Opinions on Active Drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Opinions on Active Drive

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 11-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Opinions on Active Drive

Alright, I've been banging around whether to snatch up a new KL or sit around and wait for a used GC. But one thing that is bothering me is the Active Drive system. Based on what I've read, it operates in FWD mode until it needs to send power to the rear axle. As I understand even the most basic QT system on the JGC, the QT systems split power between both axles and shift power as needed to either axle or control the power at each individual wheel when needed. Which sounds like even QT1 > AD

Is my understanding incorrect about the AD system? The Sport mode puts it in a 40/60 split. Do the other modes adjust in a similar manner?

I'm just trying to compare the normal operation for someone who gets AD1 with Selec-Terrain if it truly would trump another system like Subaru or Ford Explorer's borrowed Land Rover setup, etc. I would imagine this system in Auto mode really has no major advantages over a basic system found in a Kia Sportage or Ford Edge being they also operate in FWD and adjust power when slipping occurs. I'm guessing we will see Ford's system make it down to the Edge/Escape and other manufacturers create similar terrain select systems as well. At which point I don't see where Jeep's system is much better unless you need a locker or low range.

Someone sell me on it from a technology and performance perspective. I want to be able to laugh at 6+ inches of unplowed snowy roads or the people sliding around in their Kia Sportage while the AD's Snow mode is dominating (assuming both drivers are driving properly in the snow).

sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
loveracing1988

In theory if you put it in any mode besides auto it will operate in full time all wheel drive, just like the grand cherokee.
loveracing1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
starscream
1981 CJ5 

With Standard mode, the front/rear split varies depending on conditions; most of the time, the Cherokee should stay in front wheel drive for better gas mileage.

Sport limits traction control, increases stability-control slip thresholds, changes the torque bias for better cornering, and allows a target front/rear torque split of 40/60 for a rear-drive feel.

Snow starts in second gear, sets brake controls for slick surfaces, and goes into full time 4x4, preferring a 60/40 front/rear split.

Mud/Sand is similar but uses off-road brake controls, and a preferred split of 100% rear wheel drive.

Finally, Rock, on Trailhawk only (and requiring 4x4 Low), is similar to Mud/Sand but increases brake lock differential capacity and locks the differential.

Above is taken from http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/2014...#ixzz2kelsAU2T
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
With Standard mode, the front/rear split varies depending on conditions; most of the time, the Cherokee should stay in front wheel drive for better gas mileage.

Sport limits traction control, increases stability-control slip thresholds, changes the torque bias for better cornering, and allows a target front/rear torque split of 40/60 for a rear-drive feel.

Snow starts in second gear, sets brake controls for slick surfaces, and goes into full time 4x4, preferring a 60/40 front/rear split.

Mud/Sand is similar but uses off-road brake controls, and a preferred split of 100% rear wheel drive.

Finally, Rock, on Trailhawk only (and requiring 4x4 Low), is similar to Mud/Sand but increases brake lock differential capacity and locks the differential.

Above is taken from http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/2014...#ixzz2kelsAU2T
Thanks for that link it had tons of info!
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.