Suspension Mods.. Lift Impossible - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Suspension Mods.. Lift Impossible

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
soulfish
2014 KL Cherokee 

Thumbs down Suspension Mods.. Lift Impossible

Thanks Jeep!

Just got this from Rocky Road..

Rocky Road Outfitters mentioned you in a comment.Rocky Road Outfitters wrote: "Stephen... Long story short, it is not possible to lift the new Cherokee.
Long story long, the front end does not have alignment adjustability. The only way to align the front is to loosen and slightly shift the "cradle" which doesn't provide enough adjustment to lift the vehicle. In case you might think, "Just build a new lower control arm". YOu could, but to change the lower control arm, you would have to remove the front 'clip'. This is an aluminum sub-frame which supports the front of the engine, radiator, and everything in front of the front axles. So to remove that control arm would probably be a thousand $ mechanic job and beyond the skills of most DIY'ers.

Therefore, we had to admit defeat and will not be producing a suspension lift for this Jeep. Really sucks. We're disappointed

soulfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
LouC
2007 WK 

It's really not surprising at all. I wouldn't be lifting a WKII either. If you want to do lifts stick to the old school jeeps with live front axles, like a TJ, XJ ZJ or WJ.
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
soulfish
2014 KL Cherokee 

I was just hoping for a 2-3" lift, nothing too big, but wanted a quality lift to give a bit more flex and run 33"s

I just find it odd that Jeep chose to eliminate by "Design" any 3rd party products. That used to be the great thing about Jeep you had Choices!

That being said I may have gone up to a GC if I ever in a million years thought Jeep would design themselves into a box sort of speaking.
Unread 02-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Found this universal kit for fitting 33 inch tires....cheap too $119!!!

http://www.toolup.com/milwaukee_6519...d=scsho1083284

Don't paint yourself in a corner when trying to fit larger tires!
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
soulfish
2014 KL Cherokee 

yeah seriously! I would kinda like to see if the desert runners would be able to make flared wheel panels. Would not get the flex that way, but would get more clearance
Unread 02-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
LouC
2007 WK 

With the GC unless you get the factory quadralift you are not doing lifts on that either. Look at how these vehicles are designed, doing mods is basically impractical. You can fit a little taller tires and that's it. Just like no one does lifts on competing vehicles like a RAV4, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, etc. For true lift-able Jeeps you have to go back in time. You can lift a WK (2005 to 2010) but its more complex because of the IFS and CV axle joint angles.
Unread 02-13-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
With the GC unless you get the factory quadralift you are not doing lifts on that either. Look at how these vehicles are designed, doing mods is basically impractical. You can fit a little taller tires and that's it. Just like no one does lifts on competing vehicles like a RAV4, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, etc. For true lift-able Jeeps you have to go back in time. You can lift a WK (2005 to 2010) but its more complex because of the IFS and CV axle joint angles.
im actually not surprised you cant lift the new KL. personally i think the trailhawk looks aggressive enough on a set of 31s and with the drivetrain i think it will be somewhat capable with the proper armor. just sucks that jeep engineered it to be "unliftable", but these things are bound to happen as more and more vehicles go IFS and drop the SFA. but think of it this way, for the guys that always lift stuff and always get the itch- they know theyre limited so the urge is nipped in the but, so you have to focus on other things.

given the IFS of the WK, i find it crazy how close of an eye you need to keep on your CV angles and lift heights- anything over 23" on just springs youre SOL. it is complex to lift an IFS but it can be done if you have the sheckles to do so... $1400+ for a SL to get 4" on a WK no including labor and whatever else.
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

Honestly I would have one of each; a newer street Jeep for winter driving and boat towing and an older TJ/XJ/ZJ lifted for off road and beach running. BTW the low resale value of older Grands makes them great deals to pick up used and modify.
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Honestly I would have one of each; a newer street Jeep for winter driving and boat towing and an older TJ/XJ/ZJ lifted for off road and beach running. BTW the low resale value of older Grands makes them great deals to pick up used and modify.
ive honestly been kicking the idea of going back to a WJ and unloading the WK. but with a bun in the oven, 4drs some leather and creature comforts will make things alot easier.

down the road, ill be replacing the WK with a LJR once i can ditch the carseat
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

No sure about this but I don't think there are any lift kits for Fiats either.
Unread 02-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #11
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

It really does suck that you can lift one of these. Their not really my cup of tea but I think a KL with a lift and some 31's of so squeezed under it would look pretty cool and be pretty capable too.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Since it's really a front wheel drive European car platform, Fiat already built inthe max lift during the KL design. Read that it will take an entirely new subframe up front ad some kind of blocks in rear. Most likely mod will be to cut the body to clear larger tires.

Biggest bummer is that it defaults to FWD off road, the rears only kick in if the system detects front wheel slippage. Means that in soft stuff it will start to dig a hole in front.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:37 AM   #13
paroxysym
2007 WK 

I think the trail hawk looks perfect with the 31s it comes with. Any bigger you're cutting into the MPG
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #14
loveracing1988

Quote:
Rocky road actually makes spacer lifts for the wk2. One or 2 inches but better than nothing.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
ASUsax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Rocky road actually makes spacer lifts for the wk2. One or 2 inches but better than nothing.
They can do that because Jeep built the suspension Geometry to accommodate the QL system. So you can take a non-QL WK2 up... a little.
Blue Jeep Club Member #197
'02 TJ - 33" BFG MT's's, some armor, yadda yadda. 2" BDS lift/1"BL
'94 ZJ - May it rest in pieces.
ASUsax is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.