Panoramic moonroof question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Panoramic moonroof question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 03-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
mm76

Panoramic moonroof question

Ok, so I am very close to buying my first Jeep. Cherokee Limited, V6. A sunroof has always been something I loved, so the panoramic moonroof was at the top of my wish list. Then I spoke to a coworker who has owned 3 Jeeps and he warned me not to get a Jeep with a sunroof due to major leaking problems. I have since done my own research and found lots of issues with leaks and noises. This has made me very nervous and I have asked my salesman to find me something without the moonroof. Still, part of me really wants one. What advice/experience can you give me. Is the panoramic moonroof more hassle than it's worth?
Thanks in advance.

mm76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
CDNTrailHawk
2014 KL Cherokee 

No issues with mine as of yet. It seems like a pretty solid design and its survived a pile of car-washes. I've had sunroofs in my Ram and wife's Journey with no issues either. Come to think of it, the only leaky roof I've had was in an '84 BMW beater (and it was 20+ years old at the time!).

If you want one, get one! It'll be a new car under warranty, so in the off chance that it acts up, at least you're protected. I love the giant roof in the KL - wouldn't have it without one!
CDNTrailHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Never had a car that had a leaky moonroof. I love my Cherokee's moonroof and couldn't get the regular version after having this. Only wish it opened like the Skyview version. Obviously the KL is still new but haven't seen any issues with leaks.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #4
rt-texas
2014 KL Cherokee 

No issues with mine. Even took it through a touch less car was and looked for issues all the way round. Not a drop.

But I do have to admit...took it another time through and had left the sunroof open in the vent position (back popped up an inch or two). It does let water in then. Doh!
Unread 03-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
murray_in_utah
2000 WJ 

ok i have had several jeep CG and a new TH KL, all of them with the sun roofs. i have never had a problem. and the only part that would have a problem maybe would be the rubber seal might wear out around the moving window. so just buy a new seal they are not hard to replace and not terribly expensive either. you will always regret not having the panoramic roof. i just took my trailhawk to Moab and the panoramic roof made the back seat awesome because you could just see everything up the canyon walls it was awesome.
murray_in_utah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
LibOwner
2008 KK Liberty 

Kj Sun Shade Question

Does the sun shade extend all the way to the front of the panoramic sun roof? I am concerned about the sun shining directly into the front seat area, especially my eyes when I am driving, during the middle of the day (and the sun is high in the sky).

My concern is that the sun shade only covers the rear (non-moving) portion of the overhead glass. I have not been able to find any pictures or video of the sun shade. My Liberty (KK) has a completely opaque slider that entirely covers the sun roof glass.

Thanks!
LibOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
OttawaJeeper
2014 KL Cherokee 

Yes The sun shade covers the whole glass area. I love the panoramic roof
OttawaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Turbozcs2003
2002 WJ 

Get the sunroof. The only things which can cause leaks is the drains can get clogged, fix is to blow compressed air down them to clean them out.

A good maintenance practice on the sunroofs is to once a year open them up, take paper towel and clean the tracks they ride on, then relube em.

Also a good practice is only open and close them when parked( unless your caught in a down poor), this will min the risk of wind buffeting knock them out of the track.
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
NHJeepOwner
2014 KL Cherokee 

I have a 2014 Trailhawk and I would say go for the Sunroof. The noise can be an issue but the light it brings in makes it worth it. Have not had an issue with it leaking.
NHJeepOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm76 View Post
Ok, so I am very close to buying my first Jeep. Cherokee Limited, V6. A sunroof has always been something I loved, so the panoramic moonroof was at the top of my wish list. Then I spoke to a coworker who has owned 3 Jeeps and he warned me not to get a Jeep with a sunroof due to major leaking problems. I have since done my own research and found lots of issues with leaks and noises. This has made me very nervous and I have asked my salesman to find me something without the moonroof. Still, part of me really wants one. What advice/experience can you give me. Is the panoramic moonroof more hassle than it's worth?
Thanks in advance.
Maybe noises on some but I have not heard of any with leaks.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
DM9463

All great comments, thanks.

I am about to pick up my 2015 KL Limited with sunroof; does anyone have a comment about interference with cross rails of a roof rack? What is the raised exterior height when open?
DM9463 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
jim2527

I live on a golf course....if I had a sunroof it'd turn into a sun hole in short notice!!!
jim2527 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.