New Cherokee Bugs ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > New Cherokee Bugs ?

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 12-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

New Cherokee Bugs ?

Besides the 9 speed transmission issues, are there any other issues new potential buyers need to be aware of BEFORE purchasing a new Cherokee ?

Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
KL14Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu
Besides the 9 speed transmission issues, are there any other issues new potential buyers need to be aware of BEFORE purchasing a new Cherokee ?
What are the transmission issues?
KL14Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14Bulldog
What are the transmission issues?
Random software issues mostly shift placement and not engaging 8th or 9th gear but I've seen multiple threads just today from different users experiencing major electronic related issues with their new KL to the point they are inoperable.

Also seen at least 1 vehicle buy back and 1 transmission replaced with less than 500 miles.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Random software issues mostly shift placement and not engaging 8th or 9th gear but I've seen multiple threads just today from different users experiencing major electronic related issues with their new KL to the point they are inoperable.

Also seen at least 1 vehicle buy back and 1 transmission replaced with less than 500 miles.
^This, transmission issues ranging from TCM programing issues to complete failure appear to be common.

On top of the transmission issues, problems with the radio, misc. electrical issues, buzzing/rattling/misc. noises, much lower than rated fuel mileage (this may be due to them not being broken in), throttle hesitation, and oil/fluid leaks all appear to be common.

The new KL Cherokee appears to have more bugs than a cheap motel and it would probably be best to avoid them for the first couple years. Virtually all new new/redesigned vehicles have some bugs but the new KL (2014+) Cherokee has and likely will have more than most. This is to be expected with a relatively new platform (the Dart which the KL is based on is only a couple years old) with major re-engineering/changes, a brand new first of its kind transmission, new engine variants, and a ton of electrical items/ electronics (which Fiat and Chrysler have never been good at) much of which are new or significantly updated/modified.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
^This transmission issues ranging from TCM programing issues to complete failure appear to be common.

On top of the transmission issues, problems with the radio, misc. electrical issues, buzzing/rattling/misc. noises, much lower than rated fuel mileage (this may be due to them not being broken in), throttle hesitation, and oil/fluid leaks all appear to be common.

The new KL Cherokee appears to have more bugs than a cheap motel and it would probably be best to avoid them for the first couple years. Virtually all new new/redesigned vehicles have some bugs but the new KL (2014+) Cherokee has and likely will have more than most. This is to be expected with a relatively new platform (the Dart which the KL is based on is only a couple years old) with major re-engineering/changes, a brand new first of its kind transmission, new engine variants, and a ton of electrical items/ electronics (which Fiat and Chrysler have never been good at) much of which are new or significantly updated/modified.
That is really disappointing.

I have a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket right now too.

You'd think in the year 2014 (almost) and with all the high tech diagnostic computers and knowledge that these quality control issues would NOT happen on a large scale.

Yes, new models have bugs but come on man!
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Tikiman1220

Just got the new cherokee latitude ... Wonderful car great ride . I had electronic issues with some sensors not being grounded correctly but the service techs got it cleared out. I will say between gear 2 n 3 It has some lag but no harsh issues and I'm guessing it's a computer issue with timing and they will update it soon enough.
Tikiman1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
bruceg

Personally, I'm not having ANY issues with mine (knock on wood). Transmission issues are varying. HOWEVER - Jeep isn't turning a blind eye to it and they are fixing the ones with issues. I'd suspect they will likely have a re flash/something similar in the future to really solidify transmission issues.
Bottom line is if you want a super nice SUV, there is nothing that will touch the Cherokee in it's price range (IMO). Get one. You may have some transmission issues or you may not. What I CAN tell you is that I'd be willing to bet there are MANY MANY more Cherokees out there with NO issues than there are WITH issues. As with ANYTHING in life, you always hear much more about the bad than you do the good!!
OH, and as far people with new Cherokees complaining about rough shifting - it smooths up BIG time after about 250-300 miles. Also, people who are saying that they can't get there jeep into 8th and 9th gear are NOT having transmission issues. You just won't see those gears under normal driving habbits. Many many people have gotten their Cherokees into 8th and 9th gear - but it takes more than highway speeds to do so.

Anyway, I hope this post has put OP and anyone else's worries at bay who may be thinking about a new Cherokee. You guys also have to realize that the Cherokee has only been out for what - 6-8 weeks? It isn't a car that's been in production for years that has the kinks worked out. You're buying a newly designed vehicle. I'd probably be MORE worried if it DIDN'T have SOME issues upon release.
bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
priell3
2014 KL Cherokee 

Knock on wood, mine is good so far...
2003 KJ
2000 XJ
priell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
LouC
2007 WK 

I've been a Jeep and Chrysler fan for many many years (since the 70s) but the best advice I can give any of you is WAIT a few years and if you need a new vehicle now then pick one that's been out a while. When they dropped the Hemi in the WK I for sure wanted one bad but waited till it was out a few years and sure enough, the 05s had a lot of issues, the 07s much less. I got my 98 at the end of the ZJ run and there were STILL issues, don't say you haven't been warned.
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
bruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
I've been a Jeep and Chrysler fan for many many years (since the 70s) but the best advice I can give any of you is WAIT a few years and if you need a new vehicle now then pick one that's been out a while. When they dropped the Hemi in the WK I for sure wanted one bad but waited till it was out a few years and sure enough, the 05s had a lot of issues, the 07s much less. I got my 98 at the end of the ZJ run and there were STILL issues, don't say you haven't been warned.
What you're saying is true to an extent. All new vehicles will have some issues...but we aren't in 2005 anymore. lol That was almost 10 years ago. Automobile technology is in a WAY different place today than it was 8-10 years ago.
With that said, I don't foresee the Cherokee having any other issues than the transmission issues and other minor problems here and there people are experiencing.
As I said, I guarantee you there's MANY more Cherokees out there having NO issues than the one's experiencing issues.
You will always hear more about the bad than the good!
Unread 12-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceg
What you're saying is true to an extent. All new vehicles will have some issues...but we aren't in 2005 anymore. lol That was almost 10 years ago. Automobile technology is in a WAY different place today than it was 8-10 years ago. With that said, I don't foresee the Cherokee having any other issues than the transmission issues and other minor problems here and there people are experiencing. As I said, I guarantee you there's MANY more Cherokees out there having NO issues than the one's experiencing issues. You will always hear more about the bad than the good!
It's worse with a vehicle design so polarizing as the KL because everyone is quick to call it a failure...
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
bruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
It's worse with a vehicle design so polarizing as the KL because everyone is quick to call it a failure...
I know. The sales numbers are enough to tell me it's anything but a fail IMO. I think it's a great addition to Jeep's lineup. When I bought my Cherokee I bought it knowing that there was a possibility of issues... Those things happen with a newly designed vehicle. And I don't think Jeep took anything away from their brand with the Cherokee. It's a perfectly capable offroad vehicle. Sure, it isn't going to do what a Wrangler can do, but uh - Jeep never had that in mind with this vehicle.
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
LouC
2007 WK 

Don't get me wrong I really hope it is successful, but vehicle design now is even more complex than it was 5-7 years ago. That makes problems at start up more likely than back then. Keep in mind the Cherokee was delayed to fix problems, but there are still problems. As such if I had a choice, I'd rather wait till the solutions are known, and that equals updates done in production which = less trips to the dealer.
Just as an example, look at what happened with the N23 recall for the Grand Cherokees, this turned into a disaster for some owners with no solution from Chrysler as of yet. Not acceptable, at all.
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
tptman
2014 KL Cherokee 

So far, I am very disappointed with my 2014 Cherokee Limited. Heat didn't work, check engine light was on, and now the collision warning isn't working. Car has been in the shop for over a week...needs blower module, new blower motor, and who knows what else. Has about 600 miles on it. Saying that bugs should be expected in a new platform is absurd in my opinion. With the design and manufacturing technology we have, there is no excuse for poor quality and faulty engineering....certainly not on a $35K car. I've had cars from other manufacturers that were on new platforms and did not have a single problem with them.
tptman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
bruceg

No matter how much testing they do BEFORE launch, they can't possibly work everything out. If any of you guys ever play RPG's or MMO's at launch, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Testing a handful of vehicles at the factory, etc is not going to work everything out. When thousands of vehicles go out, you have thousands of testers...

Again, some of you guys are acting like there's SO MANY Cherokees out there with issues. In reality, the number of people having issues to the number of people not having issues is extremely small. The difference is that the thousands of people who aren't having issues and are happy with their Cherokee aren't making threads about it every day like the people who are. This makes it seem a LOT worse than it really is.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the Cherokee is new to Jeep. (And every other manufacturer for that matter). Jeep didn't regurgitate some garbage and call it a new vehicle. This isn't some same old same old design they just had laying around. The fact that SOME Cherokees ARE having issues is a testament to the fact that Jeep is doing NEW things. As I said, if it DIDN'T have some issues, I'd be questioning just how much NEW is in this "newly" designed vehicle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.