Select-Terrain (Awesome!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Select-Terrain (Awesome!)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
btbean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Select-Terrain (Awesome!)

So, after trading in my AWD Outlander Sport, I realized something.....Jeep did an amazing job with the single speed select-terrain AWD on the Cherokee. We got between 9 and ten inches of snow last night and the wife and I decided to drive about 20 miles to go Christmas shopping. I clicked the Limited into Snow mode and off we went. The Jeep stuck to teh road like glue and I only felt very limited slip in traction. It plowed through the snow like a Sherman Tank!!!!! I am definitely loving this thing!

Only question is this. With torque vectoring in Snow mode, will you smell residual hydraulic fluid after the drive? When we got home, I could smell what smelled like burned fluid..... Anyone else notice this when using their AWD for the first time?

The image is after we got home. I managed to keep 24.0 MPG in Snow mode going 55 mph in about five inches of snow....

tardis_snowplow.jpg  
btbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I wonder if its the brakes.I think they may be applied by the traction control system.Just a guess.
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

good review , will look for more as the winter progresses. was that with the stock tires?
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
btbean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismo61 View Post
I wonder if its the brakes.I think they may be applied by the traction control system.Just a guess.
Thats I what I summize. It smelled of hydraulic and carbon residue.
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
btbean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
good review , will look for more as the winter progresses. was that with the stock tires?
Thanks! Yes it was with the stock all-season tires.
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

When I drive our Patriot up a slippery ski hill access road and park it for the day it stinks like that but so does our 99 XJ Cherokee in those conditions.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

bt, sounds like you are really enjoying your jeep, good for you.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
btbean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
bt, sounds like you are really enjoying your jeep, good for you.
But of course! Just wish I could enjoy it without the mileage adding up. Ha ha!
Unread 01-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

good to hear....I've been jeep for awhile and have had 2 x Grand Cherokee, 3 x wranglers, 2 x liberties. my wife has a Nissan rogue which is a nice car and we have talked about going back to the Cherokee Limited. Heck, if she doesn't do it I might think about trading my 2012 Rubi in for it. keep us posted
tcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
btbean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcass View Post
good to hear....I've been jeep for awhile and have had 2 x Grand Cherokee, 3 x wranglers, 2 x liberties. my wife has a Nissan rogue which is a nice car and we have talked about going back to the Cherokee Limited. Heck, if she doesn't do it I might think about trading my 2012 Rubi in for it. keep us posted
We just traded my wife's Tucson in on a Nissan. Drove the new Rogue and the old one but settled on a loaded Altima. I would have preferred the Rogue as she would have, too. But they had one on the lot (loaded SV) and the price point wasnt where I wanted to be. They claimed they didnt know when anymore would come in. One came in the next morning when we took delivery of her car. Go figure.
Unread 01-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
Homework
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbean View Post
So, after trading in my AWD Outlander Sport, I realized something.....Jeep did an amazing job with the single speed select-terrain AWD on the Cherokee. We got between 9 and ten inches of snow last night and the wife and I decided to drive about 20 miles to go Christmas shopping. I clicked the Limited into Snow mode and off we went. The Jeep stuck to teh road like glue and I only felt very limited slip in traction. It plowed through the snow like a Sherman Tank!!!!! I am definitely loving this thing!

Only question is this. With torque vectoring in Snow mode, will you smell residual hydraulic fluid after the drive? When we got home, I could smell what smelled like burned fluid..... Anyone else notice this when using their AWD for the first time?

The image is after we got home. I managed to keep 24.0 MPG in Snow mode going 55 mph in about five inches of snow....

unless you find any leakages, what you smell was just something burned off in a new car. some car may still have it until a couple thousands miles on it.
Homework is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.