Mpg 23.6 - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Mpg 23.6

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 12-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #76
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

Cold weather also reduces gas mileage and so in certain parts of the country, now is not a good time to see how good your new vehicle does. I also have a Juke and it didn't start getting 27 mpg at 75 mph until it had about 8,000 miles on it (it has never seen the 30 mpg on the highway that it is rated). Nissan also said some of these new engines take longer to break in.

JeepGC6855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #77
nomoremkx
2014 KL Cherokee 

I'm not a lead foot but not a hyper miler either! I drive with the traffic and have not had a ticket in 30 years and don't plan on getting one but, I won't sit in the right lane and block traffic. I think that's dangerous. I live and drive in the Chicago-land area so the only time I even look at the posted speed limit or my speedometer is on the rare occasion that I am alone on the road.

I would gladly give up MPG's for not having to stop for gas every three to four days. It's a pain in the arse and uses up time that I do not have. Once a week would be nice...

@ Brassmonkey: Thanks for the update. I started this thread to see what other people are getting in terms of MPG. Not to rant or brag, just to see what everyone else is getting. I was thinking about stopping my posts because no one cared to share, so thanks!

@NHPATRIOT: I include the hours because the EVIC includes them. I have no idea why the hours matter, it's just that since I have them... I include them.

On a side note that may not be for this thread, is the EVIC display supposed to show the nav system directions when you are using the nav?
nomoremkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #78
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoremkx View Post
On a side note that may not be for this thread, is the EVIC display supposed to shoe the nav system directions when you are using the nav?
There should be a setting in your radio that will enable that feature.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #79
nomoremkx
2014 KL Cherokee 

Where!???
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #80
Darkwolf
2014 KL Cherokee 

I have a V6 ADI and make 30 mile commute each way. I will break down the number of miles at each speed limit and what I travel at below, but it is about 6 miles of open township driving and then mixed highway. This is also the car we use most on weekends so trips to the grocery store and Mall are included. I am averaging 23.8 per the vehicle's display. I am sure it is overstated, every vehicle with a mileage display seems to overstate the MPG, ...assume it is closer to 23 which is what I expected.

6 miles city/town 45MPH limit/drive 50-55MPH(lights every 1/2 to 1/4 mile, but I don't usually get caught by 2 many of them.)
8 miles highway 65MPH/70-75 reality
4 miles highway 60MPH/50-70 reality depending on traffic
3 miles highway 55MPH/45-65 depending on traffic
7 miles highway 65MPH/70-75 (any less and you are going to get run over)
2 mile country road 45/45-50.

I don't have a lead foot, but I don't putter around either. One thing I have noticed is that the Cherokee will coast long distances without losing much speed, so I do get off the accelerator pedal early when I know I have a stop ahead...that really seems to help the MPG.
Darkwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #81
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Couple points for ya'll to ponder.

#1) I already posted about new, low mileage engines being TIGHT from the factory and need AT LEAST 3-4,000 miles on them BEFORE MPGs should even be considered.

#2) It would be real helpful if folks posted your Cherokee's current Odometer reading with your post.

#3) 9 REASONS WHY YOU VEHICLE GETS BAD FUEL MILEAGE DURING THE WINTER

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm

Quote:
As if we really needed another reason to hate winter.

Those of us living in northern climes have already started to notice the seasonal decline in fuel economy, even with careful attention to sagging tire pressure (probably the best known effect of the mercury's slide).

Yet, despite diligent all-around maintenance and continued careful driving, cold weather fuel consumption can be dramatically worse than in warm temperatures.

How much worse?

Have a gander at these calculations for a Honda Civic hybrid at 60 MPH in varying ambient temperatures:

MPH-----AMBIENT-TEMP-----MPG (US)

60------------95----------52.98
60------------85----------52.62
60------------75----------51.16
60------------65----------49.12
60------------55----------47.22
60------------45----------44.67
60------------35----------43.05
60------------25----------41.54
60------------15----------39.41
60------------05----------38.09

Look at the extremes: the coldest MPG is 28% lower than the warmest. (Source.)

My own experience supports this: 12.5% worse mileage during the colder half of the year (Oct 15 to Apr 15) than for the warmest half (Apr 15 - Oct 15), on average 2002-2004 in my 1989 Accord. Comparing just the warmest months (Jun-Aug) to the coldest (Dec-Feb), the difference is even more apparent - 21.2% worse (2002).

Why so bad? Off the top of my head, I could think of a couple of reasons to explain it, but together they didn't seem significant enough to account for the magnitude of the change. With this mystery to solve, I hit Google. And here's what I learned...

9 reasons your winter fuel economy bites

1. More idling

This should be a no-brainer, yet parked idling cars are a common sight in cold weather. Resist the temptation to idle your car to warm it up. An idling engine gets 0 mpg. Consider also that idling the engine does nothing to warm up the tires and drivetrain.

Even in the coldest weather, you can begin driving after 30 seconds from a cold start - keep speeds low/moderate and use gentle acceleration until the temperature gauge starts to climb (source).

2. Low tire pressure

Of course you're smart enough to keep up your tire pressure as the temperature drops, right? A 10-degree (F) change in ambient temperature equates to a 1 psi change in tire pressure (source). Fuel economy declines 0.4 percent for every 1 psi drop (source).

3. Increased rolling resistance

Even if you're completely attentive to proper tire pressure, cold ambient temperatures will still cause your tires to return worse mileage. That's because a tire's shape isn't completely round - the sidewall bulges out at the bottom, and where the tread meets the road the small contact patch is actually flat. As the tire rotates, it constantly deforms to this shape, and this deformation requires more energy when the rubber is cold and hard. Rolling resistance at 0 degrees F is 20% greater than at 80 degrees (source 1, source 2).

4. Crappy road conditions

It's increased rolling resistance of another kind: driving through slush and snow. And then there's its wasteful polar (no pun intended) opposite: no friction at all! (A.K.A. wheelspin on ice.)

5. Lower average engine temperature

In the winter, an engine takes longer to reach operating temperature and cools off faster when shut off. Since the engine management system orders up a richer mixture when cold (proportionately more fuel in the air/fuel combination), more fuel is being burned overall.

A block heater can offset this problem (improving fuel economy by 10% in sub-zero conditions - source), as can garage parking, and combining trips (to minimize the number of cold/hot cycles).

Also related...

6. Higher average lubricant viscosity

Engine oil thickens as it cools. So does transmission and differential fluids and even bearing grease. Significantly more energy is needed to overcome the added drag these cold lubricants cause.

Using synthetic fluids can address this problem, since their viscosity changes less at extreme temperatures than traditional mineral fluids.

7. Weaker gasoline

Gasoline doesn't vaporize readily at very cold temperatures. So oil companies formulate fuel differently for cold-weather markets in the winter. Unfortunately, the changes that provide better cold vaporization characteristics also result in less available energy for combustion. You won't get as far on a liter of winter gas as you will on a liter of summer gas. (Source.)

8. Higher electrical loads

In colder temps, you use electrical accessories more often:

- lights (in higher lattitudes it's darker in the winter)
- rear window defroster (because it's easier than using the ice scraper, right?)
- heater blower motor (I don't have a/c, so this isn't balanced out during warm conditions); heated seats/mirrors
- windshield washer pump (because it's easier than using the ice scraper, right? And for frequently cleaning off dirty road spray.)

9. More aerodynamic drag

No, I'm not referring to the layer of snow you're too lazy to brush off the top of the car (though that would hurt mpg too).

A vehicle’s aerodynamic drag is proportional to air density, and the density increases as temperature drops. For every 10 degree F drop in temperature, aerodynamic drag increases by 2% (source).
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #82
btbean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Where!???
Under your apps or in controls, go to settings and go to the nav settings. Will say, "show navigation in instrumemt panel" or something to that effect.

Edited: Just looked after a store run, you go to NAV and Settimgs, then Guidance, select Display turn-by-turn directions in instrumemt cluster.

Last edited by btbean; 12-30-2013 at 09:27 PM..
btbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #83
btbean
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Couple points for ya'll to ponder.

#1) I already posted about new, low mileage engines being TIGHT from the factory and need AT LEAST 3-4,000 miles on them BEFORE MPGs should even be considered.

#2) It would be real helpful if folks posted your Cherokee's current Odometer reading with your post.

#3) 9 REASONS WHY YOU VEHICLE GETS BAD FUEL MILEAGE DURING THE WINTER

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm
When manufacturers calculate estimated mpg they use a coefficient of ideal conditions, ie. 75F, 0 humidity, 29.92 altimeter (barometric pressure). While our vehicles are never in 7deal conditions for any given period of time, its hard to see what you see in bold on your sticker. Thats why they also include a range of mpgs you should suspect or see. I have a KL limited with AD1 and was getting 23.9 combined going 50 in four unches of snow with the select-terrain set on snow according to the evic. Temp was 8F and barometer at 30.28 with snow falling. After the snow, same mog on same trip with different conditions. Weather affects mpg due to the density and temperature of the air in a NA engine, no doubt. My outlamder sport was rated at 30mpg by the sticker. Only saw it twice on 4800 miles: Once in Ohio at 70F going 55 and once leaving the hill at Ft. Riley at 68F going downhill at sub 40mph speeds. Its all atmospheric.
btbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #84
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
I'm not a lead foot but not a hyper miler either! I drive with the traffic and have not had a ticket in 30 years and don't plan on getting one but, I won't sit in the right lane and block traffic. I think that's dangerous. I live and drive in the Chicago-land area so the only time I even look at the posted speed limit or my speedometer is on the rare occasion that I am alone on the road.

I would gladly give up MPG's for not having to stop for gas every three to four days. It's a pain in the arse and uses up time that I do not have. Once a week would be nice...

@ Brassmonkey: Thanks for the update. I started this thread to see what other people are getting in terms of MPG. Not to rant or brag, just to see what everyone else is getting. I was thinking about stopping my posts because no one cared to share, so thanks!

@NHPATRIOT: I include the hours because the EVIC includes them. I have no idea why the hours matter, it's just that since I have them... I include them.

On a side note that may not be for this thread, is the EVIC display supposed to show the nav system directions when you are using the nav?
Going 60 MPH is not blocking traffic even when the posted limit is 70 MPH. Remember, the posted speed is the MAXIMUM not the starting point. I am not advocating 30 MPH on a 70 MPH highway but 60 MPH is fine. Screw others if they think otherwise. They don't pay for your gas.

60MPH is a reasonable speed to travel on any highway in the US( unless posted lower than that ). You are choosing to go faster and as a result your MPG suffers. Slow down and see what it gets. Also, if you seldom look at the speed you are traveling, but rather just keep up with traffic, I will bet at times you are hitting 75-80+ MPH without realizing it and your MPG is really going to suffer. Haven't you said that about 50% of your driving is city? If so and it is like driving in downtown Chicago or other big cities that means traffic and a lot of stop and go which KILLS MPG.

Your average MPG is right there with the EPA rating for mixed driving so I don't really see what has you so upset? You do 50/50 and you get what the vehicle is rated for as an average? I don't see the issue? You are not going to see the highway MPG rating if 50% of your driving is in the city. To get the highway #'s you need to do mostly highway( minimum 85%+ ).

It takes a concentrated effort on your part to get the best MPG possible from your vehicle. ANY vehicle actually. I am not talking hypermiling which is overkill and dangerous. I simply mean driving conservatively and making an effort to accelerate easily, keep to 60 MPH highway, keep up with maintenance and tire PSI, not load your vehicle down with a ton of crap, etc... If you are not willing to do that and at least try some of the things we have suggested then we can't help you.

As to Nav in the EVIC display. I "think" that only works in the 7" color display in the Limited and TH models. I don't believe it works on the smaller B&W display in the Latitude which I think is what you have.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #85
nomoremkx
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
Going 60 MPH is not blocking traffic even when the posted limit is 70 MPH. Remember, the posted speed is the MAXIMUM not the starting point. I am not advocating 30 MPH on a 70 MPH highway but 60 MPH is fine. Screw others if they think otherwise. They don't pay for your gas.

As to Nav in the EVIC display. I "think" that only works in the 7" color display in the Limited and TH models. I don't believe it works on the smaller B&W display in the Latitude which I think is what you have.
60 MPH is fine. Screw others if they think otherwise. I think I always end up behind you. Get in the right lane and get out of the way.

I have a limited loaded with ACC and the lux package.

Not so much complaining about the MPG and since starting this tread mine has gone up as I expected it to. I was wondering what everyone else was getting. You know... 8th gear... 9th gear and so forth. My only complaint is the small gas tank.
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:19 AM   #86
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
60 MPH is fine. Screw others if they think otherwise. I think I always end up behind you. Get in the right lane and get out of the way.

I have a limited loaded with ACC and the lux package.

Not so much complaining about the MPG and since starting this tread mine has gone up as I expected it to. I was wondering what everyone else was getting. You know... 8th gear... 9th gear and so forth. My only complaint is the small gas tank.
I thought you had a Latitude, sorry.

Yes, your Nav can display in the EVIC. Use this link and go to page 238( 237 of document )and it tells you how to display your Nav in the cluster( bottom right )...

http://www.jeep.com/deprecated/downl...oad-button.y=5

Ha ha. You sound like the people who go 90 and fly by everyone else out there. If I am going 60 MPH I am at the least going the minimum legal speed limit. If people are going 75, 80, 85+ they are exceeding the legal limit( at least where the posted limit is less than that ) so they are the ones who need to adjust their speed not me. I don't need to speed up or get out of anyone's way. They need to slow down and stop the zig-zag in and out like madmen. Slow down and save a life. It might even be your own.

You have complained about your MPG( as the thread went on )which is the whole reason I have continued on trying to help you. I will stop now.

Good luck with the vehicle.
Active Drive I
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #87
nomoremkx
2014 KL Cherokee 

I found the setting and thanks. Here's a little weird quirk I am seeing... When you are turning the steering wheel the center screen is blocked. Kind of no big del with the nav screen but with the auto park it is very annoying. Why did they not put the instructions in the nav screen you are looking at anyway? I know, I know... It's quicker to just park it yourself. The auto park is just for fun. But it is no fun bopping your head up and down trying to see the instructions.

Bought gas Yesterday (again). Here is the numbers if anyone cares. (Should I stop?)

Bought 14.453 gallons of gas that got me 342.3 miles at EVIC 24.5 MPG and pencil 23.7 MPG. 11:17 minutes to burn it up. Total since new is 3247.1 miles at 24.4 MPG.
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #88
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
(Should I stop?)
Don't stop, I feel a graph coming on. Good data there.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #89
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
I found the setting and thanks. Here's a little weird quirk I am seeing... When you are turning the steering wheel the center screen is blocked. Kind of no big del with the nav screen but with the auto park it is very annoying. Why did they not put the instructions in the nav screen you are looking at anyway? I know, I know... It's quicker to just park it yourself. The auto park is just for fun. But it is no fun bopping your head up and down trying to see the instructions.

Bought gas Yesterday (again). Here is the numbers if anyone cares. (Should I stop?)

Bought 14.453 gallons of gas that got me 342.3 miles at EVIC 24.5 MPG and pencil 23.7 MPG. 11:17 minutes to burn it up. Total since new is 3247.1 miles at 24.4 MPG.
No, keep posting for sure. Maybe leave the time out.

What I would like to know is the following as it will tell me a lot about how good or bad your MPG is( seeing as you are getting the EPA rated average to me it seems ok but let's see ). Please be as honest as possible and don't embellish one way or the other...

1 - What is the actual city % of your driving( say 35MPH and under )? I have seen you say 60 and 50 and it matters which it actually is. So what exactly is it as best as you can most accurately estimate the % to be? Also, is there a lot of stop and go in that city driving due to traffic and lights/stop signs?

2 - How cold is it where you are and are you doing any extended warm up idling before driving? How long do you let the car warm up before going when it is cold out?

3 - How fast are you actually driving when doing the highway portion of your trips? Do you use CC or drive yourself? If you use CC is it that adaptive one that keeps up with the other vehicles around you? I recall you saying you stay up with the flow of traffic and if that is so how fast is that flow usually? 70, 75, 80? You said if I was going 60 you would be hollering at me to get out of your way so how fast do you actually drive on the highway? It matters a lot.

I will be very curious to see your answers. And, nothing is meant hostile or offensive. It is all in the spirit of science so to speak.
Active Drive I
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #90
nomoremkx
2014 KL Cherokee 

Got it... I'm on it.

Graph? Way past my tech but someone else?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.