Painting over chrome plastic? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Painting over chrome plastic?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
bruceg

Painting over chrome plastic?

I've had my Cherokee now for all of about 2 hours and I'm already thinking of stuff to do to it.
First thing I want to do is paint the chrome JEEP logos and front chrome grill accents black.
What's the best way to do this that it won't:
A - chip off in a month
b - look cheap

I know painting over this chrome plastic crap can be tricky. Should I blast it down to bare plastic and go from there or is there anything out there that will be a solid primer over chrome?

bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Plasti dip, look it up, comes in a spray can.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
bruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
Plasti dip, look it up, comes in a spray can.
I always hear mixed stuff on the durability. Some people tell me it sucks and some people swear by it.
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a friend with it on his JKUR emblems, its held up well for the last few years. the top of the triple tree on my bike is also done in it, still looks like it did the day i sprayed it. Like with anything prep goes along way, but plasti dip is pretty forgiving, and if you screw up it just peals right off, no marks, no residue.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
bruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
I have a friend with it on his JKUR emblems, its held up well for the last few years. the top of the triple tree on my bike is also done in it, still looks like it did the day i sprayed it. Like with anything prep goes along way, but plasti dip is pretty forgiving, and if you screw up it just peals right off, no marks, no residue.
Nice so is the prep work like painting? Do you sand it as well or just make sure it's really clean?
Also, when cleaning your vehicle and all, you won't damage it/peel it?
Unread 12-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
bruceg

Nevermind. Watched some videos. Seems you just make sure the area is really clean and dry and you're good to go.
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
4x4kingx889
2005 KJ Liberty 

painted my badges in my KJ well over a year ago and there still pretty decent plasti-dip is good
Silver 05 sport crd-Ehm,Orm,wix oversized oilfilter,shell rotell,2nd gen fuelhead,Fumoto oil drain valve,muffler delete,cat removed,V6 airbox swap,evic added,HVAC controls modded, Franken lifted II,hercules Terra Tracs 245/75/16,Full l.e.d. interior swap,hayden fan clutch and nylon fan
4x4kingx889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.