17's too? ).
Active Drive I
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Jimd0313
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatRider View Post
See page 13. Ground Clearance Specs listed as the same. Where are you getting your numbers from?
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Jimd0313
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
Not according to Jeep.

Ground clearance by model...

2014 Cherokee Sport = 7.9"
2014 Cherokee Latitude = 8.2"
2014 Cherokee Limited = 8.2"
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk = 8.8"

I believe if you add ADII to the Latitude or Limited you end up with the same as the TH( might need the 245/17's too? ).
Looks like we have conflicting information. Jeep website states the numbers you listed above, but the vehicle literature books state differently.
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
thegreatnardini
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I test-drove two limited models, one with and one without ADII, the ADII model had more ground clearance.
thegreatnardini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #13
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatnardini
I test-drove two limited models, one with and one without ADII, the ADII model had more ground clearance.
What size tires were on the vehicles? And where was the ground clearance measured?
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
thegreatnardini
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately I didn't get that info (I wanted a trailhawk so I wasn't paying too much attention to the other models), all I can say is that when they were parked next to each-other the ADII one was slightly taller by an inch or so and they seemed to have the same size tires. I did snag a picture of the ADII one, if anyone has an ADI picture to compare it to.

thegreatnardini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimd0313 View Post
Looks like we have conflicting information. Jeep website states the numbers you listed above, but the vehicle literature books state differently.
Just the tire size difference alone will negate them all having exactly the same GC.
Active Drive I

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.